↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Body panel shortage?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Body panel shortage?
After a disagreement with with a concrete wall last weekend I called my local dealership to make an appointment for a repair estimate……… “sorry we no longer do body repairs bigger than paint touch ups, you’ll have to take your car to our Perth branch” - this from the dealership that under family ownership had one of the best body repair shops in Central Scotland but the new owner has decided to strip them of their excellent facility.
Took the car 45 miles to the Perth branch who inspected the damage and sent me a quote. I accepted the quote and asked how long to get the bits - reply “no body panels are available and more than 3 months lead in time………” . Really surprised that a bit of tinplate that takes seconds to put through their massive press needs an indefinite but very long lead in time - surely it cannot be due to the chip shortage or Covid? Maybe this is the reason that new cars are taking so long to be built too, no body panels available!
I have been offered a panel beater repair as an option “because it will be quicker than waiting for a new panel”

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #942155 12th Feb 2022 12:20pm
J77

Scotland 
Perths a very good bodyshop, had to take my D3 there because someone keyed it, and my Disco Sport went there to repair the tailgate because I failed to spot the bollard in the rear view camera Embarassed Laughing 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #942162 12th Feb 2022 1:28pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l would be tempted to wait the three months for a panel replacement, that's a fairly complex panel and l think replacement would be better than repair.

I wonder why there's such a delay on body parts? All availability reserved for production maybe. They make more from finished vehicles than supplying random panels.
Post #942180 12th Feb 2022 4:15pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I agree, ironic the end is just plastic

It is worrying the parts delay, you must be annoyed Mike
Post #942182 12th Feb 2022 4:17pm
kenzle8a

I’d think most smart repair places will do a far less invasive job than removing the whole panel, i had the whole panel done on my mini and it never fitted quite as well as the factory. I’ve seen a few smart places and it’s moved far beyond panel beating.
Post #942230 12th Feb 2022 8:15pm
Tim in Scotland

In 2006 I had a great repair done to my 1st RRS by the local ChipsAway franchise, the dent in the tailgate was invisible and the colour match (Giverny Green) was really well blended in - so good that 6byears after I traded the car in I was contacted by the dealers who were surprised to find filler on the tailgate when the then owner had taken the car in for a full respray after 6 hard years of driving in inner London. The same ChipsAway also removed keying marks from my brother’s Aston Nartin Rapide and did a very good invisible job on that too. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #942232 12th Feb 2022 8:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1