Home > Puma (Tdci) > P167B41, power loss and engine vibration in 5th/6th gear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rbsn

Brazil 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 Silver LE Zambezi Silver
P167B41, power loss and engine vibration in 5th/6th gear
Hello! Greetings from Brazil.

My Defender 110 with a Puma 2.4 engine (2008/2009) recently had an injection nozzle stuck open and melted the piston head. I overhauled the engine and the injection pump, changed the injection nozzles (Denso) and isolated the EGR valve (physically and with remap).

Now I'm experiencing a noticeable power loss especially in 5th and 6th gear, between 2000 and 2500 RPM, along with engine and panel vibrations.

I recorded a short video trying to demonstrate it:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vNeR8Xw6rbg

The engine noise is also a little harsher than before, especially in this RPM range.

The mechanic thought that the lack of power could be a problem with the turbine, as it was the only thing that hadn't been checked yet, but today I used an cheap ODBII reader and got the error code P167B41 (pilot correction learning process).

The workshop that changed the nozzles and overhauled the injection pump says it has done this learning process and that this error code should not be appearing, but will redo it.

Could this learning process be the cause of the power loss or could be something with turbine too?

Thanks!!
Post #1027866 13th Mar 2024 12:34am
Fernando

Argentina 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
Hola, pueden ser varias cosas, primero, el mecanico codifico los inyectores con su numero en el alojamiento corespondiente ?
Despues hacer la correcion piloto, si no mejora puede ser otro problema mas grave.
Post #1027960 13th Mar 2024 6:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Possibly VCV, which doesn’t produce a DTC and symptoms of power loss in those gears and Rev range is a symptom.
VCV failure causes poor running, and loss of power especially in higher gears / top end.
In turn causes rough running, seems like a labouring engine. Possibly causing vibration etc you mention.

The Injector code, may just have been from the learning process and should have been cleared at the time.

IIRC, the injectors need to be put through the learn process, the VCV doesn’t as that self learns over time. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1027961 13th Mar 2024 7:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1