↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Alexa and Apple Music
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stng110

Australia 
Alexa and Apple Music
Hi All! A few days ago I received the Alexa update. I installed etc and it works fine. But despite having the Apple Music skill on my phone, when I use Alexa own the LR, saying something like “Alexa, play Self Esteem on Apple Music”, it says that the device doesn’t support Apple Music. When I try Alexa on my phone, it gives a similar message, saying a compatible device is not connected. I’m guessing Echo might be an example of a compatible device.

My question is this: does anyone know how to get Alex on Pivi Pro working with Apple Music on s connected IPhone. Not a big deal if I can’t because Siri works perfectly, but I was thinking I might only ever have to deal with a single interface (Pivi) rather than two.

Any wisdom appreciated Smile

Simon
Post #941745 9th Feb 2022 9:24am
WizzardPrang

England 
From JLR's Alexa guide:

Quote:
Alexa is not integrated with Wireless Apple CarPlay®7. It also isn’t integrated with Android AutoTM8
If you are using one of these, then Alexa will be unable to make calls when asked
If you wish to use Alexa to make calls, then please disconnect from Apple CarPlay®7. The same applies to Android AutoTM8
Alternatively, use Siri or Google Assistant to make your call using a long press of the steering wheel speech recognition button

The full guide can be downloaded here: https://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/software-update/alexa.html

Once I'd discovered that, I abandoned my planned Alexa setup. I don't have any Alexa-enabled home lights or garage door. Sad Current vehicle: 2020 Defender 110S
Gone: Defender 90 HT 200Tdi, Discovery Sport, Freelander 2

Insta: wizzardprang
Post #942012 10th Feb 2022 10:38pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Turn car play off and just use Alexa, far better features Mike
Post #942014 10th Feb 2022 10:58pm
stng110

Australia 
The problem I’m having is that it won’t play anything from Apple Music. Even though I have the skill setup in Alexa. I like Alexa, it’s quick, but if it doesn’t do everything, then it is just another option I have to fiddle with, and I’m not willing to go from Apple Music to Amazon Music…too big a change.

I actually only use CarPlay for music and a couple of apps. I use Pivi for navigation, weather, etc…

Alas, my expectation that Alexa would provide a fast, efficient and universal voice interface has been dashed!

S
Post #942028 11th Feb 2022 3:00am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I use pivi for everything, with Spotify and Alexa

Can't stand car play, Google maps etc

Not sure why it won't play the music it does on my wife's profile but in the disco Mike
Post #942125 12th Feb 2022 1:33am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
stng110 wrote:
The problem I’m having is that it won’t play anything from Apple Music. Even though I have the skill setup in Alexa. I like Alexa, it’s quick, but if it doesn’t do everything, then it is just another option I have to fiddle with, and I’m not willing to go from Apple Music to Amazon Music…too big a change.

I actually only use CarPlay for music and a couple of apps. I use Pivi for navigation, weather, etc…

Alas, my expectation that Alexa would provide a fast, efficient and universal voice interface has been dashed!

S

If Apple ever allow a native Apple Music App on Pivi then it could happen but unfortunately Alexa on the LR hardware isn’t able to access your phone.

I just stick with wireless CarPlay in the Disco as it’s more reliable than wondering if Spotify is going to appear in the Pivi app list today or if I’ve magically been logged out of InControl. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #942132 12th Feb 2022 7:22am
stng110

Australia 
I’m sticking with a combination of Pivi and Siri. It seems like Pivi should work with the iPhone as a media source, but when I ask it to “Play Apple Device album X”, it says something like “loading media” and then nothing happens…so frustrating. If the Pivi Pro system wasn’t so good I wouldn’t care, but it is!

First world problem.

S
Post #942235 12th Feb 2022 9:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1