↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear cross member painting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Djcla

United Kingdom 
Rear cross member painting
In process of tidying up my cross member.. Whats the recommendation on paint? Ive removed step and flaps but not the towbar as im not 100 % on how it comes off and ecpectd it will be a pig as well. Anyway paint by brush or spray , prime or just paint etc
Post #659258 23rd Oct 2017 9:59pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Depending on exactly what tow bar you have then two bolts for chassis stays to undo.

4 bolts into rivnuts in rear cross member.

Three (?) bolts into underside of rear cross member.

Straight forward except LR uses a mixture of spanner sizes.

Brendan
Post #659267 23rd Oct 2017 10:18pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Have a look at Buzzweld RCP primer with CIO topcoat, it's what I've got to use when I finally get round to it! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #659275 23rd Oct 2017 10:47pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
leeds wrote:
Depending on exactly what tow bar you have then two bolts for chassis stays to undo.

4 bolts into rivnuts in rear cross member.

Three (?) bolts into underside of rear cross member.

Straight forward except LR uses a mixture of spanner sizes.

Brendan

Nothing is straight forward on my Defender lol as at a guess they will have siezed like everything else ive had to grind off.

It's a height adjustable towbar with arms in a triangular shape going back to the chassis.
Post #659296 24th Oct 2017 8:12am
Djcla

United Kingdom 
JOW240725 wrote:
Have a look at Buzzweld RCP primer with CIO topcoat, it's what I've got to use when I finally get round to it!

Looks good stuff and spray tin available too , just wondering if get away with 1 tin. I had read somewhere last night recommending brush on rustoleum stuff which apparently doesn't leave brush marks but I find that hard to believe.
Post #659299 24th Oct 2017 8:27am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Now on my PC I can post the RCP and CIO library photos below. You can get both in paint or spray. Spray will give a much better finish. I painted RCP in a trailer and it is quite thick. Buzzweld do a specific cross member kit. Speak to Craig at Buzzweld, he is very helpful.

Before

RCP

CIO

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #659312 24th Oct 2017 9:11am
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
I fully removed the tow hitch assembly, rubbed down using a scotch brite pad, degreased the area using Bilthambers surfex HD. Masked everything up then used POR 15 chassis top coat in aerosol with another coat after the first had dried overnight.

I don't have a finished picture to hand as the end results was only filmed. it looks really good and after being treated to ACF 50 it looks amazing.
Post #659317 24th Oct 2017 9:45am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I had a bit of surface rust starting to form on mine. Took the towbar off (the height adjustable Dixon Bate, you need 19mm and then either 24 or 27 spanners, I can't remember the larger size), wire brushed it by hand, rust converting primer then a few coats of black stonechip and a few days later some underseal.

Looks as good as new.
Post #659319 24th Oct 2017 9:52am
Djcla

United Kingdom 
that's certainly tempting @JOW240725 or else i just go cheaper and see what happens as its never going to look like new as its a little too far gone in the corners and i dont want to sand the layers down to much Sad Ive used some fertan on the worst bits and its looking a lot better.
Post #659325 24th Oct 2017 10:13am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Djcla

I've done mine twice now in 4 years. Initially to deal with the surface rusts (all be it fine) that typically starts to appear in the first few years of a Defenders Life due to the inadequate way LR painted the Chassis (Rear Cross Member)...IMO

I would guess that the Mud Flap Brackets will be well on their way to looking tired also... Shocked

I repainted each of the items separately on mine, Cross Member, Nas Rear Step, Dixon Bate Towing Plate + some custom metalwork.

Just the act of bolting all this back together does introduce 'weak points' in the protective finish, as the Painted Surface is broken where each bolt is tightened, allowing...in time...for corrosion and the deterioration of the end result to probably 'start again' from these 'contact points'

Second Refinishing was with all parts in place.

I converted the Rust that was there, etched Primed generally (but mainly the SS Bolts) Primed and then used a Good Quality Satin Top Coat (all from my local Automotive Paint Supplier)

Because this is Satin Black, it is possible to use a few cans from Halfords and get a good enough result, Acid 8 if you want to etch anything...golden rule as ever... preparation

Convert Rust (FE123 or something else good)

Click image to enlarge

Etch

Click image to enlarge

Prime

Click image to enlarge

In Situ Parts

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #659327 24th Oct 2017 10:26am
Djcla

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

This is my tow bar , so is it best to remove because if any of the bolts go into rivnuts I'm reluctant to as I'm sure they will break Sad and be larger than m8.
Post #659342 24th Oct 2017 11:28am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
If you are worried then I would remove the tow ball and paint the rest in situ. As Skip says, Halfords satin black in spray cans is a good match. I used it on my mud flaps over acid etch primer with a good result.
Post #659347 24th Oct 2017 11:50am
Djcla

United Kingdom 
thanks i am worried only because my mudflaps and step ( both rusted through) were a tw** to get off..

So what is acid etch primer then compared to any old primer?
Post #659348 24th Oct 2017 11:54am
Cactus79

United Kingdom 
Did mine the other week with RCP and CIO.

Click image to enlarge
Post #659350 24th Oct 2017 11:58am
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Djcla The captive nuts are bigger than M8 barring the three on the underside of the L strengthener facing upwards.

IMHO a good paint job is going to take more than 5 minutes and removing all the bits makes the task easier as you can get to all faces, as well as painting the tow hitch assembly separately.

Have a good appraisal of the crossmember as these things do rust inside working out and regardless of what paint you use it will blow through with rust any way. If it is in a state where the captives will pull out when undoing the bolts then isn't in a state to be used thoroughly as a towing device. It is hard to tell from pictures the true state of your crossmember but I'd cost up your time and effort in trying to prolong the inevitable versus stopping it.
The design means there is seams and box sections and these trap water well so hence they rust with freedom, minor stuff is fine to treat and cure but if seams have started to split on the facing edge and internal flaking is present you can slow the decline but it is something that is going to need replacing in the future.
Post #659355 24th Oct 2017 12:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>