↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Another carried over “feature” of the “Classic” Defe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Another carried over “feature” of the “Classic” Defe
This morning it has been gently raining all morning here and I went out to the car, opened the rear offside door to see a water stain on the seat fabric........... at least I didn’t get wet feet opening the drivers door or when I drove through standing water but it is sad that LR’s QC anywhere from the production line through to PDI didn’t notice the distorted window seal. I checked the rear near/ passenger side seal and it is fine.
I’m sorry, I’ve tried rotating the photos and moved the files as well but they don’t want to show here the right way around.
Water dripping from the lower edge of the door card onto the arm rest/ door pull
Click image to enlarge

Drips onto the seat fabric too

Click image to enlarge

The cause is this small crease in the outer window seal right in the corner

Click image to enlarge

The seal on the other door is fine

Click image to enlarge

So anyone who has taken delivery should check the rear door window seal isn’t deformed

Disappointed that a £60000 car gets such poor QC even more disappointing after 2 years of a Mini that only had to go to a service bay once in 2 years ownership for a routine service in May this year......... a car costing half of what a Land Rover New Defender costs. It’s these things that let JLR down - this isn’t a dealer problem, it’s poor quality control on the production line.

I wonder if I should find some black bath sealant to stop any more water getting in and damaging whatever is behind the door card - as well as electric window controls there is the door opening onto a danger sensor and indicator device in there Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #839119 23rd Jun 2020 1:03pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
That's not good; but I am surprised that only a single point of failure would allow the water to flow right through to the seat. Surely the door card has a separate seal at least?

Looks like the Water Ingress Manual will have to be dusted down, digitised, and uploaded to a new iGuide... Cow
Post #839163 23rd Jun 2020 4:49pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
£60k car and it leaks onto what look like Cloth seats? not good at all as that if left could actually mark the seats over a period of time.

This initial report you are feeding us Tim with your new car does not inspire confidence at all.... Sad

Maybe you did not tick option LR456 on sub page 3 of the extra's for wadding on page 65 of additional options amended Feb 20 to include the option pack with additional seals #554 to stop water ingress from UK weather Rolling with laughter edit * you can only take this option with the optional rubber mats LR343 page 75.
Post #839166 23rd Jun 2020 5:16pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Supacat wrote:
Surely the door card has a separate seal at least?

Agree - not unusual for a little water to enter the door at the lower opening-window seal (particularly when lowering a wet window), but it should just drain out the bottom of the door - that sheet of sticky poly keeping it off the back of the door card?
Post #839173 23rd Jun 2020 5:34pm
J77

Scotland 
Not good Tim, I had high hopes for the Slovakian factory. D5 owners in general seem pretty pleased with quality. Hopefully just a few lapses in QC and not a sign of things to come. I’ve not had the best of experiences with the Velar and the poor quality build from Solihull on a £60k is just a joke, my passenger side doors don’t line up, it was supposed to go into the bodyshop but given the hassle over the cracking headlights I just left it.

Hopefully the brakes are better on the Defender, the Velars are made from chocolate buttons, apparently another issue LR are aware of Rolling Eyes

Iirc there’s was an article in Autocar during journalists first rides one of the mules had leaking seals.
Post #839193 23rd Jun 2020 7:06pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
So it DOES have the original DNA Laughing

I’m truly gutted for you. I’d be PEE’D OFF Shocked
Post #839198 23rd Jun 2020 7:20pm
spudfan

Ireland 
The response from JLR will probably be that it will get more water from your coat if you get in on a wet day and that they offer some high quality waterproof seat covers to further enhance your vehicle.
My impression is that if anyone thinks JLR are working overtime to sort out these and other faults they will be disillusioned to say the least. The out going Defender was basic and they could not deliver that fault free. Funny how a lot of the faults of the old Defender could be solved by the local independent. I think all JLR's resources will be going into the face lifted model due in a few years. That will be the plan to keep it "fresh".
20,000 units of the old Defender with no big development or publicity costs we were told was just not viable.
22000 units of the new vehicle with huge development costs and advertising costs to recoup we are told is nothing to worry about. Sure enough it is early days in to the vehicle's predicted lifespan yet but the target audience for this vehicle is either reticent and cautious or just not interested. C19 may have a lot to do with it in which case it will be a blip and will pass. If it is just that JLR miscalculated on how many people actually want a modern, revamped and expensive new Defender, then it will be a costly mistake. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #839210 23rd Jun 2020 7:42pm
Tim in Scotland

