↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > The security question again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you have to leave it parked up for a while, a good enforcement-quality wheel clamp on a rear wheel is worthwhile.

Another tip worth considering if you are very paranoid is that old grinding disks can be epoxied onto things you don't want attacked with an angle grinder - you can't cut a grinding disk with another grinding disk.

Apropos the door hinges, none of the so-called security hinges that I know of offer any security at all, since those which shroud the fasteners only do so when the door is shut. In my view this offers no advantage whatsoever again door theft, since the villains will open the door before stealing it - it is so easy to open a Defender that it is a joke, really, and the doors shouldn't be relied upon for any real security. So if you want to make it hard to steal the doors, you must fill the screw/bolt heads (pin torx heads are not secure, everyone has pin torx bits now).
Post #746295 18th Dec 2018 2:36pm
2010Blackdefender90

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Mine...factory immobiliser, factory alarm, aftermarket immobiliser, cuts fuel pump and starter motor, steering lock, pedal lock, acrosss all pedals, doors handles with no key locks, secure bonnet hinges, always park it wedged in so it can’t be towed or dragged out.

I also installed a small two red flashing LED’s in the back, on the window surrounds, puzzles everyone, but a visual deterrent to make someone curious it could be a back up alarm... if the scrots want it, they will find a way, but as much hassle as possible might deter them and they move on to one with less hassle or unprotected.
Post #746422 19th Dec 2018 3:04pm
stephan123

United Kingdom 
camelman wrote:
jst wrote:
X~eng ignition lock as another layer. Stops std steering lock being broken off.

If it's one of the later Pumas this won't fit, only works up to MY 2014

Why won't it work? I just ordered one for my 2015 Defender Sad
Post #746447 19th Dec 2018 5:46pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Thank you all for your comments and PM's Thumbs Up

I will note that the gear lever lock is NOT available for the Puma Defenders. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #746615 20th Dec 2018 4:06pm
Tegner

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
just fitted an Optimill quick release steering boss well engineered piece of kit
Post #746627 20th Dec 2018 4:45pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Fit the loudest siren you can possibly find, inside the car. That way if anybody opens any door or Windows the alarm will be activated. It will wake up the dead and with luck cause permanent deafness to the miscreant. Quite apart from which, with that level of noise they won't be able to think, never mind do anything. Yes it's illegal, but I couldn't care less. They shouldn't be inside my car in the first place
Post #747072 23rd Dec 2018 6:29pm
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
id say fit as many as possible, may be a pain at the time, but you know your defender is more likely to be there when you return.. Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #747288 25th Dec 2018 12:33pm
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Re: The security question again
AndrewS wrote:
I've go a 110 utility coming this Thursday and wont be able to lock it away as I can with my other Defenders. So I am going to fit security. I have searched on here and can see that over time security devices are not as secure as they once were, for example the availability of battery disc cutters have rendered some items virtually worthless. So im after up-to-date advice if anyone can help that would be great.
I'm going to point out some items and place my comments/perception against them. Please feel free to add your items or correct mine.

Pedal Locks:- Positive = Vehicle cant be driven away whilst fitted. Negative= Wont stop the vehicle being loaded onto a trailer? can be cut off.

Steering locks:- Positive = Visual Deterrent. Negative= If the thief opens the door the steering wheel can be turned?

Removable steering wheel with boss lock:- Positive = Cant steer the vehicle, Negative = ??? Please comment

Tracker:- Seems a good idea to get your car back if it gets nicked, I dont want it to get nicked in the first place.

Gear lever lock:- Positive = Impossible to move vehicle. Negative = Can be cut off, no use if props are removed, *not available for Puma Defenders.

Clearly there are all the other handy bits ref bonnet cable guard, critical alarm loom relocation, isolator switch etc etc

The thing is there doesn't seem to be anything on the market you can fit and have a good nights sleep knowing that the vehicle will be safe. As I have mentioned above the removable steering wheel with the boss lock seems the best starting point. What do youse think?

* Edit

My 'ardcase and disklok (with extra plates welded on the back) have prevented 2 attempted thefts. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #748243 31st Dec 2018 1:44pm
nitram17

stephan123 wrote:
camelman wrote:
jst wrote:
X~eng ignition lock as another layer. Stops std steering lock being broken off.

If it's one of the later Pumas this won't fit, only works up to MY 2014

Why won't it work? I just ordered one for my 2015 Defender Sad

You have probably found out by now but LR changed the design of the steering column there is nothing to hold the shear bolt...I think someone on here came up with a bodge to get round it ....so they might have pm'd you by now!
Post #749492 5th Jan 2019 11:18pm
stephan123

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up
Post #749538 6th Jan 2019 11:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12