↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4TDCi low on power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
landy-men

Belgium 
2.4TDCi low on power
Hi my 2007 Defender Tdci ran quite bad when cold. Revs went up and down and sometimes stalled and sometimes trottle didn't respond. When warm this was better. Otherwise it drove okay. It pulled well, although maybe a bit loud from injectors and high fuel consumption. After replacing fuel filter I read on this forum it could be VCV valve. So I ordered this and replaced it. While replacing I had the air inlet pipe lose, cleaned out some dirt from the EGR. I also cleaned the MAP sensor with brake cleaner as this looked quite dirty.

I drove it a short distance but it seemed slower now. The day afterwards we did recalibrating the fuel pump. He noticed fuel rail pressure was a bit low (injector?) and it said P0404 EGR open. But when switching off you can hear the EGR actuator. After the calibrating was done I took it home. Run much quitter now, less diesel injector noise and regular tick over. But when I now drive motorway it has much less power than before. It struggles with 6th gear. I changed the MAP sensor as I thought I damaged it with cleaning. But this doesn’t change anything.

Can there be that much difference by changing the CVC and recalibration? Or will this be caused by low fuel pressure or EGR open. But then I don’t understand why it pulled so wel before changing the VCV?

Regards
Post #686687 15th Feb 2018 7:56am
hornet

There is no guarantee for proper function/closing when you hear EGR working. Start with a neu EGR!

If not better:
The only things you touched were the two sensors and the VCV. If I were you, I would change them again part by part and check result after each part afterwards. No guarantee that a new part akready has a fault or that you damaged something when cleaning. And they are quite cheap. Good luck!
Post #686946 16th Feb 2018 1:24pm
schuee

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Hi Landy-Men

Had exactly same symptons as you mate, no DTC's logged and only from reading through DEF2 posts I decided to have the VCV replaced and a pilot learn carried out, having this done resolved my problem Very Happy

See below;

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30222.html

Cheers

Keith MY2011 110 XS USW
Post #686949 16th Feb 2018 1:45pm
landy-men

Belgium 
Hi Keith

As I said I had the VCV replaced and that solves the issue of bad running. But since then it is lower on power. Wondered if that was caused by changing the VCV?

Regards
Post #688945 26th Feb 2018 7:48am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Do you have a OBD diagnostic tool that can probe the EGR position?

In my experience if it doesn't close properly you'll really feel it.

Even if you hear the chakka chakka, it doesn't necessarily mean it's closing fully... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #688953 26th Feb 2018 8:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1