↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Namibia on a fly drive - Trip Report and Photo's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Namibia on a fly drive - Trip Report and Photo's
Anyone got any experience of doing a trip like this?

Flights seem a little expensive, but I really fancy booking and going for a bit of an explore. Thinking of mid October.

Any tips greatly appreciated Thumbs Up

Thanks

Ian

Last edited by Higgers on 12th Nov 2011 3:12pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #76946 21st Jun 2011 9:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Re: Namibia on a fly drive?
Higgers wrote:
Anyone got any experience of doing a trip like this? Flights seem a little expensive, but I really fancy booking and going for a bit of an explore. Thinking of mid October.

Ian,

We did a 6000km trip to Etosha in April/May. Lots of EU visitors fly to Windhoek and then rent a fully equipped 4x4 and camp, google Britz, Kea, namibia camping rentals, etc.

Firstly, so Namibia is a BIG place, and the distances mean you may spend 8+ hours driving. Get a Tracks4Africa map and plot your routes carefully. As soon as you see a gravel road, double the time required to get there, e.g., on tar 100km will take 1 hour, on gravel 2 hours.

Secondly, do not try to see the whole country in one go. Limit yourself to an area, e.g., Etosha & surrounding areas, or West Coast & Namib desert, else you will require at least 4-5 weeks in-country to see everything.

Food is cheap and diesel readily available, but make sure your rental has a jerrycan just in case.

Currently it is FRIKKEN cold in Namibia, it was snowing around Sossusvlei last week with temperatures going down to -12C in some places, so prepare yourself accordingly! --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #76948 21st Jun 2011 10:15am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I have these guys saved in my bookmarks http://www.safaridrive.com/index.htm

Not used them so can't really comment but the website looks ok
Post #76994 21st Jun 2011 4:04pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I seem to recall that John Pearson editor of LRO did a fly drive holiday to Namibia some time back.

Might be worth dropping him an email and finding out what issue it was in and seeing if you can get a copy.

Brendan
Post #77043 21st Jun 2011 8:05pm
Higgers

Booked. 15 Days in a fully kitted out Defender 110 at the end of October. Very Happy
Post #84427 15th Aug 2011 7:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Higgers wrote:
Booked. 15 Days in a fully kitted out Defender 110 at the end of October. Very Happy

Sweet!

Check out my trip report if you need help planning: http://www.overland.co.za/travel_reports/N...l_2011.pdf --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #84449 15th Aug 2011 9:33am
Higgers

Fly out to Windhoek tomorrow, can't wait Very Happy
Post #95219 20th Oct 2011 3:47pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
BigMike wrote:
I have these guys saved in my bookmarks http://www.safaridrive.com/index.htm

Not used them so can't really comment but the website looks ok

i went with these guys a few years back, superb trip, good well equipped LR110 (td5) had everything on it we needed and we tweaked the trip to suit our budget. would go with them again.

Have fun. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #95256 20th Oct 2011 8:32pm
Higgers

Just got back, had an excellent time and the Defender never missed a beat.

When I get a spare minute I'll write a more detailed report and get some pictures up.

Thumbs Up
Post #99082 10th Nov 2011 10:05am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
That'd be great, look forward to it Thumbs Up
Post #99088 10th Nov 2011 10:24am
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Higgers wrote:
When I get a spare minute I'll write a more detailed report and get some pictures up.

Thumbs Up

Please do ! Thumbs Up Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #99114 10th Nov 2011 12:26pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Higgers wrote:
Just got back, had an excellent time and the Defender never missed a beat.

Thumbs Up

Looking forward to the report etc,, Something similar is in the medium term plan Thumbs Up California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #99425 11th Nov 2011 9:03pm
Higgers

Right, this may be pretty lengthy but hopefully quite useful for those who may want to do something like this.

Why Namibia?

