110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
TOYOTA?

I would rather walk!

Whistle Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter
Post #8402 13th Mar 2009 3:33pm
pretdave

South Africa 
The man who produced these videos is notorious in South Africa . Some love him - I think he is an idiot. All matter of opinion. It appears that Toyota have put a lot of time and cash into cultivating the media. In particular it appears that free 4x4' s have been supplied to people in influential positions. A local rag ,SA4x4, had a long term Land Cruiser 70 on their possession.(used as the editors personal transport) The editor waxed lyrical over this vehicle ,and in a shoot out with the Puma - guess which one came out tops.Despite the Puma on two occasions having to recover the LC. Nothing but superlatives for the Toyota.... Then about a year later Toyota appeared to cut back on all the Freebies.(economic turndown ?)The same editor in the same journal then went on record as stating he had changed his mind about the LC 70. He hated it . It was slow , uneconomical , uncomfortable.
Take with a pinch of salt the message in these videos .

Dave Pretdave
Defender 300Tdi HT
Discovery TD5
Post #35794 7th Jul 2010 6:55pm
sasha2001

Russia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
pretdave wrote:
The man who produced these videos is notorious in South Africa . Some love him - I think he is an idiot. All matter of opinion. It appears that Toyota have put a lot of time and cash into cultivating the media. In particular it appears that free 4x4' s have been supplied to people in influential positions. A local rag ,SA4x4, had a long term Land Cruiser 70 on their possession.(used as the editors personal transport) The editor waxed lyrical over this vehicle ,and in a shoot out with the Puma - guess which one came out tops.Despite the Puma on two occasions having to recover the LC. Nothing but superlatives for the Toyota.... Then about a year later Toyota appeared to cut back on all the Freebies.(economic turndown ?)The same editor in the same journal then went on record as stating he had changed his mind about the LC 70. He hated it . It was slow , uneconomical , uncomfortable.
Take with a pinch of salt the message in these videos .

Dave

Toyota new V8 diesel has its problems also:
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/191481.125...x%3fpn%3d2

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17964

Mining companies here are getting engines replaced also as well as rio tinto mentioned in that first post
Heard fo a foresty company getting blown engines at 50000km in several trucks not happy campers at all
ALso lot of "talk" about inadquate fuel filering system espically when farmers put in dodgy fuel, clogs up the one fuel filter!!! and bingo common rail stuffed NZ$30000!!! toyota refuse to acknowledge a problem here as in the article
there is a publication here called "dog and Lemon guide" who are aware of lots of problem here with the V8 and the new Hi lux , main problem is Mr toyota will not acknowledge anything at all
maybe only when they get on TV enough about it perhaps?????
Post #35801 7th Jul 2010 9:42pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
If money was no object and had an open checkbook at the dealership, I would have a defender 90 for off-road and a D3 for traveling.

But I don't have to buy one as I have both. Rolling with laughter Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #35844 8th Jul 2010 1:03pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
When he did that hill decent he should have had accleratered not just left feet off pedals. (its not a d3 with hill decent)

The reason why defenders handle so bad is the tyres the standard ones are rubbish. I cant see how a car with cart springs on the back can be better. Unless someone has driven a sultaran and can prove me wrong.

The other thing I cant believe how big the engine is in the toyota its massive it should be loads better than the defender, but he reckons its not as fast as defender. Can you imagine a defender with a tdv8 it would be amazing untill your upside down in a river.

Still the defender looks ace even with white roof.
Post #35888 8th Jul 2010 10:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12