↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.2 or 2.4 ? and other questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
It's not the same as the freelander 2 but is the engnie used in the transit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_EW/DW_engine#DW12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine#2.2
Post #98047 4th Nov 2011 12:38pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I think in DPF fitted engines the use low SAPS oils is mandatory . Low P and Zn content (-50%) in order to keep the DPF clean and efficient. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #98048 4th Nov 2011 12:46pm
jerseyman

Thanks for such a quick reply Sock,

But short of having a "no it isn't yes it type" of conversation with the dealer i am not too sure how to convince him.

He also said that the reason my Td5 has plastic arch protectors but the 110 in the showroom does not is because mine is a special edition "Tomb Raider".

Alas I can't go to another dealer or indeed find another salesman.

Brian
Post #98049 4th Nov 2011 12:46pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Well it just IS different. He's wrong.

I can't find a picture of the Freelander 2 engine to prove the difference, but get him to ask the parts department for the part numbers of a comparable part (starter motor, injector, oil filter) from the two and they will be different.

Lots of previous discussion on here when the 2.2 rumours started and the official announcement was made if he wants to read up Wink

However, he's right about the arches: Tomb Raiders do have black plastic wheelarches, whereas most other "posh" Defenders have painted Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW

Last edited by Martin on 4th Nov 2011 1:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #98051 4th Nov 2011 12:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Seems a bit weird that some have been promised delivery of theirs next month yet information (and reviews) seem almost non existent.

Surely some early versions should be out by now?! Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #98052 4th Nov 2011 1:03pm
jerseyman

OK thanks guys.

Trying to find inormation about the 2.2 is not helped by the fact that on the Landrover official site it is still the MY2011 2.4 version - and MY2011 prices.

I still want to get a new one despite the best efforts of Land Rover...

Brian
Post #98053 4th Nov 2011 1:10pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
jerseyman wrote:
He also said that the reason my Td5 has plastic arch protectors but the 110 in the showroom does not is because mine is a special edition "Tomb Raider".

Martin wrote:
However, he's right about the arches: Tomb Raiders do have black plastic wheelarches, whereas most other "posh" Defenders have painted Smile

Jerseyman, are you talking about the front wheel arch liners, or the wheelarch eyebrows? I read your post as meaning the black plastic arch liners, which I thought were fitted to all modern Defenders, regardless of spec? Presumably on the one you are talking about in the showroom that is missing them, you can see the inner wing inside the wheelarch? Sounds odd to me - someone probably just forgot about it at the factory! Laughing 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #98054 4th Nov 2011 1:12pm
jerseyman

Green Machine wrote:
jerseyman wrote:

Martin wrote:
However, he's right about the arches: Tomb Raiders do have black plastic wheelarches, whereas most other "posh" Defenders have painted Smile

Jerseyman, are you talking about the front wheel arch liners, or the wheelarch eyebrows? I read your post as meaning the black plastic arch liners, which I thought were fitted to all modern Defenders, regardless of spec? Presumably on the one you are talking about in the showroom that is missing them, you can see the inner wing inside the wheelarch? Sounds odd to me - someone probably just forgot about it at the factory! Laughing

Hi Green,

It is the liners that I'm talking about, the new 110 in the showroom has nice shiny body coloured paint under the wheel arches, thats why i noticed it. definitely has no liners, next time I see an older Puma parked up I will go an have a look.

Harwoods have an unregistered 2.4 which they are checking to see if they can sell me Ex-vat for export, but not too sure if its a goer because of short notice raising finance issues, no part-ex, potential warranty hassles with the local dealer etc.

From the link that Sock sent i see that the 2.2 is also used in the X-type jags, I will try and find out if these have DPF issues over here.

