↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Pull out Awnings VS 270 Awnings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 HT Alaska White
Pull out Awnings VS 270 Awnings
Good Evening,
Currently looking at awning ideas for my pop top 110 build and just looking for some advice on others experiences. I have thought I would quite like the idea and simplicity of a 270 but I feel that having a awning over the rear door i.e 1.4 and a room would provide us a bit of extra space and possibly and indoor area to cook and shelter from the weather where as a 270 you have no side protection.

Just curious to see what you guys think about it having two pull out awnings that take longer or have a simple 270

Many thanks in advance
Tom 110 Td5 Ex Utilities slowly converting into a pop top camper one day

Build thread:https://www.defender2.net/forum/post1024784.html#1024784
Post #1030875 7th Apr 2024 6:47pm
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
Get ready for lots of different views.

I've had both.

Currently a 270 with attachable sides.

Works well, sets up easy with 2 people. mines not free standing it needs poles.

I can cook at back door whilst others sit around the side and don't feel separate.

Good size as well. we usually find a lot of people come and sit out of the rain with us if they are in a small tent.

If i was to do it again i'd invest in a free standing that can be converted with sides for ease but that is a small issue.

in my opinion the 270s suffer more from the wind and I pack it up overnight if it is stormy.

I think its best to look around campsites at shows and see all the different ideas, have a chat with the owners on pro's and cons.

The 270s are usually more expensive as well so that may be an issue if you are on a budget.
Post #1030959 8th Apr 2024 2:36pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i have a small one over the rear on the 90 and will be going for a 270 on the new truck but they are a tad big and heavy but useful.

mate has a 180 thats a doddle to set up as well and that works well depends on what you need it for really
Post #1030964 8th Apr 2024 3:13pm
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Yeah, I’ve had both and they each have their uses.
The pull out ones are a bit awkward to set up on your own but a decent size space underneath.
With a side and rear one you’d have a gap between the two.
Currently have the Alu Cab 270 and can’t fault it (apart from the cost!) it gets put up probably more often than needed because it’s so easy. It is free standing but does have legs if needed but I’ve never used them unless putting the side walls up.
The side wall kit is stupidly expensive and over engineered causing it to weigh a ridiculous amount, I just take two sides with me now and put them up on the awning where needed for shade/shelter.
Lots of different options and prices out there but can only vouch for what I’ve used which is the ARB side awning, the Fiamma F35pro side awning and the Alu Cab 270 all been good pieces of kit. 1997 Ex-MOD 110, Pop Top Camper, build thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72352.html
2014 Discovery 4 SE Tech
Instagram @the110camper
Post #1030996 8th Apr 2024 9:16pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I used to have a side awning but it was a real faff to put up/down single handed. I've now got a Bush Company 270 awning. It is self supporting and is a doddle to put up/down single handed. I have a single side wall panel that can optionally be used to block low sun or horizontal rain. If it gets a bit windy it comes with a set of guy ropes to stop it taking off.

The 270 awnings are pricey but well worth it.
https://www.lvboverland.com/product/270xt-awning/
Post #1031060 9th Apr 2024 11:33am

Thanks for all the replies it's definitely an interesting subject I think deep down it will end up being a 270 due to ease of use. But it's nice to hear real world experiences of them as I've never had an awning as my old Discovery we used the roof tent annexe for shelter and never needed an awning but with the defender being a pop top just working out some outdoor ideas 110 Td5 Ex Utilities slowly converting into a pop top camper one day

Post #1031067 9th Apr 2024 1:02pm
Hendrix

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
We have had both and prefer the 270. Agree with comments above but also we find with side awning doesnt take long for the sun to move round and you loose a lot of the shade. We have the side pieces but must admit probably waisted our money as the only time we use them is for extra shelter when cooking in windy and driving rain type conditions. Andy

1996 300TDI 110 SW
2013 TDCI 110 Utility
Post #1031384 13th Apr 2024 6:37am

Thanks I need to do some research into 270s I would like one that I can have a few walls for but not the whole set up 110 Td5 Ex Utilities slowly converting into a pop top camper one day

Post #1031466 13th Apr 2024 10:49pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
I have the ostrich wing 270 and despite a couple of small issues it’s great, it’s longer at 2.7 metres than most others so you get a larger area when open, it comes with only one leg and no tie downs, I’ve bought 2 extra legs and the tie disown kit which is great, you can buy side panels but I haven’t bothered, worth noting you can buy one panel and it will fit any section as they are the same length and are attached by a chunky zip.

