↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Help needed with Towbar Setup
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Help needed with Towbar Setup
Hi all, have a dilemma with my tow bar setup.

Currently I have a Terrafirma (aka Southdown) Tank Guard with Detachable Tow bar - it's an awesome set up and I don't think you can buy them any more - but I may be wrong on that... Fitted in the lowest bolt holes my tow ball sits at 45cm high which is perfect for my trailer. I also carry bikes on the back using the MaxxRaxx setup, again a very good bit of kit and this just clears the spare wheel with a few mm to spare.

The issue I have is that I want to fit a spare wheel carrier. My door is dropping at a rate of knots and is now an interference fit with the boot floor - should have done it years ago as it was one of the first things I did on my 90. Doh! Rolling Eyes Anyway, if I fit the carrier I can no longer carry the bikes on the back.

As a secondary issue, but one I've lived with up until now, because the tow plate assembly is held with two pins, it rattles and annoys the hell outta me. Not as bad with a heavier trailer, but our camping trailer is light and it's hard to increase the nose weight much so it spends it's time winding me up with all the noise it makes.

I started looking into other solutions. I used to have a NAS Step on my 90, along with a wheel carrier, and used the MaxxRaxx so pretty sure it will fit. However the reason I removed the NAS Step from my 90 was because I couldn't get the tow ball low enough for my caravan (now sold)and ended up fitting a detachable receiver hitch.

To fit a NAS to the 110 and get the towball low enough, I'd need one of the Nakatanenga Drop Hitches, shown fitted below:

The benefits of this are that I get a solid hitch (no pins to rattle) at the right height and spaced away from the crossmember to take my bike rack.

The downsides are that I'd have to remove the Naka hitch for off roading (6-7 times a year) and I'd loose the tank guard along with a bit of my departure angle. Due to the Naka hitch I also can't have the bracket for my bike rack on at the same time, however I think I can get an adaptor for the towball to help with this.

This, coupled with purchasing both is going to cost nearly £500 (cash I don't have so would have to sell my current setup to help fund it) I'm reluctant to take the plunge without checking there isn't any better solutions that could help me - hence me asking here!

Any help appreciated Thumbs Up Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #730686 23rd Sep 2018 5:13pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Gosh, that is a lot of thinking! I'm not sure I can help much, but have seen the Dixon bate drop plate added to the NAS step but would be concerned it can take the load?

I also have the annoying two pin rattle with a light trailer. I was thinking of removing the pins and replace with suitable bolts, two each side to clamp tight and stop the rattle. Yes, it would be not so easy to change height but should stop the rattle. My pins take some getting out anyway and hitch height never change so no brainer for me I guess. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #730736 23rd Sep 2018 8:22pm
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Thanks James Thumbs Up

I hadn't thought of using bolts to be honest but may give it a go if I can find any the right size - my pins are big! Shocked

Doesn't help the cycle carrier issue mind you - thinking about it I'm sure I saw something on here a while back for cycle carriers, it was like a box section towbar extender (even had an extended lighting socket on it) to push the cycle carrier beyond the spare wheel.

I'm still deciding which is the best way to go! Idea Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #731260 25th Sep 2018 11:16pm
voorfrank

Netherlands 2002 Defender 110 2.5 TD SW Bonatti Grey
I did not install a sparewheel carrier, instead I installed Optimill hinges on the backdoor and have the sparewheel on the door. The door still closes as(or even better as) without the ste spare on.
I have a Puma reardoor, which I think are much stronger than the old ones and 255/85R16 tyre.
Post #731313 26th Sep 2018 12:10pm
Argee

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I’d be interested in the Southdown one if you do take it off.
Hope you get sorted.
Post #731379 26th Sep 2018 7:11pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
There was a NAS step with removable hitch socket which I looked at a while back.
May have been this one http://www.4wheeln.co.uk/shop2/product.php?id_product=615 which I had saved, but their website doesn't seem to work too well.
Would help re. removing the ball for off-roading, but you may still get rattles due to the removable parts!
Post #731451 27th Sep 2018 9:06am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I like the NAS ones, and fancy one like the original ones that had the 2” receiver, not tow Bar plate/holes

Andy.
Post #731452 27th Sep 2018 9:18am
leeds

United Kingdom 
I believe the genuine NAS step had a 2" receiver for the American market.