What fun and games

Brian
Post #98055 4th Nov 2011 1:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It's a bad day when the salesman is too bone-headed to know it's not the Freelander engine! Shocked
Post #98056 4th Nov 2011 1:59pm
dgardel

Italy 
Sockpuppet wrote:
It's not the same as the freelander 2 but is the engnie used in the transit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_EW/DW_engine#DW12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine#2.2

PSA ENGINE

PUMA ENGINE

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #98057 4th Nov 2011 2:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
jerseyman wrote:

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Brian

Yep - I'm afraid this means you have a salesman who knows Censored all about Landrovers Laughing John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #98096 4th Nov 2011 6:25pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
Brian, I guess you should not buy from a dealer like that. Stating there were no DPF issues on the PGA engine fitted into Freelanders is close to a big lie - just browse around and see what that had on that one. I was in England last week and had the opportunity to drive a 90 /w 2.2 l engine and yes, it is indeed the modified Ford engine, not the less durable PGA.

From direct comparison to my 6 week old 90 (2.4) I can tell, yes it is substantially quieter. The 2.2 l engine feels more sportive then the 2.4, but I don't like the new engine as it drives my driving mood more towards speeding. I am happy I got one of the last 2.4s ... Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.

Last edited by NinetyTD4 on 6th Nov 2011 12:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #98304 5th Nov 2011 7:28pm
jerseyman

That's the first report I've read on the 2.2, interesting that you found it quieter and nippier than the 2.4. if it wasn't for the DPF issue then I would wait.

The dealer here is the only one in Jersey so not too easy for me to chose another one - the salesman also offered my £4,000 Part-ex for my 2001 TD5 90 Tomb Raider with 26k miles on the clock .... mmm tempting

I'm possibly the track of a new 2.4 from the UK but there are a number of issues to be resolved so i suspect that the supplier may have decided that it is not worth the hassle for him.

Current options for me are

1) Wait to see if the 2.2 does have a DPF issue in Jersey (Out of curiosity does anyone know if this is a new engine for the Transit as well?)

2) See if the UK dealers 2.4 materialises.

3) Advertise locally to see if anyone wants to sell a 2010 /2011 2.4

4) Upgrade / refurbish my TD5 - moving into the list again.
Post #98311 5th Nov 2011 7:58pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Jerseyman,

Unless you’re having real problems with your TD5 or it’s literally rusting away, my advice to you would be to beg, borrow, hire or steal a Puma for a couple of days to see how and if you can live with it.

In August I took delivery of a 110 bells and whistles Puma at a cost of thirty-three grand; I got eight for my 2001 TD5.

Quite honestly, the “improvement” is not that great, and positively retrograde is that whereas my TD5 would rev freely and I could drive it almost like a car, the new one’s gearbox is so poor - designed to reduce revs in “Urban Cycle” mpg testing rather than be useful in real-world applications - that the slow gearchanges needed to get to, say 40 mph, mean that I can no longer get away quickly from traffic lights and roundabouts, and am obliged to keep to the nearside lane like an old truck until I can build up a bit of speed (which is, admittedly, higher, smoother and much quieter than the TD5).

Or rush the gearchanges and crunch my way through the gearbox!

The chassis on my TD5 was pretty rusty and had already been welded to pass its last MoT but, even so, if I knew in August what I know now, I would have had a garage fit a galvanised chassis, new Polybushes, and kept it another ten years…

Peter
Post #98337 5th Nov 2011 10:29pm
dgardel

Italy 
NinetyTD4 wrote:
Brian, I goes you should not buy from a dealer like that. Stating there were no DPF issues on the PGA engine fitted into Freelanders is close to a big lie - just browse around and see what that had on that one. I was in England last week and had the opportunity to drive a 90 /w 2.2 l engine and yes, it is indeed the modified Ford engine, not the less durable PGA.

From direct comparison to my 6 week old 90 (2.4) I can tell, yes it is substantially quieter. The 2.2 l engine feels more sportive then the 2.4, but I don't like the new engine as it drives my driving mood more towards speeding. I am happy I got one of the last 2.4s ...

Is the engine cover that do the difference......

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #98339 5th Nov 2011 10:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>