Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
What to do ??
Hello All
Bit of a conundrum, for us anyway.
We have been offered a new Scangauge 11 by someone who equally does not know what it does. Her late husband bought it for his L.R.2.2 Puma, since gone, and it is still in the box unopened.
I do not know what this does and although I have found them for sale at around £140, the explanations are obviously aimed at buyers who know what it does. Should I accept this or play safe and leave it
Any help much appreciated.
Regards (the completely at sea) Swine and Small 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #677441 10th Jan 2018 3:49pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
It’s a digital guage that you plug into the diagnostic port of your modern Land Rover.

In addition to your speedo and trip, you know get things like battery voltage, rpm, boost pressure, water temp etc. etc.

If you don’t have a diagnostic port it’s of no use to you, and equally if you see no value in the additional in the extra values then it’s of no use to you.

Lots of people like access to the extra info.

cheers, Steve
Post #677450 10th Jan 2018 4:50pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Thanks Steve, There is a diagnostic port on Small's 2015 90', I assume that you just plug in and it goes.
Is this something that you plug in occasionally or when something goes wrong. I have not opened the sealed carton it is in as I want to be able to give it back in the same condition if it is not for us.
There are a few threads on this, but they all assume a greater knowledge than mine Confused 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #677455 10th Jan 2018 5:03pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Any more information please.Should I accept this, will it be useful and how is it powered?
Thanks 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #677822 12th Jan 2018 12:45am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
It's something you can leave permanently plugged in to give you instant mpg or any other live parameter from the engine. It takes it's power directly from the OBD socket Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #677825 12th Jan 2018 12:52am
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Thank you very much. It sounds like something that we should accept with thanks as it may well be useful and informative.
Appreciate your time
Regards
Swine 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #677826 12th Jan 2018 12:58am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Yes definately a worth while tool. You can keep an eye on all sorts. Much more accurate than the standard coolant temperature gauge for example Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #677827 12th Jan 2018 1:06am
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I'm not sure how anyone can really advise. You can see what it does - it measures various additional stats on a running car via Diag port. Do you want to be able to monitor these all the time? Do you like the look of the unit and where it mounts? You can decide if that's useful to you or not?
Post #677847 12th Jan 2018 10:20am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Swine&Small

I have had one for around 3 years now, 'triggered' by the Engine Light appearance
and wanting to be able to read the Fault Code, assess then what to do next and also
to have the ability to clear / reset the Puma, and switch off the Engine Light / malfunction
indicator lamp (MIL).

The Scangauge II (in every day use) will monitor most basic engine parameters, also some
which you never really knew where there (or had a sensor checking them) but general
Trip functions / MPG, averages MPH etc are useful to get a general idea of how your driving.

It is sold with the claim that by seeing these parameters drivers adapt their style of driving and see
improved Fuel consumption figures as a result, I'm not so sure about this, if your heavy footed and a
late breaker, these characteristics will need to be 'unlearned' to make any significant improvement.

Mine has performed faultlessly, I would recommend having a device of this type, for Defenders with an
ODBII Port / Engine Management System it's worth knowing that you can have the first look see to get
an idea of what might be the issue if a warning light appears.

Most of what you need to know is here...
https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

This was my first appearance of P1103 (Mass Air Flow Sensor In Range But Higher Than Expected)
removed cleaned and replaced sorted this fault, had it twice in 4 years.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) Ford Land Rover List (all 97 Pages!) for the Puma
(Revison Date 17th October 2007) if you get a Scangauge II (or another type) and want this List
send me a PM...Google more offten than not, also will give you the diagnosis when you know the Code

Good Luck... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #677850 12th Jan 2018 11:13am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Definitely worth while for your 2015 90".

As @X4SKP says, it remains in place permanently. I have a diagnostic device that does the same thing but you only plug it in when there's a fault (to see what's going on and to clear fault codes). Arguably less useful.

One thought (based on previous designs):

@X4SKP - did you have to modify the OBD port cover to leave the device permanently attached? I recall that early versions required cutting a flap out of the plastic cover to allow the OBD connector to protrude. That would be the case for my Nanocom device but I wondered whether they've solved it for the Scanguage. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #677865 12th Jan 2018 12:13pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
buy the torque app for £3 and a Bluetooth obdii sender for £10 and you can have as many gauges as you like on your phone / tablet screen fed from the ecu (same as scanguage),

heres an example screenshot

Click image to enlarge

Post #677867 12th Jan 2018 12:22pm
X4SKP

alantd wrote:
@X4SKP - did you have to modify the OBD port cover to leave the device permanently attached? I recall that early versions required cutting a flap out of the plastic cover to allow the OBD connector to protrude. That would be the case for my Nanocom device but I wondered whether they've solved it for the Scanguage.

Hello alantd

For me I decided to cut the door, they may have solved this now but I don't know, I also decided not to carry out surgery on the Scangauge II by fitting a shallow ODBII Plug (which looks like it may just fit behind the Puma door) I also didn't want to reposition the OBDII port (arguably a good security measure ... I have not shown it here but I have a security layer which blocks access to the Fuse Box area so currently I'm happy enough).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

By luck, I picked up a replacement Fuse Box Cover, from a Puma that had been written off, and was being stripped for spares 105 miles on the clock... Thud SKIP
Post #677871 12th Jan 2018 12:54pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Thanks to all of you. It seems very worthwhile, especially as it is a gift, and at the very least will be interesting to have the information. If I cut out a suitable portion of the fuse box cover, then this can be dash mounted on a permanent basis.
What do you all use, a sticky pad or suction cup. Thanks for the pictures Skip,I now have an idea what to do and for the offer of the list which I will probably take you up on Thumbs Up
Regards Swine 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #677875 12th Jan 2018 1:11pm
X4SKP

Hello Swine&Small

I used a strip of 'Velcro' well its actually a 3M Strip of Tape used in industrial application with VHB adhesive on the 'Velcro'
these strips (well similar) are readily available in most DIY stores and as the SGII is so light, these will work fine, having it detachable (when needed) is a good thing (I have been in and out of my dashboard recently until finally solving my intermittent starting problem...by swapping out the Ignition switch...I'm so happy about that Very Happy )

You can just see the Velcro Tape here...

Click image to enlarge

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you the PDF of the DTC... Thumbs Up SKIP
Post #677881 12th Jan 2018 1:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1