↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Alive Tuning's ATRIC Remap.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Lorryman100

The way the dealer explained it to me was that LR warranty need a printout from IDS along with a report to get a warranty authorisation to do the repair. There are guidelines that need to be followed and thats were the clashes with the dealer surface. Unfortunately unless you pay around £600 for a more advanced diagnostic, like the MSV-2 you dont seem to be able to get a cheap system that does both tested and untested DTC's. This confused the hell out of me when I first got the nanocom especially the codes disappearing! I know exactly were you are coming from in regards to diagnostic equipment, I have a scangauge, nanocom and a remap unit which show the same codes. I have learnt the hard way that I should now get a system which shows more detailed explanations for the faults shown. In nanocoms defence I store all the faults in the memory card and compare new ones with the old files and you do see a pattern of random faults mixed in with the more serious codes standing out with there repetition in being logged. Then when I went to the dealer I was fairly certain they would show as tested DTC's, which they did turn out to be TF, the result was a few repairs carried out and the problems have now gone.
I'm an amateur when it comes to diagnostics compared to the likes of Pete or anyone who does it for a living but would rather have the ability to keep an eye on my landy using this equipment than just rely on a dealer resetting them and saying nothings wrong with it. The more you get into it the more you start to understand when your landy starts throwing up repetitive codes. It is better in my view to go into the dealers with a firm idea in your mind to what you think is wrong with your landy that way the dealer has to convince you that your wrong and he is right and at the very least he will humour you and may even dig further to find the cause. BigRuss posted earlier that he was told by the dealer that there is a new Tech bulletin out to address the poor performance being experienced by owners so hopefully this will cure your problems. Thumbs Up
Post #59119 14th Feb 2011 9:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Its all about faults.

The returns are faults logged (just like every pc) but like you say it's about when it's a problem.

I would rather see all of them, than have them prescreened as actually you can star to see more faults. Mike
Post #59123 14th Feb 2011 10:04pm
Lorryman100

The ability too see all faults is great Mike, its then having the ability to split them into tested and non tested DTC's which in my view would make the case for a dealer repair. After all if you know its logged as a tested DTC then you know it will show up on IDS meaning the fault would be repaired under warranty. The confusion is coming from having lots of DTC's and not knowing if they are tested or not? As I said you can monitor what comes and goes and after a while you will get to know which ones are showing all the time and therefore a problem to be addressed, where as others come and go and are less worrisome.
Post #59135 14th Feb 2011 10:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
do you really think you will be able to tell the difference ?

i doubt it very much

i think the tuning will be pretty much the same ? imho

steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #59227 15th Feb 2011 4:44pm
Lorryman100

Thought I would try and explain the differences in DTC codes. So here goes:

There are basically two types of DTC codes for OBDII Diagnostics:

Emissions related DTC's Tested DTC's
Type A

1. Emissions related.
2. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will be illuminated as soon as the error occurs.
3. Stores a freeze frame DTC after one failed driving cycle.( history DTC is stored )

Type B

1. Emissions related.
2. Sets a Pending Trouble Code after one failed driving cycle.
3. Clears a Pending Trouble Code after one successful driving cycle.
4. Turns on the MIL after two/three consecutive failed driving cycles.
5. Stores a Pending Trouble Code as a DTC after two consecutive failed driving cycles.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC – Type A or Type B

The MIL will turn off after four consecutive driving cycles in which the diagnostic runs without a fault.
A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a fault.
DTC(s) can be cleared by using a scan/diagnostic tool.

Non–Emissions Related DTCs Un Tested DTC's

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

1. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will not illuminate.
2. The ECM will record a DTC at the time the diagnostic fails.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a fault.
DTC(s) can be cleared by using a scan/diagnostic tool.

How to read a DTC Code

The DTC value will help you narrow down the specific component or module in question. A DTC has a standardized format that can be interpreted as follows:
The first part of the DTC is the Alpha Designator. The alpha designator will be:

B - Body electronics (i.e., door and hood latches)
C - Chassis (i.e., traction control or ABS)
P - Powertrain (i.e., engine, transmission)
U - Network communications for the different control modules

Second Digit - Code Type
The second digit identifies whether the code is a generic code (same on all OBD-II equpped vehicles), or a manufacturer specific code.

0 = Generic (The diagnostic codes that are required by law on all OBD II systems are "generic" in the sense that all vehicle manufacturers use the same common code list and the same 16-pin diagnostic connector. Thus, a P0301 misfire code on a Ford means the same thing on a Vauxhall, Citroen, Toyota or Mercedes.)

