↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Very hot transmission tunnel, never had it before.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Very hot transmission tunnel, never had it before.
Gentlemen,

Just noticed a new problem, after two years and 20km of ownership. The transmission tunnel during two recent, 100km motorway drives (at an average of no more than 100km/h) has becoming roasting. So hot I cannot drive with the window closed.

Never, ever suffered from this before. For those who haven’t followed the recent travails of my DCPU, it recently had a catastrophic output shaft failure. It was repaired by OE parts and I also had a new clutch installed at the same time. Further, I have had a recent coolant leak, yet to be found nd repaired, requiring weekly top ups of coolant until I fully drain and test the system. Also the drive shaft seems to have started squeaking.

So any thoughts? Have they left an exhaust shield off? Does the transmission need an oil change? Does the DS need some grease? Are the exhaust gases hotter than they should be?

Driving to the Defender Party in Las Comes tomorrow, would rather not do it in a sauna if there is nothing I can remedy before leaving at lunch.

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #731562 27th Sep 2018 7:01pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Wouldn’t like to hazard a guess but mine gets very hot on long motorway stints ☹️
Post #731572 27th Sep 2018 8:13pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
It does sound like there is some sort of heat shield missing post clutch change. Without it the tunnel does get very hot.

Your drive shaft wouldn’t create that much heat but greasing it is a good idea anyway.

Coolant issue is likely to be unrelated but you really need to get a handle on that ASAP.. you know that though.

The only interim solution I can suggest to get you to the meet without cooking is to drape one of those silver foil windscreen reflectors over your transmission tunnel cut to shape if you want to. Probably keep the temp down on your long drive...
Post #731577 27th Sep 2018 8:24pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
is the handbrake dragging since the gearbox was removed? DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #731582 27th Sep 2018 8:32pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
My 2.2 gets ridiculously hot just under my left leg by the seat box, transmission tunnel & handbrake area...It's done this from new & I thought that was normal?

Although I can't remember either of my 2.4's getting hot & my Wolf 300TDi doesn't either.

I'll watch this post with interest! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #731597 27th Sep 2018 9:27pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
My2011 plate DCPU also gets tremendously hot. Handbrake, tunnel. Seat rails. All hot to the touch. 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #731599 27th Sep 2018 9:33pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
I’m fairly certain my 2012 2.2 is cool to touch. Now gone - 2012 2.2 110 DC XS
Post #731600 27th Sep 2018 9:38pm
Grenadier

Thanks for thoughts. Will take a look this morning. As mentioned, what's noticeable is that on all previous journeys, before the work was done, never got hot. Ever. That's now three journeys in a row and it's roasting. Big Cry

Will keep y'all posted. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #731608 28th Sep 2018 6:00am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My DC (no a/c) gets very hot around that area in hot weather, especially if you have either of the front cab windows open. This may seem paradoxical, but I believe that having the windows open, even a crack, causes the airflow past the body to draw air out of the cab and suck hot air up from under the vehicle into the footwells through the panel gaps and especially past the handbrake.

As far as I know the only heat shields fitted to any TDCi Defenders are those in the vicinitiy of the cat (on the 2.4) and DPF (on the 2.2), there are none anywhere else that I know of on the exhaust.

You will also find that the gearboxes do get hot in normal use since there are so many moving parts generating heat from friction.
Post #731620 28th Sep 2018 8:08am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Several things have happened since your output shaft replacement which could be related to having had gearbox (for clutch replacement) and transfer box removed and replaced.

01.The coolant leak - possibly as a result of incorrect hose replacement or damage done to a hose or fitting (e.g. heater control valve) during removal/replacement of the transmission).

02. Hot feet - the exhaust system has to be removed (at least partially) to drop the transmission, maybe it's leaking hot gasses or too close to the floor (unlikely but possible). Maybe the gearbox and or transfer box is running hot because of low lubricant.

If I were you I'd have it checked by someone that you trust and take it from there.

Be lucky Thumbs Up
Post #731663 28th Sep 2018 1:19pm
blackwolf

^^ It is worth bearing in mind that the fuel cooler is extremely close to the gearbox and it is possible that it has been damaged, which could give rise to coolant loss.
Post #731664 28th Sep 2018 1:32pm
rillas

Australia 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
had same problem in my 130 2014 on investigation it was the exhaust so wrapped with heat tape success
Post #734497 13th Oct 2018 10:41am
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
geobloke wrote:
It does sound like there is some sort of heat shield missing post clutch change. Without it the tunnel does get very hot.

I don't remember seeing any heat shield near the GB or TB on mine, would you have the part number? “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #735466 18th Oct 2018 7:21am
Grenadier

I have come to the conclusion that it's the handbrake shoe/drum. I loosened it a bit before my roadtrip to Spain and the heat stopped. Then one day I parked up, slight slack on the handbrake and the Def did the rock 'n' roll which self-tightened the HB. When I drove it the next day, it was hot again. Now I release the brake and if on a long journey give it a real waggle and make the cable feel as loose as possible, and since then, no heat. I'll adjust the shoe a little more, and may well add a heat shield at some point, but this does seem to have made an immediate difference. Thank you LR90XS2011 for the suggstion. Bow down

So, before a long drive, disengage the hand brake, let the vehicle settle ebfore driving off, and shake/waggle the handbrake lever until all tension is gone. When re-applying, do so gently and try and avoid the rock 'n' roll which seems to tighten the slack too much. If stopping on the long journey, perhaps avoid the hand brake and just leave it in a high gear? Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #735502 18th Oct 2018 9:53am
blackwolf

Do you perhaps mean low gear?
Post #735506 18th Oct 2018 10:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>