↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Bath proposes clean air charge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
walfy wrote:
I think I'm the 4x4 driver running around BAth that bloke despises so much. His comment about pollution being so bad is a bit laughable. It's not that bad, and I work right in the centre. I happily go for a wander about during my lunch break and I'm not dead yet Rolling with laughter

Pollution in Bath is pretty bad. However according to this, nowhere near the worst affected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43964341
Post #735637 18th Oct 2018 9:59pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
walfy wrote:
I think I'm the 4x4 driver running around BAth that bloke despises so much. His comment about pollution being so bad is a bit laughable. .........Rolling with laughter

Please define a 4x4 driver? Are they the big, beer belly gas guzzling Land Rover or Jeep driver? Are they the tie and suited driver of the Audi’s? What about the green drive of the electric car. Electric cars mainly have four wheels in contact with the road. Quite often drive is to all 4 wheels.

Oops is that not the definition of a 4x4? 4 wheels in contact with the ground all driven?

Brendan
Post #735640 18th Oct 2018 10:30pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Every one of them are the same, they'll tell others not to drive. They should not do this and that and they should use a bus etc etc.
Then they have a petrol themselves and keep that quiet and hoping an praying they won't be charged.
Because in their book any 4x4 regardless of fuel or size are driven by "toffs" or anyone's who isn't a leftist workshy so and so.

As I said before, this is a money spinner and politically / status motivated.

When the MP was on the news, all she was on about was Council point scoring discussing politics rather than this thing what she was actually supposed to be talking about.

There are also goodness knows how many busses, coaches and trains but apparently they are exempt because they decide so.

Seems like an attack on freedom to me.

That's not to mention the politically based graffiti sprayed on the roads all around the city too.
If anyone has been near they will know what I mean, and the council will not remove it and on the reporting pages there is even comments by people saying why is it not removed.

No ones missing much with the place imo, but there you go. Make of that what you will.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #735649 18th Oct 2018 11:00pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Stinky tourist busses, council funded busses and old lorries together with a road network made to halt traffic is the main reason for pollution in Bath not visitors in their huge 4x4’s

If Bath had no visitors it would implode rapidly

Parking charges have recently doubled

Bath needs a bypass but the landed gentry around the outskirts won’t allow it

Bath gets what it deserves
Post #735666 19th Oct 2018 8:26am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Agree the buses in London probably pollute more in the inner city than the cars do.

Surprisingly the majority of emissions (~40%)in the uk come from construction related activities (so I presume this includes Volvo 88’ FMX, skips and even concrete) and they don’t get charged congestion or LEZ most of the times as they are legally speaking “engineering vehicles”

Honestly speaking they’re going about this the wrong way, the government should be incentivising EVs rather than penalise fuel drivers.

Also speaking of EVs per mile I think they work out more in fuel cost due to energy inefficiency in the national grid distribution and the price per kWh and standing charge. And lest be honest the national grid can nearly cope with half time brews, so how they’re going to charge 30 million cars every day is a massive hurdle.

Then you have the problem that the fire brigade don’t carry the right gear to fight large electrical fires.

Whilst I agree that the emissions are a problem they could go about it another way, I’m sure we could have massive ducts to suck away these emissions to a facility to catalyse and convert them. Think a large refinery that captures and converts.

Lastly something that I would really like to see is a hybrid 90 defender with a 1l eco boost fox engine. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #735678 19th Oct 2018 9:36am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
leeds wrote:
Well our local town has a clean ir zone due to NO2 exceeding limits in a hollow. The planning dept. have a blanket ban on residential development in this area due to air pollution.

OK you could argue that this is good on public health ground which in general terms I have no issues with trying to improve public health.

Now looking at the map there is a major road entering the hollow, to the east of the hollow a large swathe of houses are included.

To the west of the main road the boundary of the clean air zone follows the pavement. As it climbs out of the hollow a minor road enters from the west. Above the minor road the clean air zone going uphill the boundary extends westward to include the houses.

Now NO2 is heavier then air so will sink into hollows so you can understand the lack of residental development.

What is on the other side of the pavement forming the boundary of the clean air zone? A major NHS hospital. Well NO2 must realise it is a hospital so will not cross the pavement. Hence development within the hospital grounds is permitted!

Am I being cynical here?

Brendan

We have intelligent avalanches here, go right round houses. Normally houses of well-known Chamonix families and retired mayors Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #735709 19th Oct 2018 3:48pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Pollution is a hotly debated subject here in Chamonix, which on certain days exceeds the levels in Paris. French government did a survey and despite the tree-huggers cries of foul play (we have many tree huggers here), it was found that 85% of the pollution came from log burners/fires and not as they claim, the articulated lorris passing through the tunnel on a daily basis. Further, there are stacks of houses and loads of apartment blocks and hotels that still burn oil for their heating. Worse quality than car diesel, passing unfiltered through 30+ year old burners, and as is the way on the continent, heating the enire apartment block between Sept and Apr, 24hrs a day, plus hot water, even when most are second homes and never occupied. Profligate over-use, leads to the pollution, not the lorries. I see it every morning when I arrive and leave in winter. And ironically, the tree-huggers potter around in 15 year old diesel clios, burn logs to heat their houses, put heating on as a last resort, and still think its the lorries. I'm not saying the lorries, and multitude of other diesels don't pollute, but sometimes you have to wake up and smell the coffee. Or the smog.