1 = Enhanced ( Each vehicle manufacturers also have the freedom to add their own "enhanced" codes to provide even more detailed information about various faults. Enhanced codes also cover non-emission related failures that occur outside the engine control system. These include ABS codes, HVAC codes, airbag codes and other body and electrical codes.)

Third Digit - Sub-System

The third digit denotes the type of sub-system that pertains to the code

1 = Emission Management (Fuel or Air)
2 = Injector Circuit (Fuel or Air)
3 = Ignition or Misfire
4 = Emission Control
5 = Vehicle Speed & Idle Control
6 = Computer & Output Circuit
7 = Transmission
8 = Transmission
9 = SAE Reserved
0 = SAE Reserved

Fourth and Fifth Digits
These digits, along with the others, are variable, and relate to a particular problem code error number

So let's diagnose a DTC, I've picked P0404-73 EGR control circuit range/performance: actuator stuck closed

so we have:
P = Powertrain (engine, transmission)
0 = Generic
4 = Emissions control
0 4 =This is the specific error code within Emission control. In this case the EGR control circuit range/performance
-73= This is a specific problem, in this case the actuator is stuck closed. 74 means its stuck open.

Hope this helps somebody, somewhere Whistle And please highlight any errors, mistakes as I am still learning about diagnostics and any help would be appreciated Thumbs Up
Post #59274 15th Feb 2011 8:57pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Very helpful Bri Thumbs Up
Post #59280 15th Feb 2011 9:41pm
Augusto

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
To Gary or BAS:
In order to be more precise when ordering a remap, what kind of inputs you need from me to do your job ?
What questions will you ask me?
What parameters I should start to considering?
Just to think about it.
Thanks
Post #59311 15th Feb 2011 11:27pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Augusto wrote:
To Gary or BAS:
In order to be more precise when ordering a remap, what kind of inputs you need from me to do your job ?
What questions will you ask me?
What parameters I should start to considering?
Just to think about it.
Thanks

Hi i would need really to know very simlar to this PDF of the puma maf developement im starting in the next few days.

http://www.defender2.co.uk/gallery/albums/...rm%202.pdf

We will be starting this project in the next day or so to locate and iisloate puma drivbility faults from failing components and vehicle modification clashes on tuned cars like Decat exhausts etc etc.

As with all of our BAS tuning on every model we dont just produce something and leave it be, we are always working to improve perfect and help our customers with issues they may or may not have even if its an original underline car issue or from a modification made that was not present as the time of original tune. We are probabally one of the very few tuning companys that keep spending money on developement of products as landrover make changes to their base software.

Pete

Last edited by bell-auto-services on 16th Feb 2011 12:50am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #59317 16th Feb 2011 12:00am
bell-auto-services

An informative post Lorryman100, you have been going some homework Smile

To clarify and add to it since im in the know Mr. Green

Puma error dtc age limit is 255 Counts of key cycles before dtc is auto removed
Puma error with mill lamp on dtc age limit is 40 Counts of warm-ups before dtc is auto removed

These options are also setable and adjustable or even removable via tuning if you know where to look and what to change, every single fault type in the car is available for modification if needed.
In fact i may change the shown NON tested dtcs and their age limit before clearing in my tuning to help the user determine the real faults if any.

Funny really as ive seen landrovers updates many, many times change the (DTC filter mask) for various faults and socalled fixes they come out with. Battery monitoring was one that springs to mind on the Discovery 4

Pete
Post #59323 16th Feb 2011 12:49am
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
bell-auto-services wrote:
Puma error with mill lamp on dtc age limit is 40 Counts of warm-ups before dtc is auto removed

These options are also setable and adjustable or even removable via tuning if you know where to look and what to change, every single fault type in the car is available for modification if needed.

He's not making this up you know! Mr. Green

Post #59376 16th Feb 2011 3:07pm
Lorryman100

Now for the stupid question Whistle Does the above counts of 255/40 key cycles mean in which the diagnostic runs without the fault reoccurring?
Post #59426 16th Feb 2011 7:55pm
bell-auto-services

Yes this is normally the case.
Post #59427 16th Feb 2011 8:01pm
Lorryman100

Puma error dtc age limit is 255 counts

heres another 255 count: 10AS ECU plip code = 255 rolling code count
Post #59765 18th Feb 2011 1:02am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Alive Tuning's ATRIC Remap.... Arriving in the morning Cool NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #59931 18th Feb 2011 9:11pm
Lorryman100

Good one Karl Thumbs Up Take it you'll not bother with remap versions 1&2 and go straight for version 3 Whistle
Post #59932 18th Feb 2011 9:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>