The 2" receiver with drop plate is not type approved towing equipment.

There are different versions of the aftermarket NAS step which allows tow balls to be attached direct to the NAS step which is too high for most towing situations.

The Nakatanenga dropped tow ball does carry the correct approval markings.

The genuine Southdown tank guard is a great bit of kit (fitted to our red 110) . If removing that tank guard we have supplied various fuel tanks with double skinned bottoms which will give a reasonableamount of protection.

HTH

Brendan
Post #731481 27th Sep 2018 11:46am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It's worth noting that the type approval issue only applies to those vehicles that are classified as cars or tax class M1. If the towing vehicle is N1 and therefore a commercial vehicle, the rules are different and the restriction doesn't apply. As I understand that all factory USW's were classified N1, they can legally use a 2 inch receiver set up as a tow bar.

As an aside, the type approval only came into force in 1997 so earlier vehicles can also use non-type approved towing equipment. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #731487 27th Sep 2018 12:19pm
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Is this any help?....would it fit a USW?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defe...2338893024
Post #731496 27th Sep 2018 12:43pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello ozzie1989

I have a similar set up to the direction you are considering, low(ish) height Tow Ball requirement (350mm), NAS Rear Step,
and Swing Away Spare Wheel Carrier....(and I hate rattles too).

I used a Dixon Bate 200mm Drop Plate + X2 50mm Drop Plate additions, all bolted together with Custom Metalwork,
bracing the arrangement, so zero rattel, and possible chance of DB Slider being stolen.

There is also room for me to add a NATO rear hitch above this set up when I tow my ex MOD Trailer.

LRA is right with a N1 classification there is more room for 'manoeuvre' with your set up.

If you can (and havn't already) locate the 13 Pin Electrical Socket within the Rear Cross Member.

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #731507 27th Sep 2018 2:00pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
DAZ110 wrote:
Is this any help?....would it fit a USW?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defe...2338893024

Since the 130 rear crossmember is the same as those used on 110 and 90 vehicles, this could certainly be made to fit. Probably the only thing that would need changing is that the two bracing arms would need swapping for 110 arms.

I wonder how many shin bruises you'd get before you remembered it was there!
Post #731512 27th Sep 2018 2:27pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
LRA I believe that the requirements for type approval on towing equipment for N1 vehicles changed about 2-3 years ago under regulation 55?

Now I am not sure of the effective date of this change and if the regulation was applied retrospective or not

Brendan
Post #731517 27th Sep 2018 3:30pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Keep the southdowbn guard, buy two more tractor tow pins at correct length and get a short bar extender to move hitch back so bike rack still fits with wheel carrier. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #731523 27th Sep 2018 4:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
leeds wrote:
LRA I believe that the requirements for type approval on towing equipment for N1 vehicles changed about 2-3 years ago under regulation 55?

That's a good spot, Brendan; I hadn't seen that one before and had to look it up. So, for the sake of completeness then:

Regulation EC94/20, implemented 1st August 1998, meant that all passenger cars registered from the data onwards could only legally use Type Approved tow bars.

This didn't apply to Defenders considered commercial vehicles - vans, pick-ups, DCPU's and USW's - but did to all station wagons.

From 29th October 2012, this became Regulation 55, which introduced the same Type Approval requirements for light commercials (up to 3500GVW) and motorhomes.

So, if your Defender is older than 1st August '98 or is a commercial model registered before 29th October '12, you can legally use a 2 inch receiver, Southdown towbar/tank guard, NATO hitch or anything else. Otherwise, you're restricted to Type Approved equipment.

I'm not sure of the exact date but some time in September 2010 all Defenders became N1/commercial class, which means that any station wagons registered after then but before 29th October '12 will also fall into that group. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #731536 27th Sep 2018 5:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>