And then there's this:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/0...w-lorries/ Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #735711 19th Oct 2018 3:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thing is they haven’t even encouraged EV use anyway. They’ve had about 6 years to fit charging points. Oh no! Costs the old boys some money. Hence the rip off is superb they think. And those antis that think they’re all right jack would be charged themselves not 6 months later once they idiots have backed them in fulfilling their objectives. There are already businesses pulling out of there already such as Hombase. (Over charged anyway!) So yes, they deserve what they get if they try it abd they wouldn’t get a penny out of me. So they’ll combat one thing, partially and create a much much bigger problem.
That’s not to mention the MP claiming for a £4800 printer foc via the tax payer. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #735713 19th Oct 2018 4:02pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
We have 3 log burners, great aren't they! , keep us geriatrics nice and warm., 2 landrovers , 1 diesel campervan and 3 other old polluting petrol vehicles and on a good day you can barely see our cars for the smog. The electricity is often failing due to falling trees or branches, farmers gigging up the wrong things or hitting power cables or or even just normal overloads due to too much tea making during the breaks in the soaps, so an electric car is a bit of a non starter here in the sticks.
Broadband speed in non existent and upgrading plans are deferred every time, as are power line upgrades.
So you expect us to keep out of the towns and cities. Well, why would we want to visit, the shops are all closing down and soon there will be no reason to go art all.
Oh, how I enjoy being old when I see the fun that you youngsters will have in the next few decades. Rolling with laughter
You may really be lucky and get Corbyn as well so with national bankruptcy, pollution will be a minor problem.
I do so look forward to my cremation, unless of course it will be banned as I could become a greenhouse gas. Very Happy Very Happy Twisted Evil 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #735720 19th Oct 2018 4:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Watch out the log burner police are about, they recently started on that too!
Apparently it's a legal requirement now to have a 6" flue as well. Shocked Rolling Eyes

I haven't heard anything about any roads but they did try and concrete over acres of wildlife habitat for a blasted bus park and rob a farmer of all his land by CPO.
They failed in spectacular fashion on that, that was on the E side of Bath.

On the West side of Bath they were after again concreting over swathes of countryside, but not for transport but for houses for high ridiculously rents.
A certain Royal was involved or estate in it too, as they both had vested interests in making lots of £.
Fail.

Then they tried to get a I kid you not. "Zip wire". Cable car thing from outskirts into the city.
Fail.
You'd honestly think I'm kidding but I'm not! Shocked Rolling with laughter

So basically they'll do anything to try and screw normal people's lives over to make money.

There is also some more eveidence I'll show you of anti's behaviour around the vicinity.
Both political and vehicular.

** Edit, looking up the Byway I was thinking of on the report it map it has nice been removed the part I was thinking of. Rolling Eyes
So I cannot screenshot it, but it was a bobble hat Anti that reported a Byway open for all traffic.
"One can only assume that the Byway is so badly eroded and impassable for walkers and cyclists because 4byFours usage, please will you repair immediately".

It's not one I've ever used in my 90, but I know of it and I know it's on a hillside.
Water severely erodes these surfaces badly on a hillside by natural process, I know of a few like this both footpaths abd UCR's.

But no, it's 4byfours as they put it.
And you can bet your bottom dollar they like next to it and are hoping to god it's closed down.
I replied to it last night and said has this been repaired and likely caused by water erosion.
Whether it has been I do not know, but it has now been deleted anyway next day.

Remarkable.

Then there is this which is politically based.
(Please don't start a discussion particularly on this subject abd is not my intention.)
It does however, highlight political and financial motivation for trying to rip certain groups of motorists off.
Suppose it could be seen as discriminative seeing as some will / would have free entry.
Something here stinks, literally and it isn't a Diesel.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As you can see, well over 6 months and longer and they still haven't not and will not remove it. These are just two examples.

As most of us do, as we're all reasonably levelheaded people on here you can form your own conclusions.

Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 19th Oct 2018 6:30pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #735728 19th Oct 2018 5:20pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
WindyJ wrote:
Diesel simply brings the pollution local. Petrol sends it elsewhere, up a bit then over to Poland or somewhere. Electric sends it to Africa where it kills children...directly. Privileged champagne lefties hate hearing that....but it’s true. Defenders have a long lifespan and since 80%+ of emissions any vehicle is responsible for happen during its manufacture, my Defender is helping keep the planet clean by not needing to be replaced. Thing is with replacing it = governments get some more tax so they have poisoned young minds....trigger the Bath snowflakes with that.

100% agree. 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #735740 19th Oct 2018 6:08pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Post #735755 19th Oct 2018 7:36pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Some dubious figures in there and twisting of stats, like pollution caused by aeroplanes, I bet the actual pollution is much much higher and damage to the atmosphere.
Also, most people switched to diesel cars in the early 2000's because the government actively encouraged it with low road fund rates. Nothing to do with because people thought they were being "greener"! Most people would have been actually better to buy a small petrol car for their uses.
Either way it's not looking good for us diesel land rover owners in the coming years...
Post #736043 21st Oct 2018 3:30pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Why do you think those figures are dubious? Why do you bet that aeroplane pollution is higher than suggested? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #736044 21st Oct 2018 3:35pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Why not? It must cause some serious pollution, all be it not local at street level. Also think about the vast quantities of fuel it actually uses.
Post #736045 21st Oct 2018 3:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>