↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Very hot transmission tunnel, never had it before.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Linds Hanson wrote:

Defenders haven't had that type of transmission brake since 200TDI days up to 94MY

So all models since the 200TDi do not have an expander. Could you explain what the different set up is on the handbrake on more recent models. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #908325 17th Jun 2021 4:00pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Linds Hanson wrote:
Highly recommend changing oils to Swepco they make a tremendous difference to running temps and wear and tear. Speak to Mark Ratcliffe at Inspiring Solutions

There is no doubt different grade oils have benefits, running cooler can be one of them. In this case however I believe the type of oil is irrelevant to the problem experienced. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #908331 17th Jun 2021 4:14pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Linds Hanson wrote:
Highly recommend changing oils to Swepco they make a tremendous difference to running temps and wear and tear. Speak to Mark Ratcliffe at Inspiring Solutions

There is no doubt different grade oils have benefits, running cooler can be one of them. In this case however I believe the type of oil is irrelevant to the problem experienced. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #908332 17th Jun 2021 4:14pm
Magoyo

Argentina 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Grenadier wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that it's the handbrake shoe/drum. I loosened it a bit before my roadtrip to Spain and the heat stopped. Then one day I parked up, slight slack on the handbrake and the Def did the rock 'n' roll which self-tightened the HB. When I drove it the next day, it was hot again. Now I release the brake and if on a long journey give it a real waggle and make the cable feel as loose as possible, and since then, no heat. I'll adjust the shoe a little more, and may well add a heat shield at some point, but this does seem to have made an immediate difference. Thank you LR90XS2011 for the suggstion. Bow down

So, before a long drive, disengage the hand brake, let the vehicle settle ebfore driving off, and shake/waggle the handbrake lever until all tension is gone. When re-applying, do so gently and try and avoid the rock 'n' roll which seems to tighten the slack too much. If stopping on the long journey, perhaps avoid the hand brake and just leave it in a high gear? Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up incredible i found my exact problem, the last summer with a lot of travel on the road was really unbearable. As you said, paradoxically the heat was reduced by closing the windows. I bought quite a few insulating plates to put on the seat boxes and under the <cubby box, but I'll also try the handbrake thing. I'll comment later on how it went.
Post #941973 10th Feb 2022 6:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123