↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > help with a sankey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
OK, just to clear things up:

95% of Sankeys have NON rotating towing eyes- I have been working with them for over 12 years now and never come across one that rotates.

If your sankey has a non rotating eye ALWAYS have the tow pintle unlocked even if on-road. I have seen what happens when a sankey rolls, and if it is locked the trailer will take the tow vehicle with it- even when empty.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #59645 17th Feb 2011 4:53pm
Glynparry25

Just on your little predicament..... How does your current tow system stop you fitting the NATO pintle straight to your cross member?

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #59646 17th Feb 2011 4:57pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
gly

thanks for the info on rotating - pretty much as I'd heard.

any how been thinking about this and cost etc which draws me away from the dixon bate adjustable jobbies and onto your last question.

the plate that currently has the tow ball on it (standard LR arrangement) half covers the lower 2 of the 4 captive nuts for recieving the 4 bolts for the NATO hitch.

so my thoughts being if I can 'cut' two half moons on the top edge of this plate, buy another plate with another 2 half moons on the lower edge and 2 holes corresponding with the 2 top bolt positions then I can have both (nato hitch and tow ball) permanently mounted.?

if you see where I'm coming from - I guess this will be the cheapest and most convenient option?
Post #59660 17th Feb 2011 6:44pm
Glynparry25

Caterham wrote:

so my thoughts being if I can 'cut' two half moons on the top edge of this plate, buy another plate with another 2 half moons on the lower edge and 2 holes corresponding with the 2 top bolt positions then I can have both (nato hitch and tow ball) permanently mounted.?

if you see where I'm coming from - I guess this will be the cheapest and most convenient option?

That is exactly what I was going to suggest Thumbs Up

Plus, having the NATO hitch on a dixon bate will normaly have your sankey at a dodgy angle.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #59662 17th Feb 2011 6:53pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Glynparry25 wrote:

95% of Sankeys have NON rotating towing eyes- I have been working with them for over 12 years now and never come across one that rotates.

If your sankey has a non rotating eye ALWAYS have the tow pintle unlocked even if on-road. I have seen what happens when a sankey rolls, and if it is locked the trailer will take the tow vehicle with it- even when empty.

Glyn Dog Sheep

And don't forget to put the locking pin through the top fastener thing. I forgot and lost it going up a very steep hill..... Shocked Soooo lucky no one was behind me, it thundered back down the road, span round but eventually jammed against the high curb and stopped! That was another of the 9 Land Rover lives gone. It was so heavy and small I now use an Ifor Williams trailer for work, much more practical for me.
Post #59664 17th Feb 2011 7:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Glynparry25

Zagato wrote:

And don't forget to put the locking pin through the top fastener thing.

Yep, that is a must do Very Happy

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #59671 17th Feb 2011 7:15pm
Caterham

Gly,

just off to do a search for a replacement plate ie one big plate rather than two pieces.....
I wonder if anyone knows of such a thing......
similar I guess to what used to be on the series defenders (well some of them if my memory serves me right)
Post #59682 17th Feb 2011 8:55pm
Glynparry25

I don't think anywhere does anything like the old series type. As long as the new plate is the same thickness as the old it should all slot together nicely Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #59687 17th Feb 2011 9:36pm
Caterham

so an angle grinder, paint, one of these and a few bolts should do the trick.......
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-NATO-TOW-...1c194855f1
Post #59691 17th Feb 2011 9:47pm
Glynparry25

Just double check it is the same thickness as your tow bar. Otherwise there will be a step and it won't mate with the cross member correctly.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #59692 17th Feb 2011 9:49pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Just had a quick check on t'bay and if you want a project Sankey trailer, try typing in sanky or 'skankey' Laughing 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #59697 17th Feb 2011 10:01pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
chiefstoker wrote:
Just had a quick check on t'bay and if you want a project Sankey trailer, try typing in sanky or 'skankey' Laughing

Good spot Thumbs Up Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #59701 17th Feb 2011 10:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Caterham wrote:
Gly,

just off to do a search for a replacement plate ie one big plate rather than two pieces.....
I wonder if anyone knows of such a thing......
similar I guess to what used to be on the series defenders (well some of them if my memory serves me right)

I have spare Series long drop plate if thats what you are looking for. Will see if I can get a photo up of it for you.

There you go...

Click image to enlarge

If this is what you are looking for I can ask around to see if any mates in Brum have one more local to you Thumbs Up I'll give him call tomorrow :rolllaugh:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #59711 17th Feb 2011 10:20pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Glynparry25 wrote:

Glyn Dog Sheep

Glyn,

I hadn't realised until seeing your post and doing some digging that the wide tracks have non-swivelling rings. All the older narrow track Sankeys had rotating eyes, but I appreciate that there will be very few if any of these still in service (I haven't seen one with its original owner for a long time). I have no doubt that the fixed eye was introduced specifically to avoid the problem of the bent drawbar and is a great improvement at last, but it would of course rule out using a DB pin/jaw coupling for a WT - as you say it is imperative that either the hook or the ring can rotate.

I bought my old narrow track (unfortunately sold a few years ago) at the last ever Ruddington auction, which rather dates both it and me. I chose the one I bought from a long line of them since it was about the only one which had a straight drawbar. A bonus was that it was also the only one still to have a full set of wading plugs and it was always my intention to try to fnd out if it really floated with a full payload, like the makers claimed! Sadly this was another thing I never actually got round to doing. I never really saw the need for a floating trailer since the Landrover that woudl presumably be towing it tends to float like an anvil.
Post #59755 18th Feb 2011 12:05am
Caterham

Zagato,

thanks for the offer however I think I'll try and pursue the option of the additional plate so I can pretty much leave the existing in place and just add / remove the NATO hitch. this will hopefully also be the route of least work.
Post #59784 18th Feb 2011 9:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>