↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > This is a new one! Any ideas?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetsmith

had to to replace one on the pick up as spline had failed lack of lube and servicing by previous user, trip to AL Service for parts, (Andy) replace both with single-piece half shafts as fitted before 2004 to 90
Post #640061 27th Jul 2017 8:42am
ozy013

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
Gday blackwolf, I was chatting at work with our truck mechanic, and we were talking about the set up in my front diff, which I believe is identical now to yours, ie, Ashcrofts ATB centre, HD crown wheel and pinion (3.5 ratio), HD axles, HD CV's and HD drive flanges.
He reckoned I needed to use LSD oil, not the standard castrol EPX 80W-90, just as he does in his Landcruiser, as it wouldn't provide suffucient lubrication for the centre. Im pretty sure that the Ashcrofts website states no special oils are required.

I know you said your centre had done only 38k miles, but if the oil level is good and it doesnt look water contaminated then could it possibly be due to the oil itself?

Im guessing, that like me, you use the standard EPX80W-90. My diff oils get changed every 10,000k's, when I perform a service, and I always squirt in 125mls of this stuff https://www.nulon.com.au/products/Specialt..._Treatment.
It would be interesting to know if the oil quality could've caused this failure. How often do you change your diff oils?

I was going to drop Dave an email, just to check about the oil requirement for his ATB's.
Post #640070 27th Jul 2017 9:15am
ozy013

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
Just got a reply from Dave, he states that 80-90 is correct, the plate type LSD’s use different oils but the helical ones like his use normal oils.
Post #640083 27th Jul 2017 9:59am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
ozy013, thank you for your posts. I have been using 80W90 GL5 mineral oil in my diffs, as recommended by LR, and the oil I just drained out has been in the rear diff since that ATB was fitted 38k miles and just under 2 years ago. Ironically I was planning an oil change around now anyway, at the 2yr/40k point.

There is now no doubt in my mind whatsoever that water has entered the axle somehow and contaminated the oil, and that is what has done the damage. The oil looks oily still, but is black and gungy, more so that I wuld have expected, and more tellingly over 2 litres came out of the axle. It is not possible to get as much oil in the axle as came out except by tipping the vehicle at a steep angle to the left, which I certainly did not do when I filled it!

There can be no doubt that getting on for half a litre of *something* got into the axle, and it can only have been water.

From now on I will definitely be doing axle oil changes more frequently, and will probably stick my finger in the filler hole to check the level and colour of the oil even more frequently still. Had I done this I would have known immediately that there was a problem due to the raised oil level.

When I get the chance I will strip the ATB to determine the extent of the damage and to see if it is repairable. I doubt it is, since I know that on the whole internal spares for these ATBs are not available, so it may be time for a new unit.

Should I this time around opt for an Ashcroft long-nose upgrade? Hmm, have to have a think about that!
Post #640087 27th Jul 2017 10:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123