↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Red Booster.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Very Rural

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Red Booster.
When & if I get my Puma 110 back (see my other posts) I am considering fitting a Red Booster clutch servo, as typical of most Defenders, the clutch operation is very heavy. This is fine on short runs, but after a days driving at my age my left foot gets very painful.

Has anyone here fitted one to a Puma? Was it a relatively easy fit?

Thanks.
Post #998850 6th Jul 2023 11:06am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
The only thing I can add to this is that I also thought about the Red booster, but in the end went for the LOF Power spring and master cylinder.

Perfectly happy with the lightness of the pedal. It is akin to out Freelander 2, maybe a smidge lighter.

There is even a SALE on the spring/MC bundle at the moment https://lofclutches.com/shop/clutches/defe...-cylinder/
Post #998853 6th Jul 2023 11:20am
Very Rural

Thanks very much for that,

I might well go for that instead, a lot cheaper that the Red Booster, & it's not going to impinge on the space on the bulkhead.
Post #998855 6th Jul 2023 11:37am
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
whilst I appreciate what geo has said , ill just add that I did go down the road of a redboost on my 2.2l puma.. and have compared the redboots to the spring mod... there is no comparison in terms of ease of use of the clutch..the spring may be good enough for your needs but it just doesn't compare to the lightness that the servo gives...at a price of course..
nothing that hard about fitting it but you may have to loosen off a few brake pipes from their bulkhead mounts, which for some reason landcover decided to route across the top of the pedal box...and on the puma the bolt in the end of the pedal box is simply a stop for the pedal travel...I think some instructions indicate it can alter the stroke, or something like that..
ive been really impressed with this particular mod, the only thing I keep wondering is whether there is a spares back up should the servo fail at some point..
without the engine running the clutch is heavy... so you tend not to leave it in gear when switching off..
that could be overcome by fitting an electric pump with a switch that allowed it to come on with ignition and possibly shut down once a good vacuum was detected..
Post #998885 6th Jul 2023 1:25pm
Very Rural

Thanks Andy,
Nice to have a comparison. I too had wondered about spares availability for the Red Booster. It's quite a small vacuum servo, & only just fits the available space.

When I get my Defender back, I will make a decision.
Thanks again.
Post #998890 6th Jul 2023 1:36pm
andy63

you are welcome..
the servo unit does just fit in, but on mine , to allow that to happen the cooling system header tank had to be moved to the nearside wing..that was covered in my instructions..
Post #998892 6th Jul 2023 1:43pm
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Can't comment on installation, but my TD5 had a red booster fitted for years without fault. Fabulous piece of kit in my book - Wonderfully light! Thumbs Up Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #998894 6th Jul 2023 1:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
andy63 wrote:
whilst I appreciate what geo has said , ill just add that I did go down the road of a redboost on my 2.2l puma.. and have compared the redboots to the spring mod... there is no comparison in terms of ease of use of the clutch..the spring may be good enough for your needs but it just doesn't compare to the lightness that the servo gives...at a price of course..
nothing that hard about fitting it but you may have to loosen off a few brake pipes from their bulkhead mounts, which for some reason landcover decided to route across the top of the pedal box...and on the puma the bolt in the end of the pedal box is simply a stop for the pedal travel...I think some instructions indicate it can alter the stroke, or something like that..
ive been really impressed with this particular mod, the only thing I keep wondering is whether there is a spares back up should the servo fail at some point..
without the engine running the clutch is heavy... so you tend not to leave it in gear when switching off..
that could be overcome by fitting an electric pump with a switch that allowed it to come on with ignition and possibly shut down once a good vacuum was detected..

I agree Andy, that with just the LOF spring mod the pedal weight is better than standard, but not as light as a modern car. Have you tried the Spring and Master cylinder together? It is the combination that creates the light pedal.
Post #998895 6th Jul 2023 1:48pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
You can also use the spring and LOF Power Slave as a combo which also has the same effect. Works well and the wife is now able to drive the truck! TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #998899 6th Jul 2023 2:47pm
andy63

geobloke wrote:
andy63 wrote:

I agree Andy, that with just the LOF spring mod the pedal weight is better than standard, but not as light as a modern car. Have you tried the Spring and Master cylinder together? It is the combination that creates the light pedal.

ive only ever tried the spring in someone else vehicle..now whether they had the cylinder or not , I don't know...
but as I said the redboots would be hard to beat in terms of effort required... it takes a bit of getting used to when first installed..
I can depress my clutch with a single finger and hardly feel the pressure , but well used to it now..
Post #998926 6th Jul 2023 4:33pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
I had the LOF spring fitted and immediately noticed an improvement, but still very heavy and troublesome to my aging knee.

Gregg at T&C recommended fitting a Red Booster kit to my 2011 2.4 Puma as he had fitted several and explained it was as different as day & night. If I remember correctly, he told me that the air box would need to be repositioned which was a bit of a faf .

If I still have it next year I might invest the circa £1.2k and have this upgrade done. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #998991 7th Jul 2023 5:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andy63

Not sure about the air box reposition.. As I've said the cooling system header tank will require a relocation to the nearside wing... You do have to fit what I suppose could be described as an airbox inside the offside wing, which acts as a resovoir for the vacuum pump which already operates the servo on the existing brake system...

How much 😳.. I never gave the cost much thought.. I think mine was under £400 and fitted it myself.. That was only 18 months or so ago and I thought the price was fair for what you got, and as I've already said very happy with the result..
Hope you get sorted.. Long journeys or all day driving was killing my knee.. It took a little for the penny to drop as to what was causing it, as I'd not long had the defender and it's my first👍😂
Post #998998 7th Jul 2023 7:38am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
You might be right, it probably was the header tank now thinking out it…👍 Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #999006 7th Jul 2023 8:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
andy2111 wrote:
You can also use the spring and LOF Power Slave as a combo which also has the same effect. Works well and the wife is now able to drive the truck!

The 2.4 slave is different from all earlier engines in that the slave is integral with the clutch release bearing. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #999043 7th Jul 2023 11:39am
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
andy63 wrote:
whilst I.......

I'm in the process of fitting a Red Boostet to my 2007 2.4 tdci having felt how light it is on a friends tdci. As said the clutch is so light just one finger can depress the pedal fully. My friend OleDave on the forum here fitted an electric vacuum pump to overcome the problem of virtual impossible clutch operation when the engine is not running and loss of stored vacuum that can happen if left standing for days. It means you need to tee into the vacuum pipe and another non return valve to be added but this is quite a simple job. Indeed I designed him an automatic switch that energises the electric vacuum pump if the vacuum drops below a safe value and cuts out at a higher vacuum below that of the engine driven vac pump so the electric pump is not running all the time. I gave him several on and off vacuum settings to choose from. I used a neat little electronic solid state vacuum transducer to measure the vacuum with another T off the vac pipe. The device I found was extremely accurate and linear. So on mine I'm also using the same transducer but using its output not only to drive a Mosfet power transistor for the electric vac pump but also to display the current vacuu value on my instrument panel OLED display feature. As I need a few more ports on the vacuum line for these extra functions I decided to make my own vacuum reservoir from 75 mm aluminium box section adding the ports I need on the end plates. A much better job that won't go rusty like the one supplied on the Red Kit of bits.
Im lucky as I have an AC TIG welding set for Alu welding. Your welding needs to be good so the tank does not have even a pin hole leak. I tested mine over several days and no leaks were detected. Now must crack on and fit the servo and move the blasted header tank to the Nesrside of the engine. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #1000412 16th Jul 2023 5:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>