Doesn’t give much confidence that it would survive a 900mm wade does it.....Unless the wade program in TR seals up all holes in the body as well as closing down the ventilation system intakes!
Spud, don’t tell them I already have a full set of waterproof seat covers,............ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #839213 23rd Jun 2020 7:44pm
spudfan

Ireland 
At least in the old Defender after wading the water quietly exited the vehicle without the driver (or the vehicle's computer)having to take any action. Whistle 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #839217 23rd Jun 2020 7:48pm
Stephen Park

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Indus Silver
The offside rear door window seal is also deformed on my First Edition. It's one of several QC-related items on the list being looked at by the dealer today.

Also, the design of the roof gutters appears to allow a significant amount of rain water to run onto the seat base when opening the door after a rainfall.
Post #839337 24th Jun 2020 11:19am
Tim in Scotland

Just been to collect my old Defender from the village garage and the owner asked me if I had had any problems So farwith my new one.............. his brother-in-law works as service manager at a large midlands JLR dealership and he tells me that His B-I-L says virtually every New Defender that has gone out has come back with one or more problems - mostly software issues with the main touch screen not mirroring Apple phone screen Apps or not running apps but also a lot of QC issues with window seals........ But it seems that PowerfulUK isn’t the only owner to get the restricted power issue on their P300 and the issue has been traced back to the same problem with the yellow clip not being removed and the pipe coming off.

Stephen I noticed the same rain water run off from the roof too - but being used to an old Defender where the guttering at the A pillar doesn’t drip, it deluges when you open the door, I wasn’t unduly concerned about the small run off from the new one.

I’m sure plenty of manufacturers have issues with new models, but LR has hyped this car up so much as being improved over the last one and allegedly done xx millions of road testing miles it really makes me wonder where they test them ( in a lab on a rolling road where it never rains by the look of things Rolling with laughter )and why the test drivers don’t report something as annoying as poor roof Water runoff / gutter design - maybe the arrogant Professor over-ruled them all for criticising his “perfect” designs, who will know! Maybe he considered that to be another design feature carried over from the old model......

I also happened to look in the drivers footwell this morning and was a bit surprised at the amount of scratching on the plastic floor checker plate under the steering column - my car has only done 200 miles and I wear soft soled shoes most of the time, looks like the design of the cheap carpet mats does not cover the floor covering up to the pedals, so it looks like I might have to dig out the proper big mats that covered that area from my RRS or Evoques - the big rubber footwell mats designed for farmers to use....... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 24th Jun 2020 12:16pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #839353 24th Jun 2020 12:04pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
Please check your options list from ordering, are you absolutely sure the dripping is a standard feature or did you even pay for it? Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #839356 24th Jun 2020 12:12pm
Tim in Scotland

Footwell mats
So here is what you get in your First Edition’s foot wells to hide the acres of grey plastic floor

Driver

Passenger

My fix - the LR Rubber ones are £178 a set.......... Mini’s almost perfect fit £45, sorry LR but I don’t see where your prices come from for foot well mats The Countryman’s set have a good lot of years life left in then so I won’t be forking out for LR ones but they might like to donate a set for the hassles I’m having with my £60500 new car........
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #839361 24th Jun 2020 12:33pm
J77

Scotland 
I’m hoping to get rubber mats thrown in.

Most vehicles come with carpet flooring on which you put rubber mats, the new Defender has rubber flooring on which you put carpet mats Laughing
Post #839379 24th Jun 2020 2:27pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Tim your story of woe baffles me...

£60K for the car with cloth seats, leaks, informatics iffy, and no 'free' mats on collection.... ooh and the plastics scratch easily

ooh and only 200 miles old..

How would it fair with a family and the kit we chuck in the car Smile

Big Cry
Post #839406 24th Jun 2020 4:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>