↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Britpart Aluminium Ladder - DA3073
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
leeds wrote:
I am sure that Paul at Hogarth Engineering has been making the Patriot ladders for long enough to know that they are legal.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a completely meaningless statement.

I've shown you an actual MOT statement that shows an MOT failure.

Didn't you used to be a scientist? Isn't the MOT refusal empirical evidence.

leeds wrote:
Conclusion?

Either not the correct Patriot or other make of ladder, something else obstructing the number plate or a MOT tester who does not know the regulations! Take your pick.

Whilst it appears to be a really inconvenient truth to someone with a commercial interest in selling it, the MOT statement above refers to a genuine Patriot ladder of the type you link to on your earlier post; and the tester was not wrong.

Not my vehicle but you can see what the issue is...

I believe discomog has hit the nail on the head, ANPR cameras and instructions to mot testers to be more rigorous in applying the rules.

If this is your response to a customer that buys said item from you and suffers a similar fate, then it speaks volumes for your level of customer service. Buyer beware of dealing with suppliers who think the above is a suitable response.

Last edited by Supacat on 23rd Mar 2018 8:13am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #695470 22nd Mar 2018 7:39pm
Supacat

Laurie wrote:
Cannot the numberplate be moved to the other side?

No - it's fitted on a double cab and the other side has a straight legged ladder so would actually be even worse. Both ladders are needed to carry the weight back to the rear crossmember.
Post #695471 22nd Mar 2018 7:42pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We have personally had a 110 fitted with Patriot roofrack and ladder fitted go through the MOT without comment from the tester.

Many other people have their vehicles fitted with Patriot racks and ladders go through the MOT without issue.

Now I can think of other companies who make and sell this type of ladder without issue.

Now talking about evidence that MOT certificate shows failure due to obstruction of the rear number plate. There is no evidence that a Patriot ladder is involved!

Now the section of the MOT testers manual is section 6.3 and possible reason for rejection include

Quote:

faded, dirty, delaminated, deteriorated or obscured, (for example by a towbar) so that it is likely to be misread or is not easily legible by a person standing approximately 20 metres to the front/rear of the vehicle.

That is down to interpretation by the tester and down to the MOT tester eyesight/judgement.

Now if people would like to contact the manufacturers I suggest they email them at sales@patriotproducts.co.uk.

Brendan
Post #695475 22nd Mar 2018 7:59pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Supacat wrote:
What if I told you that would get you an MOT fail:

More proof...
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic60543.html SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #695482 22nd Mar 2018 8:19pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
See this from 90roy posted today:-

home/tdi

Brake fluid warning light - MOT failure

Hi,
Hoping you guys can help. The truck failed on 2 things
1. Rear ladder obscuring the number plate (it's been on there 4 years and they only just mention it now.... Wtf? - anyway sorted as I removed the ladder... Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #695494 22nd Mar 2018 8:49pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
So, given this new found fervour amongst MOT inspectors across the country, is something like the Frontrunner offering the only acceptable approach? The top half of that is ok, apart from the need to drill holes, but the bottom step is a bit rubbish. Perhaps somebody will come up with a folding version based on the top part of the FR design Rolling Eyes Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #695500 22nd Mar 2018 9:01pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Good old Brownchurch have a ladder that bends round the sides of the number plate. I purchased mine with the rack, but I think it can be bought separately. Not sure how much they are, but it holds my hefty weight so I can vouch for its strength.
Post #695505 22nd Mar 2018 9:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

Do you mean this one?

The problem is it's now difficult to know which of these types are likely to upset some random MOT tester Confused Plus that one requires the body to be drilled. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #695511 22nd Mar 2018 9:53pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
If it obscures the number plate in anyway then it's a possibilty it'll fail, If you go for one that doesn't obscure the number plate, then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Simples Thumbs Up
Post #695521 22nd Mar 2018 10:18pm
LandRoverAnorak

Except that the choice appears to be very limited and I'm not keen on the one suggested so far, so not that simples. Darren

Post #695526 22nd Mar 2018 10:27pm
L110CDL

England 
^^^ What about getting one made to your spec's, just a thought Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #695538 22nd Mar 2018 10:54pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
That’s very similar to mine, except mines doesn’t bolt through the roof - it bolts to the lugs on the back of the Brownchurch rack. If nothing available suits, could you not buy the one that ticks most boxes and have it altered by a blacksmith? I can’t see it being too difficult if like mine it’s simple galvanised steel?
Post #695543 22nd Mar 2018 11:00pm
Supacat

X4SKP wrote:
Supacat wrote:
What if I told you that would get you an MOT fail:

More proof...
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic60543.html

Except this vendor wouldn't recognise proof if it bit him on the backside.

It seems the first casualties of having a commercial interest are common sense and truth.
Post #695580 23rd Mar 2018 7:29am
Supacat

leeds wrote:
We have personally had a 110 fitted with Patriot roofrack and ladder fitted go through the MOT without comment from the tester.

Many other people have their vehicles fitted with Patriot racks and ladders go through the MOT without issue

So as long as you can continue to make a profit, you are happy for your customers to play russian roulette with having a road legal vehicle?

Should it not be the case that ALL vehicles with Patriot racks and ladders go through the MOT without issue?

If any fail then there is an issue. I'd ask everyone to look at this photo again and ask themselves the question is the number plate obstructed?

leeds wrote:
Now talking about evidence that MOT certificate shows failure due to obstruction of the rear number plate. There is no evidence that a Patriot ladder is involved!

Put your money where your mouth is.

If the above MOT failure I have posted was down to any other reason than the fitting of a Patriot ladder I will give £250 to a charity of your choice. Equally, if this is not the case you give £250 to a charity of my choice.

I did not blank out the name of where the MOT was conducted - indeed it was a LR main dealer not far from you. Ring them up and ask, or if they won't give details to you, I'm happy to meet you there in person and get you the answer. If the latter, I will expect an apology as well as the £250 for my charity.

You are big on the weasel words so lets just get this done Evil or Very Mad

leeds wrote:
Now if people would like to contact the manufacturers I suggest they email them at sales@patriotproducts.co.uk.

So now you are looking to hide behind the skirt of the manufacturer?

Maybe that isn't surprising given your apparent ignorance of the law on such matters and how they apply to the products you sell:
leeds wrote:
They all appear to go around the number plate so I am guessing that is a legal requirement

What are your legal responsibilities as the seller? Or are those laws, like other laws inconvenient to your commercial interests, apparently superceded as well?
Post #695587 23rd Mar 2018 8:08am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I can't say I'm happy with the tone of this conversation and the use of the public forum to carry it out.

Can I suggest it's taken into a private channel rather than dragging it all out in public in an increasingly bitter manner?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #695588 23rd Mar 2018 8:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>