↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Does anyone use a Radiator Muff during Winter?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
john adam

France 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
I use my landy for daily commuting (few kilometers between home and work) so in October I put on the radiator muff and it stay in place until springtime. The photo below was taken in the Italian Alps last winter, just after a long trip from Paris (so the muff was rolled).
Carlo

Click image to enlarge
 1971 88 Series IIA somewhere in Southern Italy
1989 Ninety stolen in Paris
2004 90 TD5 gone
2010 110 S Puma TDCI running
Post #108504 19th Dec 2011 8:41pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
The Boy wrote:
One idea I have is to have a roller blind the same width as the radiator. Fix it to the bottom of the rad with a thin wire coming up through a hole made in the cowling. This you could tie off at four positions fully open, 1/4, ½, ¾ and fully closed. If tomorrows test run goes well I may well have a go at this.

If you do one with palm trees on, I'm in Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #108511 19th Dec 2011 8:48pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The Boy wrote:
One idea I have is to have a roller blind the same width as the radiator. Fix it to the bottom of the rad with a thin wire coming up through a hole made in the cowling. This you could tie off at four positions fully open, 1/4, ½, ¾ and fully closed. If tomorrows test run goes well I may well have a go at this.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was rattling on about earlier in this thread except the 'period' ones I was referring to brought the blind control up into the dashboard - or underneath it. The muff was on a sprung loaded roller type blind affair mounted in front of and at the bottom of the rad, a Bowden cable was fitted to the blind which ran through the engine compartment and bulkhead and terminated in a length of chain and a ring. To raise the blind you just pulled the ring and then locked it in position by hooking the chain over a peg under the dash. More Series 1 than Puma but the ones I'm on about were on pre 1939 cars with tall rads, no water pumps and thermo syphon cooling. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #108518 19th Dec 2011 9:00pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This is what MOG is talking about.

E.G. a radiator blind on my old SAAB 2 Stroke, operated from the dash by string. Helps also if you put the rad behind the engine to keep things warm in cold climes Wink

Can't see it very well but the blind is at the bottom and is pulled up behind the grill!

The round plates on the inner wings can be notched up to provide ventilation to keep the engine bay/engine cooler....never really worked the bloody things always overheat in warm weather.....who's idea was it to put the rad behind the engine :roll:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #108524 19th Dec 2011 9:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Today I have done just over 350 miles with the card in front of the radiator. Left early this morning heading for Warrington my first stop. By the time I got to Sandbach services I was a bit worried that because the outside temperatures had risen it might have been getting a little too hot, so I pulled over and trimmed the card from ¾ covered to ½ covered. The first 25 miles of the 350 have been done over the last few days just going back and forth to work all cold starts and short journeys. I would expect to get around 19 to 22 mpg for this. As I wrote earlier in the thread I did 182 miles on Saturday travelling at 60-65 and got 26.3 mpg. Today I travelled at about the same speed and filled up before I got home. It recorded 27.9 mpg so that is and small improvement but whether it is down to the radiator being semi covered is another question. Also it should be noted that I have 285’s on the vehicle so logically is recording less miles on the clock than it would had I been running on 235’s.
Both mileages were recorded on BP fuel.
Post #108778 20th Dec 2011 7:24pm
ZeDefender

The Boy wrote:
Today I have done just over 350 miles with the card in front of the radiator. Left early this morning heading for Warrington my first stop. By the time I got to Sandbach services I was a bit worried that because the outside temperatures had risen it might have been getting a little too hot, so I pulled over and trimmed the card from ¾ covered to ½ covered. The first 25 miles of the 350 have been done over the last few days just going back and forth to work all cold starts and short journeys. I would expect to get around 19 to 22 mpg for this. As I wrote earlier in the thread I did 182 miles on Saturday travelling at 60-65 and got 26.3 mpg. Today I travelled at about the same speed and filled up before I got home. It recorded 27.9 mpg so that is and small improvement but whether it is down to the radiator being semi covered is another question. Also it should be noted that I have 285’s on the vehicle so logically is recording less miles on the clock than it would had I been running on 235’s.
Both mileages were recorded on BP fuel.

I'm beginning to theorise that using a full muff restricts the intercooler, reduces power and thereby improves fuel consumption. As I mentioned yesterday, my full muff stopped me going as fast as I would normally - is that possible? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #108788 20th Dec 2011 8:08pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Indeed you maybe right. Mine was running spot on today (as the intercooler was not covered just the rad).
Post #108789 20th Dec 2011 8:15pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
muff
Post #108803 20th Dec 2011 9:08pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
or this
Post #108804 20th Dec 2011 9:09pm
ZeDefender

Oh - just found a pic of rad and intercooler - so the intercooler is just a rectangular unit behind the right hand third of the rad (behind the Land Rover badge)? Thought it went underneath too Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #108817 20th Dec 2011 9:42pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
ZeDefender,

i am afraid you are looking at an oil-cooler or something (intercooler runs horizontal, oil coolers vertical on one side of radiator)

look here in the pictures both standard and performance intercooler pictured: http://www.defender2.net/forum/post60440.html

If you have airco the airco-cooler is hiding your intercooler.

regarding the muff, ideally you would put a sheet between radiator and intercooler but the frame has no slot as far as i can see on mine. Need a solution also so if i find something iĺl tune in.

Smile
Post #108829 20th Dec 2011 10:22pm
ZeDefender

tatra805 wrote:
ZeDefender,

i am afraid you are looking at an oil-cooler or something (intercooler runs horizontal, oil coolers vertical on one side of radiator)

look here in the pictures both standard and performance intercooler pictured: http://www.defender2.net/forum/post60440.html

If you have airco the airco-cooler is hiding your intercooler.

regarding the muff, ideally you would put a sheet between radiator and intercooler but the frame has no slot as far as i can see on mine. Need a solution also so if i find something iĺl tune in.

Smile

Many thanks
Yehaa - understand now: in order from front to back: full-grill-size aircon cooler - smaller intercooler - radiator Thumbs Up
So having the muff done up kills the intercooler entirely - if the effect on power is that I can't go above 130 km/h, I understand why people harp on about intercoolers so much Wink Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #108847 20th Dec 2011 11:02pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
you are correct, Huge aircon exchanger - intercooler - huge radiator front to back

you will have an electric fan attached to the airco rad.

The airco rad is the thinnest of the 3.

Another benefit sometimes forgotten about the muffs is that they prevent the radiators being clogged with snow/ice. As long as there was only the cooling radiator that was not such a problem as the engine heat would melt this away but with the airco rad in front and the intercooler sandwiched between them you risk blocking all airflow in heavy snow. (and the visco fan is sucking in air, so you have a bumper snow-vacuum cleaner in the morning at startup)
Seen this on other cars with much less frontal shapes. funny to have an engine overheating at minus temps.

Smile
Post #108848 20th Dec 2011 11:18pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Fitted one to mine today

Click image to enlarge
 Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #110103 26th Dec 2011 1:56pm
Lorryman100

The Exmoor trim one only takes a minute or two to put on and take off which means it is a lot easier to nick than one held on with cable ties. It is secured on the top two corners by a strip of fabric at a 45 degree angle which slides behind the radiator front grill and is held on at the bottom by two adjustable clips which attach to the bottom slat on the grill. I have yet to have it closed completely as in the standard open position shown the scangauge shows CHT temp at a constant 70 degrees when sitting at idle for long periods on a cold day which is enough for the heater to still be blowing hot air instead of the normal cold air after 5 mins. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Brian.
Post #110117 26th Dec 2011 3:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>