Its pretty safe and it seemed a little more remote than South Africa

Route

We basically did a Northern route from Windhoek to Waterberg Plateau, Etosha National Park, Damaraland, Skeleton Coast, Namib Desert and back to Windhoek. We covered about 3000km over 14 days generally travelling from 0830hrs to about latest 1530hrs. We found this a good balance of driving and relaxing.

Accommodation
Mainly camped in the roof tent but had 5 nights accross the 17 nights we spent in Namibia in some pretty nice places. Camping was £15-30 a night, majority had swimming pools, restaurant and basic shop to private lodges which were £250 ish per night.

The Car

I wanted a Defender and to be honest we paid a premium for it. We hired from Bushlore and we found the service to be pretty good. The Defender was 18 months old and had completed about 100,000 km. It was a little tired, however mechanically it was fine. Only issues we had were the seat side bolster was broke and it tended to hold on to the revs for too long when changing gear.

The Defender had extended fuel tanks, split charge, roof tent, all camping and cooking kit, fridge and on board water.

Overall it cost about £150 a day. Quite expensive when you consider that a 3.0 D4D Auto Hilux is about £110 a day.

Kit and Equipment

We had everything supplied with the car and I must admit it was all in pretty good condition. We did take a inverter which was pretty invaluable seens as Marie ended up taking about 2500 photo's. The Defender was excellent although it took me a while to realise that I had to travel at about 80-100kph over the corrugations in the road to make them bearable, although this makes the car very skittish. The main issue I had was dust entering the cab and the inability to properly secure personal kit and equipment. When ever we left the car we either had to keep someone in it (supermarkets in the big towns etc) or take passports, money, ipad with us in a rucksac.

The roof tent was a Ezi-Awn and I must say they are not a patch on Howling Moon or Maggi for quality and functionality. Main problem was securing the bottom of the fly screens with velcro which inevitably leave gaps and allow to bugs and mozzi's in for a all night free feast!!!

Top Tips

Plan fuel stops as funnily enough, not everywhere has Diesel

Don't be afraid to plan a trip like this yourself. This was the first time we have ever been to Africa and although we had a few concerns it all turned out fine. We had very negative experiences with two companies who said they would organise everything for us. They basically strung us along and tried to extract as much money from us as possible even though we gave them a top budget to work to. With one, we almost booked and then realised that flights weren't included.

Don't try and do too much. We travelled between 100-400km per day.

Don't panic - we found ourselves going along a road that would be a rough UK greenlane for about 60km, we kind of new we were going in the right direction however doubts started to creep in, especially when we had to cross a river. Amazingly it just opened up, road signs appeared again and we were back in track. We could have easily turned back, and wasted a whole day but it was actually a main road.

Be sensible - we had some big off road plans, but came to our senses and took local advice that going up there on your own with no phone signal was dangerous - so I swallowed my pride Embarassed

Final thought

I saw about 50 Hilux to every Defender in Namibia and I thought I'd never say it but its because they are better for that type of driving. I spoke to a couple of locals with tricked up Hilux's and although they admitted the Defender was better off road, they were more expensive, not secure, let the dust and water in and were generally not Africa friendly. I kind of agree, but I wouldn't have wanted to drive one. I'm Defender man (although I run a D4 at the mo Laughing ) and for me, there was no better car to complete this trip in.

Photo's

Letting tyre pressure down to aid the suspension soak up the bumps!!

Click image to enlarge

Typical Hilux hire car

Old and new in Swakopmund

My favourite car if the trip

That it - more photos in my gallery Thumbs Up

Next trip - Iceland next summer Thumbs Up

Cheers

Ian

Last edited by Higgers on 12th Nov 2011 7:22pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #99503 12th Nov 2011 3:10pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
some good points there.

So did you just hire the vehicle from Bushlore and sort the rest yourself? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #99526 12th Nov 2011 6:52pm
Higgers

Yep, hired vehicle only and did the rest ourselves. Thumbs Up
Post #99529 12th Nov 2011 7:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>