↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > New engine - or other options?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
I´m very interested to see what developes here. The emission regulations (particularly for diesel), tax and the city restrictions will soon make it near impossible to run a Defender in Germany.
The problem with any engine conversion is going to be (as Julie mentioned) the Certificate of Conformity and an emissiion rating.
The M57 sounds like a fantastic upgrade from the TCDi, whilst still maintaining the essence of what the vehicle is about. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #854889 8th Sep 2020 8:56am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think we can safely assume that the Grenadier will not be using Landrover axles!
Post #854896 8th Sep 2020 9:07am
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
cold wrote:
Mata - just saw https://www.facebook.com/837260399956385/posts/1240443286304759/ posted by MWmachines - I can only assume it is yours, lucky guy Thumbs Up Bow down

Ha, yes well spotted!

Trying to answer all the questions so far it’s an M57N2 from a 2007 BMW 330d which was the final revision before the N57 so has the alloy block and GTB2260VK turbo. Yes it’s a ZF 8 speed auto from a 2016 BMW X5 with a completely new gearbox controller allowing some very very smart features which is mainly where the time is currently going.

Drive train was already upgraded at the rear after inexplicable diff failure; it’s an Ashcroft helical LSD in a rebuilt pegged case with HD shafts and flanges. We’ve put an Ashcroft LSD in the centre diff whilst mid conversion to reign in any one tyre fires up front and it’s all working very well so far - as per video launching in the wet, the tc light comes on but there’s minimal modulation from the ABS block that I can tell. Front axle is all original with 150k Miles on it except for new oem flanges. Obviously this is eyed for future upgrade when the time comes, although I’ll probably opt for 4 pin over lsd given the intended application of 99% road.
Post #854950 8th Sep 2020 1:18pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Grenadier wrote:
I assume you’re not talking about me Rolling with laughter

I think the Grenadier is using Mata’s set up albeit with the latest incarnation of BMW’s flat-six diesel, the N57 which replaced the M57 in Mata’s. And I’m pretty sure it’s mated with the 8-speed ZF. The N57 apparently has more problems than the M57 and for those who’ve driven both, they seem to prefer the M57.

Yeah, sorry, I meant the upcoming truck from INEOS Rolling with laughter
Post #855065 9th Sep 2020 7:18am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Julie wrote:
Yeah, loss of CoC, too. Do they certify the vehicle according to the small series rules in the European certification standard ?

Or is it probably "off road use only" ?

Our local Land Rover indie (an absolute obsessive and well known in the French LR scene or scène) once told me that contrary to popular belief in France, you CAN change your engine as long as the fuel type remains consistent. He’s certainly changed one of his Tdi. All you have to do is get it homologated with your local prefecture. I will eventually check as this is something I’d like to do next year. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #855198 9th Sep 2020 4:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123