↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > poisoned spy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
poisoned spy
not sure if this is going to be deemed PC or not?

but whats the consensus on this.
foolishly perhaps but I'm convinced it was Russia ?
to my mind the fact that it can't be identified where the poison was produced simply confirms they have an secret production site?

part of me thinks this all a little insignificant. there's been numerous people murdered in London since but then this was using a Nerve Agent?

what do you all think?

oh also do you recall that guy in Moscow who had the dye thrown in his face - apparently that was some poisonous / toxic chemical Sad .

it clearly does pay to upset the big P of Russia?
Post #698434 4th Apr 2018 9:16am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Russia has a history of this type of behaviour, and it is established that during upheavals around the breakup of the USSR both nuclear material and banned chemical weapons material was mislaid.

I think that there is no doubt that the material was or Russian origin and little doubt that it was carried out at the behest of Russia, though possibly not state sponsored.

It is hard to see a motive other than sending a message that you are never safe if you've spied against the Russians, and that only benefits one source.

No doubt there are conspiracy theorists who'd have you believe it was the Brits doing it to frame the Russians.
Post #698439 4th Apr 2018 9:32am
Caterham

makes you wonder just how much of this sort of thing goes on without it hitting the headlines ?
Post #698442 4th Apr 2018 9:37am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
My 1st Non Defender Post (I think)...long flight with time to 'kill'

1 We don't know and never will with 100% certainty.

2 If you believe that the novichok Nerve Agent was only ever produced by Russia, (as claimed)
and that it was defiantly used (which both look to be the case, but we will never know, 100%)
then Russia was either directly responsible, or supplied it to others, or lost some, that somehow
found its way to others, (I can't think of any other options).

3 Personally I have become increasing less trustful of all politicians. The Hutton Inquiry which made an attempt
to establish the 'quality of information' on which we went to war with Iraq, looking at the death of David Kelly,
a biological warfare expert and former UN weapons inspector in Iraq, who was named as the source that claimed the
WMD status had been 'over stated' / 'sexed up'. Subsequently the WMD / Intelligence Services findings have been shown (in all probability) to be wrong, or highly questionably, even if politicians wanted to have a basis on which to go to war, it looks like the Intelligence Services should have both resisted pressure and reached different conclusions.

We like to believe that 'we get these things right' and others don't, there are probably a few individuals that know most of what there is to know in this case, but for most of us we just wont ever be in that position of actually knowing.

It doesn't look good for Russia, but the game of perception is really what's going on here. SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #698459 4th Apr 2018 10:37am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Re: poisoned spy
Caterham wrote:
...but I'm convinced it was Russia ? what do you all think?

Think a few things. That you start another provocative political thread here which usually does not turn out into something very good, and that your “convinced “ is just based on thin air.

Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #698476 4th Apr 2018 12:40pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Same as the UK government's position Thumbs Up
Post #698479 4th Apr 2018 1:01pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Caterham wrote:

foolishly perhaps but I'm convinced it was Russia ?

Well, I think it's too obvious, and ... Why now?

Surely if Russia (or anyone) wanted to kill someone, you would make an attempt to "cover your tracks"?

Really, it's like being seen arguing on CCTV, and then leaving a knife with your initials on buried in your enemy's back. Morse/Lewis/Rebus/Vera would all say "that's too convenient...it must be a setup".

Until we know more, it seems we've found Russia guilty until proven innocent.

I just think it's too obvious. Someone else has something to gain by creating this scenario, maybe? I am sure that if I was sent to kill someone I would at least cover my tracks and construct an "accident" or something. And why now? What's the imminent motive to the attack?

Maybe the killers of David Kelly could help Confused https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kelly_(weapons_expert)

Anyway... I still think we haven't been told enough to convict the Russians, even if they are the culprits... they have been made guilty until proven innocent and I don't like that... (of course there could be more evidence than we are being told just now)... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #698485 4th Apr 2018 1:31pm
Caterham

I do wonder however fi this could easily have gone under the radar.

