↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > JLR sued 2 pensioner enthusiasts for copyright infringements
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
JLR sued 2 pensioner enthusiasts for copyright infringements
"Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) sued two pensioner enthusiasts for copyright infringement after building a C-type replica in their home garage.

Having approved of and benefited from the replica community for decades, JLR is now launching their own continuation line of the C-type, showing a completely different attitude towards the classic car community. A Swedish pensioner couple, the Magnussons, experienced this shift firsthand, going from collaboration discussions with JLR in 2016 to being sued by them in 2018.

In a shocking court verdict in December, JLR won the copyright case, with devastating consequences both for the pensioner couple and for the global replica car community. The Magnussons C-type is deemed illegal and subject to destruction and they are required to pay JLR’s legal fees of £450 000 and damages, which in effect will drive the pensioners out of their home.

As for the replica community, the verdict in essence makes all C-type replicas unlawful to display, sell or use publicly, under threat of destruction. In addition, other car makers can use this precedent and claim copyright of other historic models, threatening tens of thousands other replicas of Ferrari, Aston Martin, Ford and the likes.

Everyone around the Magnussons with insight into the case are left baffled by the court’s decision, as well as shocked over how JLR is treating two senior lifelong supporters of the Jaguar brand and community. But the couple remain determined to continue the fight and are taking the case to the appeals court, confident that they have a strong case and hope to overthrow the initial verdict.

In this staggeringly uneven battle against a global corporation, the Magnussons have already put everything on the line. Please support us in raising funds for them to be able to continue the fight, for the good of the replica industry and so that they may be able to keep their home.

Enthusiasts worldwide are encouraged to share this and to donate any amount, however small. At the Go-Fund Me page https://gofund.me/f6916372"

https://www.facebook.com/SaveOurClassicCarReplicas/

Press Release makes very interesting reading:
https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2...knBBl1d9vw
Post #884634 11th Feb 2021 7:35am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I wonder what this means for those with very expensive and valuable replicas, like the Lynx D-Types? I have long hankered after a Lancia Stratos replica, companies have been making those for years with no problems and I hope it continues.

JLR are not the only ones at this. Merc went after Gullwing replicas a few years ago and got at least one destroyed.

It’s sad really, as long as you aren’t passing your replica off as genuine to make money or whatever, what harm does it do really? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #884650 11th Feb 2021 9:27am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Shocking, but not unsurprising. Nothing surprises me with JLR anymore. People have questioned 'why now' and the only answer I can think of is JLR's continued obsession with upscaling their cars/Brand to aim at an ever more exclusive clientele. A new Defender beyond the reach of most owners of the previous Defender. Limited editions that cost fortunes. Interiors across the range that become more and more luxurious and move away from their grass roots (literally) heritage. And I think this smacks of the same mentality. A mentality that says we have to stamp out production of any (even private) replicas of the C-Type to ensure exclusivity of our newly announced 'authentic' C-Type relaunch. Lest Mr or Mrs Jones who had planned to spend millions on one of the JLR branded recreations decided instead to buy a 50k or 100k copy. The sort of person who spends millions on provenance doesn't think that way, but it is the only reason I can think of that would possess JLR to act like such a bully. Massive own goal. Massively bad PR. I like this brand less and less. British institution to i don't know what.

It would be bloody hilarious if Ratcliffe got hold of this and paid the Magnusson's fees for them. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

This thread includes some thoughts from the Magnusson's daughter and another poster who has also gone through a full replica rebuild with JL's help and access to their records.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic....;t=1915912 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #884654 11th Feb 2021 9:35am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Yet the Chinese can do pretty much what they want ....... Confused
Post #884656 11th Feb 2021 9:37am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
It seems incredibly short sighted to me that JLR doesn't view the replica market as free endorsement of the brand.

I agree that you would want to stop someone setting up a small production run but the majority of the ground up
replica community should be admired even encouraged by JLR and factored into understanding your customers
not taken to court... Crying or Very sad

Lets hope this world can continue to allow the likes of Eagle and Singer... Question SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #884674 11th Feb 2021 10:17am
Supacat

Grenadier wrote:
I like this brand less and less.

My way of looking at this is that the current senior management at JLR, and even Tata's ownership is but a transitory phase in the history of the brand. They can tarnish it whilst it's in their hands but there's so many enthusiasts that will get it shining again with a bit of a lick and polish (not £500 ceramic coatings). Thumbs Up
Post #884688 11th Feb 2021 10:53am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
This is not good for PR and will not win them any friends.

I wonder where the dividing line lies between making a replica vehicle and supplying replica parts for genuine vehicles. Could this stop people making chassis, body panels, etc. I wonder?
Post #884693 11th Feb 2021 11:20am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Most major manufacturers have been doing this for years - Mercedes and Ferrari are very litigious about “replicas”, for example.
Post #884699 11th Feb 2021 11:48am
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
So, what’s the difference here between two old guys making a Jag, and Ineos copying an old Defender?

Didn’t LR try to sue Ineos but lost? 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #884708 11th Feb 2021 12:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Regardless of your views on the styling, Ineos are not building a replica Defender. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #884711 11th Feb 2021 1:00pm
Supacat

Gareth wrote:
So, what’s the difference here between two old guys making a Jag, and Ineos copying an old Defender?

Didn’t LR try to sue Ineos but lost?

A High Court judge dismissed an appeal by JLR after the UK Intellectual Property Office (IPO) refused to issue a trademark for the model. Ineos had opposed the filing.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70401...p;start=15
Post #884728 11th Feb 2021 2:08pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Really sad about the financial action taken on that couple. Life changing. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #884752 11th Feb 2021 4:58pm
Slideywindows

England 
Supacat wrote:
Grenadier wrote:
I like this brand less and less.

My way of looking at this is that the current senior management at JLR, and even Tata's ownership is but a transitory phase in the history of the brand. They can tarnish it whilst it's in their hands but there's so many enthusiasts that will get it shining again with a bit of a lick and polish (not £500 ceramic coatings). Thumbs Up

I sincerely hope you are right Supacat.
Post #884772 11th Feb 2021 6:13pm
Moneypit

2004 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Fuji White
Is this why JLR bought Bowler?
Post #884789 11th Feb 2021 7:55pm
walfy

In a similar theme, there is a youtube channel called B is for Build. He builds some awesome cars. His current supercar build is to compete in the Mint 400.
Anyway I digress. He did a body swap and built an ELeanor. Old body but all the underpinnings of a new car. The owner of the Eleanor franchise has copywritten the name.
Took him to court and won. He had to crush the car and remove all the youtube videos of how he did it.
Completely bonkers 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #884825 11th Feb 2021 9:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>