↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Bfg mud terrains...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Timcat wrote:
... The 255/85/16 bfg mtr & 30mm spacers don’t work on the rear with a fully loaded truck.
Any deep potholes & you get a rub on the edge of the rear arches, fronts are fine. Ended up removing the rear spacers & all was fine. Question is how do I get over this? Leave the rear spacers off( did 2500mls with just the front spacers) 2 inch lift? Any thoughts, it’s standard at the the moment but carries some weight as it’s an overlander ( Airtop tent, expedition rack, rear racks ect) Thoughts?

I run 255/85x16 BFG KM2s on zero offset Blindos, which will put them in just about the same place as your setup. I also run with a well-laden, sometimes max laden, vehicle, presently on standard (HD) suspension. The only issue I found was that the rearward facing lip along the lower edge at the front of the rear arch would sometime just touch the tyre, but only on the offside (that's LR build tolerances for you, there is ample clearance on the nearside). I simply shaved off the lip with a Stanley knife, and unless you saw me do it you'd never know that anything had been done. Since then I haven't had any contact. The picture below indicates that area that my bewildering word-picture is trying to describe!

A frustration for me is that it is quite impossible to fit tyre chains with 255/85s, since at the rear they would rip the arches off and at the front they'd foul the Glyn Lewis mudflaps. A 2" lift might solve this issue, and a suspension upgrade to an OME HD +2" set-up is something I am considering.

Post #665956 21st Nov 2017 10:57am
Arierep

Portugal 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
JOW240725,
Yes, I used to run Wolfs with hubcentric spacers.
Quite a nice setup.

Ended up swapping the Wolfs and spacers for 16x8j -25mm offset rims. Wanted a wider rim and a wider track. Spacers never gave me problems, but definitely feel better without them.

Regarding suspension lift and tyre clearances, don't forget that unless you change the bumpstops your actual clearance stays the same. You just need a bigger bump or a heavier load to run the tyre
Post #665980 21st Nov 2017 11:55am
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Blackwolf that’s exactly the same place as mine but on the near side.what 2” lift are you thinking of?
Post #666036 21st Nov 2017 4:23pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I am thinking of an upgrade to OME springs, since most of the time my Defender is quite well-laden. I am also thinking of fitting a full external SD cage will will increase the weight still further.

I plan to run it onto a weightbridge when I get the chance to establish its typical in service weight, after which I can make some more informed choices about springs etc.
Post #666040 21st Nov 2017 4:38pm
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Think we are on the same wave length, after seeing a 110 roll on the dunes in Morocco I’m also thinking roll cage...
Post #666046 21st Nov 2017 4:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123