Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
benspray

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Chawton White
Panhard Tdci vs 300tdi
Hi all

Hopefully this is the right section.

I'm rebuilding my 1995 300tdi 110 as RoW spec, so new Marsland RoW spec chassis, 300tdi engine, Disco auto box, Late TD5 style dash, Tdci doors and axles... Now here comes the issue and perhaps a quick confirmation needed of whether I'm going the right direction Wink

Axle wise then I've picked up a pair of 110 tdci axles (for reasons explained later) the rear I have no issues with fitting, simple swap over and post 2002 TD5 110 rear prop - done Smile

The front however, I notice theres a difference in part numbers for the panhard rod... before I bought the Tdci axles I bought an adjustable one for my 300tdi along with superpro bushes, so a bit of money tied up in it - will this work with the later axle? if not will a later one work with my original chassis bracket or if not where are the differences and what parts am I likely to need to sort it Wink ?

So back to the reasoning, basically I wanted to fit Ashcroft ATBs or similar and buying a set of tdci axles and Ashcroft ATBs, then selling my original 300tdi axles works out quite a bit cheaper than buying either Detroit or quaife ATBs for the 300tdi axles (due to the rear Salisbury) my only concern is strength of the new axles compared to the Salisbury rear I'm removing and whether I'll regret the move. I'm hoping with the Ashcroft ATB centre and autobox delivering smoothed out power delivery I should be ok but slightly worried about ring/pinion strength on the p38 style rear diff?

Also as an aside should all 110s have had vented front discs in the tdci era of vehicles? apparently these axles both came from a 110 but the front has solid discs (although discs and calipers are new so may just have been fitted in place of vented discs) if so would the recomendation be to swap back to vented front discs before I fit the axle? or stick with the solid discs for now?

Cheers all
Ben
Post #656779 12th Oct 2017 1:59pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
In 02' the panhard rod went from an M14 to an M16 bolt fixing at either end. I assume this remained the same throughout TDCI.

To fit the later axles you will need the panhard rod which matches the axles and the arm which connects to the other end of the panhard rod from a post 02' vehicle.

If calipers and discs are serviceable then stick with solid for now. If replacements are needed then go to vented. Unless you are towing a lot vented will make no noticeable difference.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #656785 12th Oct 2017 2:12pm
benspray

Thanks Steve,

Do you know, is the only difference in the bracket at the chassis end in the hole size? ie can I just drill mine out to 16mm or are there other differences to the location/bend/offset etc?
And yes the discs pads and calipers are all brand new so will leave them as is for now (my only concern was being on the brakes more than usual with it being an auto)

Cheers
Ben
Post #656793 12th Oct 2017 2:40pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Had an '02 (straight) Panhard rod fitted to my '96 300tdi, rather than drilling the chassis fixing out simply replaced the bracket with a Disco 2 item.
Oh and thinking about it the front axle case was Disco 2 as well!
Good luck with your project. Thumbs Up Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Last edited by shropshiredefender on 14th Oct 2017 11:11am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #656796 12th Oct 2017 2:56pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
The bush is physically bigger so I believe you need to change the bracket.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #656800 12th Oct 2017 3:37pm
benspray

Cheers Smile
Will be a galvanised bracket, adjustable panhard, and super pro bushes all new for sale shortly then Wink

Thanks
Ben
Post #656816 12th Oct 2017 4:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1