↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > New 12v System for Overlanding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
New 12v System for Overlanding
Nadolig llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda - Merry Christmas and I hope you are all looking forward to a riotous new year.

I have a favour to ask from those with a bit more knowledge of 12volt systems than I.... Santa kindly bought me a new DC to DC Renogy charger for Christmas as part of a planned 12v System upgrade. My 110 is a daily driver but also set up for weekend and remote long travel overlanding. I like to keep things simple so have designed what I think is a simple, reliable and effective 12v system.

I would welcome some comments and feedback, particularly if I have made any obvious errors. I haven't worked out the Fuse values or wire sizes yet but hopefully fuse positions and wiring are correct?

Many thanks

Simon

Click image to enlarge
Post #975888 28th Dec 2022 5:46pm
lolo

Switzerland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Hi Simon,

I am not an expert, but I've done this below in my 110 and it works perfectly, no issue

Click image to enlarge

What I can see on your schema is that you fuse on the -ve, I would do it on the +ve. Also colors seem inverted, for me red = +ve, black = -ve, so maybe it is your busbars that are wrongly labeled. I would also cable the inverter directly to the house battery, not via the busbar.
Post #975891 28th Dec 2022 6:33pm
8619simon

Hi Iolo

Thank you for the feedback. Good spot on the bus bar, my colours are correct but bus bars labelled wrong Rolling Eyes I am intending to fuse on the +ve.

Out of interest have you managed to fit all your system in the battery box or is it located elsewhere?
Post #975899 28th Dec 2022 7:44pm
lolo

Switzerland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I have choosen to have a removable setup, so nothing in the battery box but one fuse and the +/-ive cable going to a dedicated cabinet in the rear centralizing all electrical stuff. Have a look here https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic80760-105.html.

By the way the reason why you must connect your inverter directly to the home battery is fuse & cable gauge that will be much much larger than your other cables.

Except for the inverter if you go with 16-25mm2 between your two batteries and your fuses box and distribute appliances with 2.5mm2 it should be ok. In any case read carefully all specs in user manuals of all your components.

In the whole project, electricity was my most dreaded subject, and it turned out to be the most enjoyable and satisfying.

Enjoy!

Last edited by lolo on 28th Dec 2022 8:32pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #975904 28th Dec 2022 8:32pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
the only thing i would do is enable the 2nd battery to link to the first in case either one goes flat so you can jump start the car for example.
Post #975905 28th Dec 2022 8:32pm
8619simon

Good call…. I am assuming this can be a simple as fitting a cut of switch between the two positives so that when engaged it bypasses the DC to DC and Links both batteries in parallel?
Post #976104 30th Dec 2022 8:42pm
8619simon

lolo wrote:
I have choosen to have a removable setup, so nothing in the battery box but one fuse and the +/-ive cable going to a dedicated cabinet in the rear centralizing all electrical stuff. Have a look here https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic80760-105.html.

By the way the reason why you must connect your inverter directly to the home battery is fuse & cable gauge that will be much much larger than your other cables.

Except for the inverter if you go with 16-25mm2 between your two batteries and your fuses box and distribute appliances with 2.5mm2 it should be ok. In any case read carefully all specs in user manuals of all your components.

In the whole project, electricity was my most dreaded subject, and it turned out to be the most enjoyable and satisfying.

Enjoy!

Thank Iolo….. Just read this, great build and similar to where I am heading in a couple of years time. For now though I still need the two back seats so I’m thinking of housing the DC to DC under the cubby.

I’ve already got the fuse box in the battery box with two batteries so a bit cramped in there at the moment Razz
Post #976105 30th Dec 2022 8:46pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i ve not done the dc set up your planning but have a twin battery set up on mine with a manual split charge so i can disconect and then reconect the 2nd battery to the starter one when needed or when i want to link both batts for winching or jump starting another car,as an example.
Post #976108 30th Dec 2022 9:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1