Had they gone for a longer drive for example they could have been involved in a RTA, or perhaps if they'd stayed at home and a police officer hadn't been infected could they both have died and cause left as un explained?
Post #698510 4th Apr 2018 2:56pm
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Just look at the Litvinenko case for Russia’s track record, the British Police still want Andrey Lugovoy extradited (a Russian Politician) to face charges for murder. If the Russians wanted these people dead they could have done it without creating any suspicion, but no they prefer to send a clear message by using Polonium and Novichok that if you betray the state then the state will get you.
Post #698528 4th Apr 2018 4:06pm
Lateralus

United States 
Former president Obama told Americans that Russia was no longer a threat as early as 2012 and right before the 2016 election. Obama even scrapped a Bush era missile defense system that was to be built in eastern Europe and it was appreciated by Putin. Secretary of state Hillary Clinton issued a russian reset button to Sergei Lavrov in 2009 to memorialize the historic moment of US and Russia coordination.

So two of the "best and brightest" politicians, probably in the WORLD, did not think Russia was much of a threat and so who would question that?

Russia is hosting the 2018 world cup correct? Would Putin jeoprodize that to kill a spy using a toxin known to be used by Russians?

Yea, I don't put much faith in politicians. The Bush administration said Saddam had wmd's, he violated UN inspections habitually and we invaded Iraq. Democrats and the media hounded Bush for years over the Iraq war. It was the single greatest mistake in US history according to them and then in 2016, they nominate a woman who voted for that war. These people will say and do anything for power. They will put our soldiers lives at risk for the sake of politics. They work in coordination with their media friends to pressure elected representatives including the president.

Iam not saying Russia didn't do it but I trust very little the older I get and I believe "the swamp" extends to many western countrys, not just the United States. Our interests are not their interests.
Post #698563 4th Apr 2018 5:53pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Nerve agents are supposed to be highly leathal. The ones developed during/after WW2 were, a tiny amount can kill within minutes with virtually no hope of survival.
Yet none of the 3 people contaminated in Salisbury have died (thankfully, so far). That's what I find strange about this case.

As said above, I don't think we'll ever find out who did it for certain.
But I wouldn't trust anyone connected to the Russian state.
Post #698585 4th Apr 2018 6:37pm
Projectblue

England 
Caterham wrote:

to my mind the fact that it can't be identified where the poison was produced simply confirms they have an secret production site?

Latest speculation I have seen today says you might have been bang on with this theory.

I'm not convinced about it being a military grade nerve toxin. The daughter is reported as saying she is feeling much better. Also one observation is that in the current climate, when you can't get a copper to come to your house in person for a shed burglary, they got a home visit from a Detective Sergeant. Whistle New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #698857 6th Apr 2018 12:32am
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Very strange business. Given the track record of the Russians with the Litvinenko affair they are the obvious suspects given the fact that their laws specifically authorise assassination of enemy’s of the state in foreign countries! It also serves to warn potential double agents that they can never relax and will be dealt with, in these cases they will want everyone to know they did it but at the same time publicly denying it. They do lie constantly, remember the Crimea, “we have no troops there” (or in the Ukraine), bombing Syrian Hospitals, shooting down the Indonesian passenger jet over the Ukraine etc it just serves to muddy the waters.

But some of the circumstances surrounding the poisoning are weird, as DSC-off says for a weaponised nerve agent it doesn’t seem very efficacious. Also, how was it diagnosed so quickly? Surely they should have been dead before that happened? Then the the police response, as Projectblue remarks, the level of Police response seemed very heavy for what might have appeared, initially, to be a simple case of food poisoning or drug abuse.

Perhaps the authorities / security services had some intelligence that a hit was likely or given who the initial victim was there is a team on standby to react to any threat to these double agents? Or maybe the Russian secret service just aren’t as efficient as they are feared to be.

I don’t suppose we’ll ever know all the ins and outs but interesting to speculate. Given the current evidence my jury vote would be Putin/Russia guilty. 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #698883 6th Apr 2018 8:58am
NoDo$h

England 
Projectblue wrote:
Caterham wrote:

Latest speculation I have seen today says you might have been bang on with this theory.

I'm not convinced about it being a military grade nerve toxin. The daughter is reported as saying she is feeling much better. Also one observation is that in the current climate, when you can't get a copper to come to your house in person for a shed burglary, they got a home visit from a Detective Sergeant. Whistle

You've worked closely enough with them to know that people have markers against their addresses etc. for a variety of reasons. No details, just a coloured marker for the call handler to see that it needs to be triaged down a particular route, which is then picked up by local procedures within the assigned nick.

For example, if you report a break-in at your place and there's a marker for firearms/shotgun license, you are going to get put to the top of the list pretty bloody quickly. 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #698892 6th Apr 2018 9:41am
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Read this today and found it interesting: https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/20...-knockers/
Post #698914 6th Apr 2018 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>