↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Another carried over “feature” of the “Classic” Defe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Morepower

New Zealand 
Sorry to say this... Value engineering.... LR are squeezing all it's suppliers to bring costs down and down... unlike the price we're expected to pay... It's so bad one of my friends actually left.... He was shocked by the powers above saying some cheap sensor made in china was too expensive and to go back and ask them to make it cheaper....
I know cars like most things have to be 'built to a cost'... However, there's a limit to where we as the customers are expected to have to pay for the privilege... I believe (although I have no information directly to hand, and I'm open to correction on this) that LR make about 60k on the average FFRR...
and regards to the supposedly 1.2 million miles testing... I think you'll find thats a total combined mileage of components... It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #839413 24th Jun 2020 4:09pm
J77

Scotland 
The rubber mats actually look better than the premium carpet mats.

Click image to enlarge
Post #839415 24th Jun 2020 4:14pm
J77

Scotland 
Morepower wrote:
Sorry to say this... Value engineering.... LR are squeezing all it's suppliers to bring costs down and down... unlike the price we're expected to pay... It's so bad one of my friends actually left.... He was shocked by the powers above saying some cheap sensor made in china was too expensive and to go back and ask them to make it cheaper....
I know cars like most things have to be 'built to a cost'... However, there's a limit to where we as the customers are expected to have to pay for the privilege... I believe (although I have no information directly to hand, and I'm open to correction on this) that LR make about 60k on the average FFRR...
and regards to the supposedly 1.2 million miles testing... I think you'll find thats a total combined mileage of components...

I believe the RR Sport has the biggest profit margin. Not sure what it is but runs in my mind I read in an Autocar or Auto Express article.
Post #839417 24th Jun 2020 4:16pm
Tim in Scotland

The seat coverings in mine are half leather, the centre of the seat cushion, centre of the seat backs and the vertical surround is leather. The fabric bit is actually quite nice to touch, does not feel cheap. And if the car has sat in the sun less likely to fry your calves o backside if wearing shorts. Warm in winter too even though seat heaters are standard on the front seats., no seat heaters in the back though On my car. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 24th Jun 2020 5:16pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #839427 24th Jun 2020 5:08pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Fair enough but still I'm surprised any £60K car has cloth seats, Alcantara maybe in part especially on sports cars as its very gripy?

Also at this level you can normally choose air cooled as an option with the heated seats so best of both in summer / winter Smile

Is / was this an option on the defender you could have ticked for another arm & a leg Thumbs Up
Post #839432 24th Jun 2020 5:15pm
Tim in Scotland

Everyone I’ve spoken to who has cooled seats on an RRS/FFRR says the fans are feeble and you hardly notice the cooling, also the seat heaters are less efficient On cars with heated and cooling seats. It’s an option on all New Defenders except First Edition - living up here I would prefer decent seat heaters over cooled seats. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #839436 24th Jun 2020 5:20pm
labbix

I had heated and cooled seats on my D5 and that worked really well, no complaints at all. I had expected a bit more from the massage function, but even that one was nice!
Post #839447 24th Jun 2020 6:23pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Stacey007 wrote:
^ Fair enough but still I'm surprised any £60K car has cloth seats, Alcantara maybe in part especially on sports cars as its very gripy?

Why?

Some man made materials far exceed any qualities leather may offer; and then you have to think about the type of leather being used in modern High volume vehicles. Sometimes it seems it's almost leather in name only and skinned so fine it needs backing materials to give it any sort of durability.
Post #839608 25th Jun 2020 11:23am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Many people also won't entertain leather seats on the basis that they don't want to sit on a dead animal.
Post #839620 25th Jun 2020 12:27pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
It's like leather sofas - look & smell nice, and good for spillages, but not so good to sit on. I much prefer fabric.
Post #839714 25th Jun 2020 6:29pm
J77

Scotland 
Personally never understood why leather has always been perceived as luxury.
Post #839723 25th Jun 2020 7:24pm
Tim in Scotland

One thing JLR hasn’t wittered on about with this car is how many recycled cola bottles have been used in the furnishings, they went on and on about with Evoque - dash top was made out of 49 1.5ltr bottles IIRC except in my Dynamic Plys it was definitely anti-vegan as I had the Lux Plus with extended leather. My first RRS only the seat squabs and back was was leather, the rest was extremely good faux leather (according to Land Rover) in reality it was some very smart PVC. For many years Mercedes used BenzTex that was also a very convincing leather look PVC too. At least with real leather you don’t get a blast of static electricity when you get out like you used to with velour interiors! Some Range Rovers and Jaguars are now available with something called Luxatec (I think that’s what it’s called) for those who don’t want any part of their car’s interior to be dead animal. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #839751 25th Jun 2020 9:30pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Everyone I’ve spoken to who has cooled seats on an RRS/FFRR says the fans are feeble and you hardly notice the cooling, also the seat heaters are less efficient On cars with heated and cooling seats. It’s an option on all New Defenders except First Edition - living up here I would prefer decent seat heaters over cooled seats.

Eh? Tim, you didn't speak to me, otherwise I'd tell you differently. Whistle

My RRS came with heated & cooled seats, which I always thought was a gimmick, but I will not buy another car without this feature!

When the temperature hits 45C here, you *NEED* cooled seats, otherwise you very quickly end up with a damp bottom Rolling with laughter

Granted, it doesn't get as cold here as in Scotland, but we do go down to 2C-4C, and the heated seats are simply superb then! --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #839795 26th Jun 2020 9:12am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Mini to ditch leather
"Leather trim won't be offered on future Minis, according to design boss Oliver Heilmer.

It’s part of a raft of changes that Mini is looking at as it moves towards the next generation of cars. Responsibility forms a key part of the strategy, along with three other values: curiosity, heartbeat and daredevil.

Last year, 54% of new Minis ordered in the UK featured real leather. According to Heilmer, the lack of leather is a key consideration in making Minis as sustainable as possible.

“We don’t need leather any more in the future, because we don’t believe it’s sustainable," he said. "We're totally convinced that we will have modern and high-value products without leather.”

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...-interiors

Someone will have to explain why buying a car involves :" three other values: curiosity, heartbeat and daredevil"?
Post #882832 3rd Feb 2021 9:04am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
If cows were being farmed just for their skins then I could see their point but isn't leather effectively a by-product of the meat industry? Sounds like marketing nonsense. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #882838 3rd Feb 2021 9:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>