↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > LED headlamps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
tankpeople

United Kingdom 
LED headlamps
My 2009 headlamps are corroded and thinking of a replacement - has anyone bought the LED replacements on Ebay, they seem remarkably cheap !.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235023714902?fi...R_aXucK3Yw
Post #1025087 18th Feb 2024 1:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
They are only legal if they have an ‘E’ mark of approval for road use. (And sometimes they are faked).
The value of these, is probably a reflection of being that they have no type approvals.

As headlights are obligatory exterior lighting required by law, they aren’t legal if not marked and should fail an MOT.
Offerings from companies such as JW Speaker, Nolden, Wipac, Ring and more will be approved to keep their good name.
There are also USA offerings too but these are typically for LHD beam, and DOT approved which is a different approval system in the States.

Whatever you do go for, I’d recommend stainless retaining rings and fixings, the originals often corrode badly.
You should be able to get road legal ones for around £280 to £350, JW and Nolden (I have the latter) are considerably more, but the longevity and performance is there plus type approvals.

Personally I’d prefer to see BS type approvals rather than E marking, but that a different matter.
As I mentioned N America has DOT approval instead, which is their own system.

Hope that helps. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 18th Feb 2024 7:45pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1025097 18th Feb 2024 2:24pm
tankpeople

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the detailed reply, I hadnt been aware of that.
Post #1025104 18th Feb 2024 4:18pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Wouldnt worry. Had the same headlights for 8 years. Never had an issue Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1025105 18th Feb 2024 5:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1025108 18th Feb 2024 6:08pm
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
Ive used Chinese ones for years been fine

passed every mot

I do like the noldens though

SP4x4 do decent ones 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #1025118 18th Feb 2024 7:27pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
As long as they are aligned correctly I can’t imagine they would fail an MOT. I reckon you’d really have to Censored off the tester to make them fail you on something like headlight markings. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1025120 18th Feb 2024 7:38pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: LED headlamps
tankpeople wrote:
My 2009 headlamps are corroded and thinking of a replacement - has anyone bought the LED replacements on Ebay, they seem remarkably cheap !.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235023714902?fi...R_aXucK3Yw

There is a reason why road-legal LED headlights cost around £300, and there is a reason why chinesium Ebay specials cost around one tenth of the price of decent units.

The lights in your link are not road legal, assuming that the illustrations are real photos of the units concerned, but that doesn't mean that they won't work and won't give a decent light. It does mean that you are taking a bit of a gamble with them. The listing is filled with random words intended to make you think that they are better than they appear to be ("E-marked", well they have an "E" on them so that is true but it means nothing without all the other approval data, "CANBUS LED included", no idea what that means)!

Ultimately it is up to you. Would you buy brake components which were 1/10th the price of bona fide ones?

zed wrote:
As long as they are aligned correctly I can’t imagine they would fail an MOT. I reckon you’d really have to Censored off the tester to make them fail you on something like headlight markings.

Agree, MoT tester is unlikely to notice, but VOSA will. It could get you a prohibition at a compliance check, but statistically you're unlikely to be picked on (unless you tow overloaded trailers)!
Post #1025121 18th Feb 2024 7:47pm
Daysleepers

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Agree with all that was said above.

I have some JW Speakers, bought them used from here and they’re the best money I’ve spent on my puma.

If you’re local to Essex, Suffolk, cambs, you can have my old headlights.
Post #1025129 18th Feb 2024 9:45pm
kenzle8a

The best ones sadly aren’t legal on a post 1985 Landy, wipac crystals with the classic car led bulbs in.
Post #1025130 18th Feb 2024 11:58pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
The MOT only checks beam alignment. Its not his job to check for legal compliance. No one will ever check them unless as Mr. BlackWolf says you are unlucky enough to get stopped at a VOSA checkpoint.
UNLESS
You are involved in an RTC with severe injury or fatality, especially at night. They'll go over the vehicles with a fine tooth comb. If you are found to have non compliant parts that could construed to have potentially contributed to the accident then you could be held at fault.
Your insurance company will tell you its been nice knowing you, thanks for your custom and will leave by the nearest exit.

Then again it might never happen and no one will ever know or care.
You pays your money and takes your choice.
Mo
(Pre 1986 90 with Wipac crystal headlamps and LED bulbs) The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1025137 19th Feb 2024 8:55am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Looking at the advert in the original post it says that the lights are E marked and approved so as long as they work correctly there wouldn’t be any issues even in the very worst case scenario. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1025139 19th Feb 2024 9:49am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It says that the lamps are E marked and approved, but the illustrations show lamps which are just marked with an "E" symbol which means nothing. Unless the lamps have all the other legally-required marking and there is no trace of these in the illustrations the are not legal.

The great majority of buckshee chinesium LED headlamps have an E on them but are not approved and have none of the other requisite markings. It is not an offense to put the letter E in a circle on your light since by itself it means nothing.

There are plenty of threads on here which have discussed this in depth and include a full breakdown of the required marking and I suggest searching for some of these and reading them. One of the reasons why legitimate units cost £300 or so is because of the high cost of putting them through the EC approvals process, and you can be absolutely sure that a unit selling for £30 or so has not, it simply would not be possible to sell them that cheap unless you are an altruistic multimillionaire.
Post #1025141 19th Feb 2024 10:00am
neon1991

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Firenze Red
got these on my defender at the moment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373778628495

no complaints and just flew through the MOT. My last 90 had these and were still going strong 5 years later when I sold it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164768023135
Post #1025183 19th Feb 2024 3:26pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Blackwolf stated it exactly perfectly - the following code after the ‘E’ mark denotes approval number for various tests I believe, possibly a compliance no also.
Similar to the IP rating for waterproofing and or Ingress protection, such as IP68, IP65 etc with electrical items.

Trucklite might be worth looking at, I believe they are compliant.
Paddocks probably sell them or some good reputable models, as headlights are safety critical I’d take it into consideration.
But the choice is there for whichever you wish really.

If you want cheaper, probably Wipac Crystal with Upgrade H4 incandescent bulbs and upgrade harness such as Land Reiziger loom is the way to go, also fully compliant.
(Just not with any LED bulbs unfortunately). Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1025203 19th Feb 2024 6:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>