↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 110 rear brake caliper rattling.............Fix?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lukey Boy

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
110 rear brake caliper rattling.............Fix?
Anyone know of a permanent fix for the above? Dealer doesn't seem to have a fix yet. Big Cry

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Incidently I've just had a brand new 90 and no rattles at all.

P.S. Not loud music! Laughing 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #83942 11th Aug 2011 7:58pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Ear plugs?

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #83953 11th Aug 2011 8:22pm
Lukey Boy

Thanks Glyn,

la, la, la, la, la. Laughing Thumbs Up 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #83973 11th Aug 2011 10:05pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Sorry, couldn't help myself Whistle

There are a couple of things that can be done.

I am sure they have tried stripping and cleaning?.... After that I would be looking at changing the securing pins and springs (they can get tired)- when fitting the new ones smear them in copper grease to keep them from corroding and lubed up Wink

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #83985 12th Aug 2011 6:37am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I understand that the cause of the rattle is that the pads are (intentionally) a fairly sloppy fit in the slots in the caliper, and can rattle up and down when the brakes are not applied.

On the 110 and 130, the pads are retained with pins which run through elongated holes in the outer corners of the pads, and the anti-rattle springs are simple coils which fit round the pins between the pads. As the springs deteriorate they provide less effect, and the rattle gets worse.

On the 90, the pins do not actually pass through holes in the pads, and the anti-rattle springs are a different design which provides a more positive locating effect than the 110. The two systems are not interchangeable.

The first step in stopping a 110/130 rattling is to replace the pins and springs. Sometimes this will do the trick. The other trick is to apply a blob of weld or a thin bead of weld along the bottom edge of the pads, to build up the area where the pads contacts the caliper. It is important to do this on the bottom edge not the top, since it is of course the top that contacts the caliper under braking so thetop need to be left alone. By doing this then dressing the pad with a file it can be made a less loose fit in the slot, and this will usually stop the rattle.

However, personally I have some concerns with this, since presumably the slop is there for a reason. I have been told (by a dealer) that the reason the pads are a sloppy fit is to allow crud to build up without causing the pads to stick, but this doesn't seem very likely to me. I wonder if, bearing in mind the potential GVW of the 110 and 130, the slop is to allow the pads to expand without seizing. If so, making them a tighter fit could be a bad move since they may then jam in the caliper under heavy braking.

I do have some ideas for alternate designs of anti-rattle springs which should be a more effective solution, and when I get the time I was going to try making some up to try out. In the meantime I suggest a set of new conventional springs as a first attempt.
Post #84007 12th Aug 2011 9:31am
Lukey Boy

Thanks for the interesting reply Blackwolf,

Your point about the differences between the 90 and 110 makes sense - I did imagined them them be the same.

I'm assuming stronger compression springs could stop the brakes working properly? I cant believe there is no dealer fix as there must be 100s of us with this problem and not that many posts about it. I find it so annoying Sad

Having not taken the pads out myself yet I can only picture the issue from youtube clips but if they can't come up with something I'll see if I can engineer it out.

If you do come up with a solution first i'd be interested to hear about it.

Defs now gone back to the dealer this afternoon - 4th time in 8 weeks!

I'll put muffs on as Glyn suggests Whistle 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #84116 12th Aug 2011 8:09pm
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
This happened to my 08my - it annoyed the hell out of me - took it to the dealers and they did the so called pin fix - left the dealers still the same noise.
After 3 calipers and various brake pads, one of the mechs, put a small blob of weld on the back of the pads - cured !!

Guess what, my 11my does it also - into the dealers to see if they can remember wht they did.

I am amazed at the amount of Defenders that I see drive past and you can hear the pads rattling. They all must do it.
Post #84544 15th Aug 2011 6:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lukey Boy

Just heard from the Dealer today. He's got his own fix for it but I'm not holding my breath. He also told me he's notified LR headoffice of this problem but as yet no official fix or mod. Sad

If I have no luck I'll suggest the blob method! Thumbs Up 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #84609 16th Aug 2011 12:48am
Lukey Boy

Just an update if anyone's interested.

The dealer seems to have fixed the rattle! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Without taking the wheel off yet, from what I can see he has fitted new springs on the centre and half springs on the outsides of the long caliper pins.

The rattle has gone! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Just hope it lasts. 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #85253 19th Aug 2011 6:36pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Post #374584 27th Nov 2014 2:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1