↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 218 of 265 <123 ... 217218219 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Who's coming next?
What is the mentality of the average American? 
Post #677872 12th Jan 2018 1:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #677882 12th Jan 2018 1:33pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I think we should be careful...cards on the table i have never liked Donald Trump from when he did the apprentice, however, he ran for office and with the electoral system, he won.

Ironically people usually criticise politicians for not delivering on their election promises, i largely see that he is doing exactly what he said he would, which is novel, in the way he has always been.

I also think, like over here, the media whip up a storm to make people believe something...i dont believe everyone likes trump - but i equally think a lot do and i think, again like here, the media are just focusing on negative anti-stories to fit their agenda.

Before we start to make comments about the mentality of another nation (rightly or wrongly) the same could be said of us or anyone, eg whatever side of the BREXIT debate you are on other countries could say we are fools - little Britain etc...eg remain voters are stupid or leave voters simpletons.

Whatever system got a result, its the result and although democratically we can debate, challenge and re-run everything, we should respect that people have a view voted, a person got in and hold a respected office and when they actually deliver on the promise/act like they always have, we should remember all the times we moan that people are too faced etc etc. Mike
Post #677884 12th Jan 2018 1:39pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Nicely put, Mike Thumbs Up

And in the defense of the American voters, they didn't get a great choice between Trump and Clinton, did they?
Post #677887 12th Jan 2018 1:58pm
Laurie

Rashers wrote:
....And in the defense of the American voters, they didn't get a great choice between Trump and Clinton, did they?

It was the Americans that narrowed the vote down to Trump or Clinton. They had plenty of alternatives. 
Post #677895 12th Jan 2018 2:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

Again its a political process...it is what it is, we dont vote who is in the cabinet...we dont select the MP to vote for, we dont even choose our PM!!

Who has the democratic process now?! Mike
Post #677907 12th Jan 2018 3:19pm
Laurie

....but you can and do, by default, choose your MP.
If you are a party supporter join the party and help with the selection and election of your candidate; if not then either stand yourself or choose someone to represent your ideals.
If you do neither then you elect to accept one of the named candidates.
You make this choice at every election, whether conciously or by lack of effort. 
Post #677915 12th Jan 2018 4:37pm
mse

not strictly true and i know a little about it too having being involved in the political area Mike
Post #677929 12th Jan 2018 5:23pm
Slideywindows

England 
At least the Americans elected a leader (whether you like him or not).

Unlike the Germans, who have been unable to choose a leader since elections last September.

Perhaps the Beeb would like to go on about that?

Just for a change......
Post #678005 12th Jan 2018 9:16pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
You can only vote for the persons who stand for election in the area in which you live. That could be frustrating for some, especially if they support one of the smaller parties who may not be able to, or want to have a candidate.

I am told that proportional representation would solve this issue. It would allow the smaller parties to get a foot hold. The Tories and Labour are not keen on this and at present will not actively try and change the status quo.

The only issue I have with proportional representation is that along with the 'normal' smaller parties getting into Westminster, I am afraid that this would also allow the more dubious and the actively unpleasant ones to also thrive (far left, far right, racist, just plain obnoxious).

Although I am not a fan of what we have in the UK, I don't think there is anything much better, and it is far better than the United States system where elections seem to go on for ever (although I'm sure Auntie Beeb, ITN and Sky News would have a field day).

Am I right in thinking the Germans use a version of proportional representation? They seem to be struggling with their political system at present.
Post #678012 12th Jan 2018 9:46pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^ Rashers, as you point out, Proportional Respresentation would allow an individual to vote for their favoured party, any party. But as you also queried, the stalemate you see in Germany would be the result. Perhaps one could argue that that would be the essence of democracy but IMHO it would slow down the machinery of government when generally speaking the majority of the voting population, and the current two parties that represent them, want the same thing. Further, with the current and often puerile use of Social Media, a full PR system without proper controls could lead to an absolutely untenable parliament. Whilst our system may not be perfect and not allow smaller parties to be represented in all constituencies, the majority are. So unlike the US two-party system, in most parts of the UK you can vote for a minority party such as Green, SinnFein, DUP, UKIP etc, even if they may not be ultimately elected. I'd prefer boring stability and 'status quo' to run my country than entirely democratic turmoil. Actually I'd prefer my country to be run by 'Iron Maiden' Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #678262 13th Jan 2018 11:02pm
mse

Things work better when people compromise, when the middle ground is found and a position both sides can live with is found - thats why it is far better to have a hung parliament or a system that proportionally represents the votes, so parties have to work together rather than our outdated and poor system.

Just think of all the arguments saved around insert issue - i will use the NHS...people talk about a cross party or similar group to come together to fix it...well that would almost be the position by default. Mike
Post #678275 14th Jan 2018 12:19am
leeds

United Kingdom 
OI, you lot, THIS IS THE GRUMPY OLD MAN THREAD!

It is not the polite political discussion thread so go and start your own thread Razz

YES I know I started this by having a whinge as I do not consider the POTUS as leader of the free world. Current POTUS has even less right to be considered leader of the free world.

SO get back on topic here and be grumpy old men

Brendan
Post #678339 14th Jan 2018 12:27pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I thoroughly dislike being told what to do Very Happy

Despite which I will not post the carefully crafted roughly 2 sides of A4 political rant so carefully prepared last night.

I will however say that I get very annoyed at acronyms that I don't understand especially when used by the chattering "middle classes" as a means of excluding others.

So what the hell does POTUS mean?
Post #678343 14th Jan 2018 12:36pm
Laurie

Go figure it..... Twisted Evil 
Post #678353 14th Jan 2018 1:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 218 of 265 <123 ... 217218219 ... 263264265>