Home > Puma (Tdci) > CLUTCH STUCK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
scottchad01

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
CLUTCH STUCK
Hi guys,

few hours back now i was driving and the clutch all of a sudden felt really light with a really low biting point, i carried on for less than a mile and the clutch completely stuck down to the floor. i can lift it back up with the top of my foot and it springs into the normal place yet when i press it again it springs back down the floor but you cannot put into gear. i have since been towed back to the house and checked the levels as i have read this could be the problem. the clutch fluid was almost non existent (my bad) but i have since topped them up but no luck. i was also thinking because the clutch isnt working when the pedal is down have i snapped some sort of cable?

also, probably non-related but in the same mile of driving, the wipers will not turn off once turned on and will only turn off when the engine is off, but when switched back on the only way would be to turn off the engine again.

anybody know what this could be and what needs doing?

thanks in advance

Scott
Post #698359 3rd Apr 2018 10:16pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
pretty confident the issues aren't related.

had both issues myself but not at the same time.

windscreen wipers will be a failed park module mounted on the motor (I was told it had a replaced motor but suspect it was just the park module). I believe this can be replaced without having to completely replace the dash. A search on here for failed windscreen park switch should reveal more.

the clutch as you've already suggested will be clutch fluid related. be it a failed slave cylinder, leak or master cylinder. adding the fluid alone might not be the answer. have you checked to see if there's any sign of fluid coming out of the bottom of the bell housing? you might get away with adding fluid and bleeding as a temporary solution but sounds like you may end up taking gearbox out worse case to resolve / replace slave cylinder - good luck and please let us know how you get on. Thumbs Up
Post #698364 3rd Apr 2018 10:23pm
scottchad01

thanks for your suggestions caterham

i have checked in the footwell for fluid but its dry. any idea of the cost of replacing those components? im no good with a spanner so will be going to the garage.

scott
Post #698367 3rd Apr 2018 10:26pm
Caterham

hi mate. master cylinder is above cluch pedal.
the slave cylinder is in the bell housing (the casting between the gearbox and the engine) so if that's leaking the evidence will be under the defender (not the footwell).

unfortunately I'm not sure on costs. if it's a case of having to replace the slave cylinder within the bell housing ie having to split / remove the gearbox I'd suggest somewhere between £500 - 1000.

the park switch / module is probably £30 but getting to it could be a few hours of labour. This is something that I would suggest is easy enough to do if you have time on your side. I don't believe there's anything too tricky involved.

I'm sure others will be along soon to provide more detail.

Last edited by Caterham on 4th Apr 2018 8:47am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #698371 3rd Apr 2018 10:31pm
scottchad01

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

not the price i was looking for but hopefully it wont come down to that.

thanks for the hep, i will update tomorrow when i know whats going on

scott
Post #698374 3rd Apr 2018 10:37pm
scottchad01

**update**

checked the fluid level and doesn't seem to have gone down from when i eft it maybe 3 hours ago, dont know if this is a good or a bad thing??
Post #698403 4th Apr 2018 12:13am
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
You may be lucky! When we collected my son’s 90 the clutch was a bit iffy and during the journey home, about 200 miles, it got steadily worse with the disengage/biting point right on the floor. When we got home I checked the clutch fluid level, the reservoir was almost empty so topped it off, bled the clutch and, touch wood, it’s been ok for the past 3 years, no top ups required. I suspect that there was an iffy seal which sorted itself when the reservoir was full, I’ve no idea where it was leaking from, I suspect the slave cylinder but as it’s an old 300tdi a bit wet down there Whistle

I’ve also had the wiper system out of my Puma and, as others have said, it’s not too difficult to access the park switch, there are quite a few threads on here, just be prepared for skinned knuckles 👍 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #698424 4th Apr 2018 8:40am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
It will usually only leak when being used so no drop in level is not necessarily a sign that all is okay.

My bet would be failed slave cylinder or another hydraulic problem somewhere. Look underneath the vehicle for signs of a fluid leak from the bellhousing drain hole (remove the plug if fitted).

Land Rover in their infinite 'wisdom' put one of those concentric slave cylinders on the Tdci models, which means the gearbox (and therefore transfer box, propshafts, exhaust, floor panels etc. etc.) has to come off to change it. Previous models had external slave cylinders which could be changed quite easily, though some of them had lever arms inside that liked to fail instead.

If there's no evidence of a fluid leak, and all the pipework (including the flexible hose) is okay then the box will need to come out regardless to see what the problem is.
Post #698431 4th Apr 2018 9:01am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Could be air in the lines now.

Try to bleed it, Google something like 'puma defender clutch bleed' or similar.

If that fixes it you gotta wonder next what made it run low in the first place... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #698443 4th Apr 2018 9:42am
Darrens110

United Kingdom 
Did you bleed it after topping up the fluid?
Post #698454 4th Apr 2018 10:18am
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i suspect its a failed slave cylinder. gearbox out job to fix.

dont buy the cheap ones as you will be back in the box within 6 mths

check the splines while your in there on the gearbox, maybe fit the ashcroft upgrade kit at same time

and chuck in a clutch while your there plus gearbox oil as its easy while its done.
Post #698635 4th Apr 2018 8:51pm
scottchad01

thanks for the help guys

turns out it is the slave cylinder Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

will update you with whats going on tomorrow
Post #698847 5th Apr 2018 11:28pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
All advice above re. output shaft splines (checking them, greasing them, possible upgrade to Ashcroft kit if worn) and clutch (check how worn, check spring springiness) is spot on.

Do it now and save the £££ for what could happen not too far down the road.

Clutch and slave may as well be thought of as service items, the output shaft spline issue by all accounts doesn't seem to affect everyone though, make sure your mechanic shows some awareness of the potential for issues with it. If they don't you have to wonder how experienced they are with pumas. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #698859 6th Apr 2018 1:00am
Caterham

/\ +1 Thumbs Up
good luck. I hope the costs remain reasonable.
Post #698870 6th Apr 2018 7:10am
fbaird03

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Unfortunately I've been struggling by with the same issue for a few months now (07 Plate 100k miles, started off noticing it on the motorway so maybe heat related, seems to be worse now and clutch always sticks to the floor, no resistance at all when car is warmed up.

First thing I tried was new master cyclinder and clutch bleed but still have the same issue.

Just bought a new Clutchfix HD1 Uprated kit as I could hear clutch rattle on start up, kit comes with updated slave cyclinder/ release bearing, adapters from TMD.
There was also quite a loud vibration going through the car when low down the revs so thought maybe wise to change out the fixed flywheel at the same time.
Also bought the Ashcroft modified gearbox output shaft kit to fit when it is all out. (new gearbox outer seal and transfer box inner seal)
Booked in for next week so hopefully that resolves all the issues for another 100k miles...Not a good start to defender ownership.
Post #699003 6th Apr 2018 6:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>