It’s worth looking at the layouts of different awnings as some tend to be more down the side of a vehicle, some more towards the rear, and some like mine are in between, worth looking at which you prefer
Post #1031494 14th Apr 2024 10:49am
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
Bush Company 270 XT awning, fully self supporting. Dead easy to put up/down.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1031499 14th Apr 2024 11:02am
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
I looked at one of these at a show, very impressed, unfortunately too short for my vehicle as I have windows where it would have to be attached, on a normal Land Rover it’s the one I’d have.
Post #1031502 14th Apr 2024 11:13am
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
We cheat…

Click image to enlarge

The Hannibal spider is the first thing to go up as it literally takes 2 minutes, then you’ve shelter to set everything else up.. as it’s unsupported it’s fantastic to work under too..
Cheers alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #1031528 14th Apr 2024 4:21pm

Thanks for the replies very helpful now need to save up and start looking at some thanks for the photos aswell really help out 110 Td5 Ex Utilities slowly converting into a pop top camper one day

Post #1031602 15th Apr 2024 9:12am
Andrew95

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Corris Grey
I echo what everyone has said. We have owned a few awnings over the years and I have put my thoughts below (in order of ownership). One thing to remember is most are designed as sun shades first and foremost!

ARB Pull Out
(we have had both the wind break / side panel and full room with this)

Pros:
+ Small pack size
+ Fairly light weight
+ Always seemed very sturdy in the wind
+ The full room makes for a clean bug free area
+ Good quality materials

Cons:
- Not as much 'dry' area as you think when the rain starts blowing! And I expect the rear awning would have even less.
- They can be put up by one person, but not the easiest to do so
- If you are using it in conjunction with the rear pull out then you have an exposed triangle area
- It could get a bit 'flappy' and would have benefited from extra tie down points

Ventura 270
(a lot of people dismiss them as being 'cheap Chinese rubbish' - we bought it for £100 second hand off a friend as it was too cheap to say no to! It served us very well and for the price (even new) I can't fault it)

Pros:
+ Very lightweight (also see cons)
+ Cheap, if damage did occur then its not something you would end up crying about.
+ The bracket was full metal construction which even some mid range awnings (ARB for example) use plastic brackets)
+ It does a full 270deg, quite a few 270 do not cover the rear door fully

Cons:
- Lightweight cheap material, when pegged down fully it was fine, but if not it was very 'flappy'
- Storage bag was not waterproof
- Poles were separate and as its not self supporting you would benefit from a second person to put the poles in as you open it.

Tuff Trek Speedwing 270
(Full disclaimer, we had a few issues with ours turning up damaged and decided on another option so we never got chance to use it properly. We saw a friend us a Howling Moon Swing Awn which looks identical in construction)

Pro:
+ Really thick material
+ Has some sort of reflective backing on the material to reduce heat build up
+ Legs and guys stow in the arms making it really easy to put up

Con:
- Support arms appear weak in construction (lots of weight from the thick canvas) with no bracing
- Very heavy

Terrafirma Terradactyl 270
(This is our current awning and have found it a really good balance between price vs quality)

Pro:
+ Very strong arm design with support bracing
+ Arm design makes it self supporting (I wouldn't use it like this in strong wind)
+ Seems very sturdy when tied down in strong wind
+ Good quality material (similar in thickness to ARB)
+ Legs stow in the arms making it easy to put up

Con:
- Not quite 270 with small gap at rear door (this seems common with 270's)
- Unless packed away right its quite bulky

Special mention Bush Company 270
We were on a camp just before christmas with a friend who had one with sides and it stood up to some outstanding winds 30-40mph - gusting 50+. We put it down in the end and went to the pub as it was getting worse and there is no point breaking things. But I am amazed at how well it stood up to wind. The flip side of that is its big, heavy and expensive!

---

I think overall our favourite awning is the TF Teradactyl - Its a really good balance between everything. We were looking at getting the Alucab self supporting, but for the amount of times we would use it vs. cost it would not have made sense.

For a while we thought about keeping the ARB and getting a second rear awning as we loved the ARB. The thing that put us off is that its just a lot of effort (and I am lazy!) and I am not sure how much we would use the rear awning. I am not sure if they do one or not, but if they do an awning room for the small rear awning, that would be a brilliant combination for our setup as a camper.
Post #1031848 17th Apr 2024 12:39pm
dan.mwilliams

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Just to throw this in the pile…I was having the same dilemma. I ended up going with a tarp over the rear door. It solved a few issues with awnings for me. Mainly wind and rain shelter. And the price is very favourable too (currently £120)It also packs up in to a sleeping bag sized bag (and very easy to throw up with one person) and survived a few high wind and heavy rain outings.

https://wildbounds.com/products/waypoint-t...ingerbread

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1032486 23rd Apr 2024 12:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>