↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Turbo Heat Sheild
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Turbo Heat Sheild
During my on going quest to find the vibrations in my Defender, I found two heat shields very lose and rattling against the turbo.

For process of elimination, I have removed both, and to my amazement I noticed a huge difference right away.

The first in question is the main turbo heat shield = it had 3 bolts into the manifold which were secure but it was simply flapping around and not secure. Is it safe to leave this heat shield off or do I need to find a way to re-instate it securely?

The 2nd is a much smaller heat shield just below and rear ward toward the bulkhead - it has a metal clip to hold it on to whatever it should have been attached to. This was also flapping about "in the wind". It looks like maybe it should have been covering a sensor or connector of some sort; again, is this vital and should it be replaced, or is it ok to leave off longer term?

Advice would be greatly appreciated - especially if anyone knows a good way to actually secure these things without them flapping about and causing unwanted and worrying noises!

thanks Bow down
Mark My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #688986 26th Feb 2018 1:54pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The small one is a heat shield for the crankshaft position sensor, and as far as I am aware my 2007 Defender has never had one, it's certainly been missing for over 200,000 miles. I suggest therefore that it probably isn't essential.

There are people who run without the main turbo heat shield but I am not one of them, mine is still fitted. I think it does help to keep the temperature in the area down a bit (although a decat helps even more) and I see no reason to remove it. (The steering shaft is susceptible to failure if the rubber parts are overheated, the reason why the Puma shaft has a heat shield which the otherwise-identical TD5 shaft lacks). My turbo heat shield also rattled and is now held with a selection of exceptionally large mudguard washers. The bracket on the manifold it attaches to is another common source of rattles since the threads in the hole at the bulkhead end of the manifold tend to fail, and the bracket then rattles.

Overall it is not a good design.
Post #688989 26th Feb 2018 2:06pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i havent got a turbo heatshield on either of mine, 80k on both. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #688997 26th Feb 2018 2:38pm
meeerrrk

blackwolf wrote:
The small one is a heat shield for the crankshaft position sensor, and as far as I am aware my 2007 Defender has never had one, it's certainly been missing for over 200,000 miles. I suggest therefore that it probably isn't essential.

There are people who run without the main turbo heat shield but I am not one of them, mine is still fitted. I think it does help to keep the temperature in the area down a bit (although a decat helps even more) and I see no reason to remove it. (The steering shaft is susceptible to failure if the rubber parts are overheated, the reason why the Puma shaft has a heat shield which the otherwise-identical TD5 shaft lacks). My turbo heat shield also rattled and is now held with a selection of exceptionally large mudguard washers. The bracket on the manifold it attaches to is another common source of rattles since the threads in the hole at the bulkhead end of the manifold tend to fail, and the bracket then rattles.

Overall it is not a good design.

Thank you Blackwolf, that is very useful information, much appreciated Thumbs Up My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #689000 26th Feb 2018 2:50pm
meeerrrk

jst wrote:
i havent got a turbo heatshield on either of mine, 80k on both.

Good news, i'll see how it goes then. At least I know I don't have to rush to refit it. My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #689001 26th Feb 2018 2:50pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
penny washers and stainless cable ties usually secure them nicely.

Bear in mind cars are designed for use in climates much hotter than in the UK, where such shields are possibly essential. In colder climates you can probably get away without them.
Post #689059 26th Feb 2018 7:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1