↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Alive Tuning's ATRIC Remap.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Lorryman100

Alive Tuning's ATRIC Remap.
Received this Saturday morning at 9am after ordering it the day before, next day delivery, well impressed. Bow down

Click image to enlarge

I also got an email containing the set up programme and instructions on how to set the unit up. So out came the Laptop and the set up programme loaded it was just a case of plugging the unit in to the laptop, by use of the supplied usb cable.

Click image to enlarge

Once all this was done it was out to the landy and plug the ATRIC unit into the OBDII socket. I then chose from the menu to read the ecu and it copied the original vehicle map. It takes about 10 mins to do but tells you when its finished. Once the unit finished it was unplugged from landy and reconnected to the laptop. I then saved the original engine file to the hard disc and unplugged the unit.

Next I emailed Gary at Alive the original map file explaining what I wanted from the remap. I asked for a remap to help with towing and fuel economy and the ability to be a boy racer should the need arise Whistle I got a confirmation back almost instantly saying it would take him about twenty minutes or so, remember that its Saturday afternoon Bow down Then as promised I got the remap, well 3 remaps to be precise, along with the explanations:

V1 is steady, and should be really good on fuel.
V2 Is Stronger, and should give a good all round balance of torque and economy
V3 is pretty hot, but I don’t recommend this to be used if the vehicle is going to be working hard.

So I got 3 remap files to try, unfortunately by the time I got everything done I had to go to work Big Cry So this morning me the missus and the three dogs took a run down to Ayr with version 1 installed. Engine was very smooth through all gears, power and feel felt very close too the standard tune but as it should be and not what we get as standard. Gave the dogs a couple of hours walk and a swim in the sea and back to landy too install version 2. Wow, what a difference. Tons of torque and to get that pushed into your seat feeling from a defender (The missus commented that it felt like being in her car, Mitsubishi Lancer) was exhilarating Very Happy This is my first remap and boy I'm impressed, the power transfer is so smooth and there always seems to be more waiting should I need it. I spent the day trying to find flat spots with both v1 and v2, pulling away in second to accelerating in high gear with very low revs. Didn't need to change out of 6th gear when cruising and we have some good climbs up here. Came back over Rest and be thankfull, and worked the landy hard in every gear and still couldn't find a reason to fault the remap. Very happy with v2 so not going to be tempted with v3 as once installed I dont think I would take it off Whistle
Just a thought, if any one is having clutch problems due to a rough running engine then maybe this remap is what you need to smooth out the power on your Landy Question
I filled the Landy up this morning, covered 107 miles working the Landy hard with lots of dual carriageway/motorway driving at 70mph-ish Whistle then back to garage to fill up. Landy took 18 litres which works out at 5.94MPL or 26.75 MPG. Not bad when I considered how much I thrashed it today. Back to normal driving style tomorrow though, as I will then be able to judge fuel consumption with the remap, and based on the above figures, should be very good Thumbs Up

So to sum up, I can't fault the service and remap from Gary at Alive Tuning and would recommend them to any one considering a Remap in the future. The power delivery and smoothness of the engine has to be felt to be beleived Very Happy I feel like a boy racer now, albeit a fat baldy middle aged one that is Whistle So Gary if you read this, you have gained one very happy customer, see you soon for the Intercooler, Decat pipe ,Samco XDB hoses and the SS exhaust system Thumbs Up
Post #58882 13th Feb 2011 8:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Nice review Brian. Be interested to hear more about fuel economy in due course
Post #58887 13th Feb 2011 9:03pm
Lorryman100

Will do Mike, that is one of the main reasons I went for this remap Thumbs Up
Post #58888 13th Feb 2011 9:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Great read Brian, Can't wait till mine comes now i will be able to see how much smoother it is than the BAS tune.... with having the BAS map before, i'll be able to tell the difference in both map..... i'll let you all know the difference in the two....sounds awesome Thumbs Up / NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #58891 13th Feb 2011 9:17pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Lorryman100 wrote:
Will do Mike, that is one of the main reasons I went for this remap Thumbs Up

I doubt you will get better MPG.... Like you have found, with the Alive map the engine is much smoother and freely revs past 3,000rpm (LR map seems to kick in at 2k and then die at 3k), which I find myself using much more now.... only down side to the map is I find that I like to use the power more which means no better MPG... but no doubt that if I drove like I used to it would be as good if not better.

I am glad you are impressed with yours as I am mine Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #58893 13th Feb 2011 9:20pm
Lorryman100

Have to say Glyn that I thrashed my Landy today, thrashed her like she's never been thrashed before Whistle and after all that to get 26.75mpg is fantastic in my view. So if I can better this by driving normally or not, I am still a very happy teddy bear (Anybody guess what team I support Whistle) Thumbs Up
Post #58902 13th Feb 2011 9:37pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
fekete wrote:
Great read Brian, Can't wait till mine comes now i will be able to see how much smoother it is than the BAS tune.... with having the BAS map before, i'll be able to tell the difference in both map..... i'll let you all know the difference in the two....sounds awesome Thumbs Up /

fekete, looking at your tools log file at the time for installed running times and files used etc, and as we didnt fully get to the bottom of your remap problem before your refund was given it will be hard to give a fully matched long term and honest comparison between the two since your miles covered was very little.

Not forgetting this wasnt a generic map which is why in some cases and yours especially adjustments were needed, its a shame i didnt get to fulfill my part of the deal fully before i was forced to refund.

Im sure you will be very happy with your ARTIC remap Gary will make for you.

Keep up the good work Gary.

Pete
Post #58916 13th Feb 2011 9:57pm
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
bell-auto-services wrote:
Im sure you will be very happy with your ARTIC remap Gary will make for you.

