↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Maf wiring 2.2 Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
itsdashy

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 PU Orkney Grey
Maf wiring 2.2 Defender
I have an annoying problem where my 2.2 90 keeps on throwing P0101-17 and steadily getting worse. I've replaced the maf etc and with the help of Pete at BAS have traced it to a wiring fault as the maf temp is permanently showing -40C

Looking at the wiring schematic the wire travels around 5M to go all of 40cm. I've had a look including underneath as this started after the clutch was changed, however, I can't see any obvious rubbing problems even though the lazy oiks never put it back in properly. It's also thrown a front left ABS sensor error more recently which could be a coincidence.

Does anyone know where this wire routes around?
Post #1029627 28th Mar 2024 4:56pm
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
hi, are you on about the mass air flow and temp sensor wires...if so I think they run into the heat shielded loom that carry the turbo actuator wires that runs across the top of the front of the engine, and then down the left side of the engine before cutting back across the rear of the engine and into the ecu connector..I haven't traced them but a quick look appears to show that is the likely route..
I have traced crankshaft sensor wires and even though that if very close to the ecu, those wires are routed back and across the top of the gearbox into a branch on the lower left of the engine before coming up to join the loom that runs down the top left of the engine that I mentioned above and then into the ecu... round the houses to get to the ecu , so wouldn't be surprised the maf wiring was similar..all those sensor wires have to get to the thick loom im on about on the top left of the engine ....
Post #1029635 28th Mar 2024 5:37pm
itsdashy

Yup, it's the MAF and temp wires I'm chasing.

I've seen it go across the engine then down into the depths but looking at the wiring schematic it's 1490mm then joins the main loom and is 2996mm to the ecu. FMAF in the screenshot.

Click image to enlarge

It 100% makes sense for it to go across the back of the engine to the ECU but this thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54872.html and the missing 2996mm of wire suggest someone at LR was having a right giggle.

The route of the crank sensor seems a likely candidate to follow, it looks like I'm taking the carpets and doghouse out tomorrow and seeing what's on top of the box.

Thanks for the help I'll come back with findings.
Post #1029642 28th Mar 2024 6:16pm
andy63

I don't think you will find the mass air flow wires join the crankshaft sensor wires on their route. my crankshaft sensor wires run from sensor across the top of the box on their own... easy enough tp spot as the y run in that silver heat shielded material... I still think the likely route of the maf sensor wires is across the top and front of the engine in that loom before heading down the left side in the large loom..
good luck anyway Thumbs Up
Post #1029645 28th Mar 2024 6:23pm
itsdashy

Oh indeed. I'll be looking for all of it around there. It's pretty well hidden down the back of the engine so it may be a case of pulling out the ecu and going from there. Removing the doghouse might give me a bit more from the bottom as I've seen a big chunk of loom go through there.

Wish it would stop raining. lol
Post #1029657 28th Mar 2024 7:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Are you sure that the wires aren’t cracked towards where it goes in the connector housing, or a connector isn’t loose? Possibly, loose pin housing or corroded pin.
It’s not unknown for a hairline crack in the insulation in the area, and possibility causing the conductor to crack just below due to heat also.
And it can be difficult to see, but enough to cause an issue.

I would imagine the MAF end is more likely to be culprit, but if you have checked that in full then you never know.
Keep a close eye out for any slightest sign of rodent damage, you never know deeper into the loom.
Just one of the reasons why foodstuffs should never be kept in vehicles.
(Which I doubt you ever do like I don’t). Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 28th Mar 2024 10:14pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1029662 28th Mar 2024 8:16pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
See this problem I had:
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90438.html

The intake temperature on the 2.2 doesn't come from the MAF but another sensor on other side of engine.
Post #1029674 28th Mar 2024 10:08pm
andy63

The intake temp after intercooler is as you say a different sensor, but the maf air flow and temp sensor on the 2.2l tdci also outputs a temp signal... I'm assuming that that temp, combined with atmospheric pressure allow the maf sensor to determine the mass of air flowing into the engine at any given point...
Post #1029706 29th Mar 2024 9:37am
itsdashy

Maf end looks fine and there's no evidence of rodents. We have five local cats that like using the underneath of the Defender as day to day cover which is reassuring. Very Happy

I have found the routing and it is absolutely bonkers. C0149 is the maf wiring.

Click image to enlarge

This thread is very helpful as well. https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic91630.html

Once it has stopped being biblical outside I'll crack out the multimeter and start swearing at it.
Post #1029749 29th Mar 2024 4:09pm
andy63

I've had my bonnet up today installing a low coolant level sensor and had a look at the mass air flow sensor.. Its definate ly as I said in an earlier post.. Its the last item on the end of a loom that carries the maf sensor wires and the turbo actuator wires across the front top of the engine into a loom on the left side of the engine..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1029750 29th Mar 2024 4:46pm
itsdashy

Yup, it does indeed. However, according to DEFENDER - VIN: 412051 > Electrical Reference Library (1a)
JLR 16 25 21_1E, it then goes on a merry old route around the transfer case for no apparent reason.

Pete said it might be down there and I believe he might be right in saying the muppets who did the clutch have done me no favours.
Post #1029751 29th Mar 2024 5:02pm
andy63

You just need to ignore me lol👍🤣.. I just had a final look before closing the bonnet.. That loom I have my hand on does indeed have another branch to it that was well concealed(that's my excuse👍🤣).
So it is possible the wiring does head down towards the alternator and back..
My apologies again🙈
Post #1029753 29th Mar 2024 5:06pm
itsdashy

Lol! No need for an apology! As per usual LR decided to do something against even poor common sense. I'm now trying to figure out why.

Anyhow, I checked the plug and it looks alright if grubby and coated in underseal. Pins on the inside look clean and clear of corrosion. I'll make up a test circuit tomorrow and hopefully sound out which run is dead.
Post #1029768 29th Mar 2024 7:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1