↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Output Shaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
BossHog

England 
Output Shaft
So I noticed my 1st to 2nd gear change was getting a little notchy when it was cold or hot, though I did think as its not to bad it must be a defender thing and I could live with it. Then last week we had the dreaded rattle suddenly starting to creep in, as we are travelling into Spain for a month next week with the defender I decided to have a new clutch fitted, and at the same time fit the Ashcroft MT-82 Output shaft. My defender is a 2012, with 22k miles used as a 2nd vehicle and is well / overly maintained. The wear on the output shaft was unbelievable for 22k miles, and no doubt nearing failure, one of the springs also was slightly loose on the clutch plate, the difference now in the gear changes and noise level is now night and day.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #636445 8th Jul 2017 9:32pm
d.tribe

United Kingdom 
Hi all

I think my 110 has fallen victim to an output shaft failure. Started getting a loud clonk when taking up drive and within a few miles complete loss of drive and loud noises from gearbox/transfer box area.

It's off to a local Indy tomorrow for diagnosis. Just wondered if it is the output shaft failure how much others have paid to have it sorted. Also thinking of getting the Ashcroft upgraded shaft fitted if that's what's failed.

Wish I had extended the warranty now!!!!

Dave.
Post #636555 9th Jul 2017 5:16pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Given that this problem is well known and not isolated, I wonder what options exist to claim that the design is not fit for purpose and that repairs should be rectified by JLR regardless of warranty period? Do we have anyone on the forum who understands consumer legislation in this respect?
Post #636560 9th Jul 2017 5:31pm
AlanH

Australia 
I had mine changed recently for a new OME shaft with a bellows to contain grease. Wasn't prepared to go the Ashcroft way as I'm selling it anyway.
When I had a new transfer case under warranty I asked the workshop foreman to make sure this shaft was well greased....and his answer was "This is not a service item" in a deep brown curry nosh shop voice!
And they obviously hadn't greased it as the shaft was as per the above pics. Censored .
Friend had his 2007 Puma shaft let go after many thousands of kays of remote travel, luckily at a service station east of Perth WA and not in the bush far from help.
He never reads forums as they're all doom and gloom...... he loved his 110 but haven't heard from him since this happened so suspect he went back to the darkside.
20 years with a Nissan which never faltered but eventually disappeared as rust had gone through most of it!
AlanH.
Post #637420 14th Jul 2017 12:36am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
When I had a new transfer case under warranty I asked the workshop foreman to make sure this shaft was well greased....and his answer was "This is not a service item" in a deep brown curry nosh shop voice!
And they obviously hadn't greased it as the shaft was as per the above pics.

But it is a TSB for just that problem. They're supposed to have been greased on assembly.
Post #637423 14th Jul 2017 12:40am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
AlanH wrote:
I had mine changed recently for a new OME shaft with a bellows to contain grease....

Alan, is this a typo for "OEM", or does Old Man Emu now make replacement shafts?
Post #637435 14th Jul 2017 8:34am
blackwolf

lohr500 wrote:
Given that this problem is well known and not isolated, I wonder what options exist to claim that the design is not fit for purpose and that repairs should be rectified by JLR regardless of warranty period? ...

None at all, I should think! In my experience JLR is not particularly receptive to this sort of thing unless ordered to do so on safety ground by the authorities or unless it is attracting such widespread negative publicicty that it is affecting sales. On a discontinued vehicle made in fairly small numbers, I can't see it happening.

If someone's output adaptor shaft failed leaving them stranded on a level crossing in front of a fast approaching passenger train or a similar catastrophic predicament, or even if there was a demonstrable record of people dying in accidents resulting from shaft failure, you might have better chances of action.

Bottom line is that unless it is a defect which is likely to kill or maim people, your chances are extremely small.
Post #637436 14th Jul 2017 8:41am
AlanH

Australia 
It may well be on their TSB (whatever that is) but who knows what the assemblers bother doing until something breaks? By that time it's well away from them so why would they worry about that?
As far as I can see Ford made sure not a cent was spent on anything they could get cheaper elsewhere...... this shaft and axles, clutches, floor coverings etc. being prime examples.
Mines for sale as I said and it has been a great reliable vehicle, but I've made sure as much as I can that things that might break have been fixed.
Hopefully the D4 isn't made in such a fashion.... Crying or Very sad
AlanH.

PS. Twas a typo BW, while I woz in me cups .....
Post #637446 14th Jul 2017 9:23am
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Perhaps I am to be stupid here. Should the front wheel still have drive when this shaft fail?
Post #637448 14th Jul 2017 9:29am
AlanH

Australia 
I don't know but I think not. No doubt one of our experts will soon let us know.
AlanH.
Post #637452 14th Jul 2017 9:51am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
No, this is the shaft that connects the main box to the transfer box so if it fails, all drive is lost. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #637453 14th Jul 2017 9:51am
blackwolf

If the output adaptor shaft fails, you will have no drive at all, whether or not the centre diff is locked, but the handbrake will work (in effect it is just the same as being in neutral in main or transfer boxes and trying to drive off, but usually noisier).

If a rear halfshaft, diff, or drive flange fails (also a common failure) you will initially lose all drive, and you will find that the handbrake won't hold the vehicle. If you get an assistant to look under the vehicle as you let in the clutch with the footbrake applied, the assistant will see the rear propshaft rotating. Locking the centre diff in this event will give you both drive and handbrake.

If a front halfshaft, diff, or drive flange fails (not quite so common a failure) you will again initially lose all drive, but you will find that the handbrake will still hold the vehicle. If you get an assistant to look under the vehicle as you let in the clutch with the footbrake applied, the assistant will see the front propshaft rotating. Locking the centre diff in this event will give you drive.
Post #637463 14th Jul 2017 10:51am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
It may well be on their TSB (whatever that is)

Technical Service Buletin.

They're sent out to dealers to make them aware of changes in procedures, fixes for common faults or possible errors made on the production line.

The shaft was supposed to have been greased on production, but many werent, so dealers were sent a TSB stating that the shaft should be greased on re-assembly in dealerships. So if they've had the transfer box off and found the shaft not to be greased they should have done so.
Post #637478 14th Jul 2017 12:40pm
blackwolf

Although (if my memory serves me) the TSB says that the coupling should be 'lubricated' using Weicon paste, which isn't technically a lubricant, it is an anti-seize paste. I have never really understood why this is specified.

When I last changed my clutch I used the most molybdenum-rich lubricant I could get hold of. My clutch will soon need doing again (it's down 60k miles since the last one, which is more than I expect a Puma clutch to last, and has become pretty horribly to drive), and it will be interesting to see what the output shaft splines look like now.

AS I write this my 2007 DC has done over 210,000 miles on the original splined coupling. Now I have said this, it may fail on the way home, of course!
Post #637486 14th Jul 2017 1:48pm
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
Silly question probably, but why is there this splined connection? Why isn't is a solid link?... After all, all the other boxes just have a male shaft straight in to the lt230. V8 90...WIP
Post #637565 14th Jul 2017 11:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>