Keep up the good work Gary.

Pete

Cheers Pete! Thumbs Up
Post #58919 13th Feb 2011 10:07pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Pete, i think i will be able to give a comparison between the two mate just as Lorryman has given a comparison after one day of his tune ?.... your map was not right and you could not get it right .... for everyone i had the map on a good 2 or 3 weeks ? .....you even told me that it was because i needed to blank the EGR and when i told you i had a blank on it you then changed it and told me its because you have a D/Cat on Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Also you wasn't forced to refund you wanted more money to put it right ? your obligation is to refund if you product isn't right NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #58920 13th Feb 2011 10:12pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Interesting about the V1 tune. I went to Warwick today and I did not exceed 65mph and tried to keep to about 60. 100mile and used 19ltrs which is 23.93. Because of this awful fuel consumption I took the roof rack off a couple of weeks ago. Before December I would have got 27 with the roof rack. There must be something wrong with mine (though the dealers say not) and the flat spots are really bugging me now and worse with the egr closed tune in. It’s off to another dealers tomorrow and it my last hope.

Boy
Post #58924 13th Feb 2011 10:23pm
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
To give you all a bit of a "behind the scene's" look into this particular job, here's some details I emailed to Brian, to help explain what I've done for him with his tuning. Every customer gets custom made map files, to suit their specific needs, and you can see the descriptions of what I made for Brian, below...

Quote:
Thanks for all the info on your car, Brian.

Please find attached, three tuned files I have just made for you, which I hope should suit your needs well.

All three files are speed delimited (to 255kph!). I normally set a limit to 95mph because of tyre speed ratings, and to be honest I'd be amazed if the car would exceed this kind of speed in it's current state anyway!

V1 is a really steady state of tune, that is very safe, and will not cause any damage, even when the car is loaded beyond full capacity and worked like a slave!

V2 is about what I would normally deliver for a stage 1 remap, as it is a good all rounder in terms of power/torque/economy/ability/reliability.

Regarding V3, It has the same difference again, as there is between v1 and v2, so should be pretty damn impressive. I normally only deliver this kind of power and torque with a big intercooler conversion, but it should be absolutely fine, as long as the car doesn’t have to work too hard for too long, otherwise exhaust gas temps may get too high!

All files should give an excellent spread of usable torque, with more power being available with versions 2 and 3. None of the files should make any smoke, as fuel and boost are matched perfectly. Tuning is about efficiency, and a smoking exhaust is not efficient. If a car has an Alive sticker on it, It needs to be clean! Smoking exhausts make a good car, look crap!

Please give them a go, and let me know how you get on.
Post #58926 13th Feb 2011 10:27pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
This is what baffels me

fekete wrote:

Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:40 PM
To: bellautos@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: tune

Hi Pete thanks for the help today i finally got it all sorted... Read the codes before and they was 0404 0100 0234 0299 1103 ....Had a drive and to be honest was expecting a little more power ? ...It definitely pulls better in every gear but was expecting a little more....Is that the only tune you have or is there another one with a bit more response and power....Regards Karl Fekete

I reply

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 7:58 PM, <bellautos> wrote:

HI
I can make more but I think you will have drivability problems, I don’t advise it.

I deliver the power as smooth as I can which is why the felling seems mild.

its up to you but I don’t recommend it.

pete

fekete wrote:

Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:22 PM
To: bellautos@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: tune

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the promp reply.I understand what your saying,but I would like the extra power.
As at the minute the power is really mild,compared to what I was expecting.
So I would really appreciate it if you would send me the more powerful map please.
Regards Karl

I Reply

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 7:21 AM, <bellautos> wrote:
Hi
please find attached a 2nd file, let me know how you get on.

pete

fekete wrote:

Hi Pete Sorry i haven't been back in touch just got in from work thanks for sending me the other Map just put it in the truck OMG...Well what a difference that's exactly what i was after ...Thanks for all your help and advice and i will be well recommending you and your service... Well thanks again and ill be in touch next week for a d cat pipe.
Regards Karl

And i still get it in the neck with you stating you were not happy, I admit the emails went of quite some time after this with the suspected faullts and me racking my brain as to what it could possibily be but the email above still shows you were happy then for some reason after a possibile truck modification when i could not provide a decat all went tits up.

Is it because i could not supply a pipe in time you were not happy ?, or is it because when you fitted one the cars driveability changed of which i advised it would in the previous email when you were asking for a MORE power file ?.

Can you not leave me out of your dealings and comparisons as i feel it unfare due to the cicrumstances you put me under.

The Puma have problems as standard, their is eniough members on this forum to vouch for this. I cant be held responcibile for cars that have in some cases an underlined problem.

I have a car cominig in hopefully next week with problems that the dealer cant sort for what ever reason, its had an ecu etc ect but still drives bad as STANDARD not tuned, once i find the answer ill post the results for all to gain from.

Pete

Last edited by bell-auto-services on 13th Feb 2011 10:40pm. Edited 5 times in total
Post #58927 13th Feb 2011 10:30pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Hi Boy

Can you not get yours looked at by Gary??

How much warranty you got left?

Quote "I took the roof rack off a couple of weeks ago"

That will be why I did not spot yours today then

Andy
Post #58929 13th Feb 2011 10:33pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Loads of warranty left Andy but they just say nothings wrong with is. On short trips I down to 18mpg. I am bit worried about throwing more money at it at the moment.
Post #58930 13th Feb 2011 10:37pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
18 Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Thats BAD,

Did you take the fan off??

Andy
Post #58931 13th Feb 2011 10:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>