↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Dreadful Situation in West London
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
No speculation from me but thoughts and sympathies go out to all those affected. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #631368 14th Jun 2017 5:48pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
pjb wrote:

This is just a nightmare senario of advice to stay in your flat in the event of a fire coupled with a moving fire

Totally agree.
That advice no matter what is just crazy. My first thoughts would be to get out not stay in no matter what safety measures are in place to stop fire spreading. Obviously in this case whatever fire prevention was in place it did not work For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #631370 14th Jun 2017 5:53pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I know this is a Defender forum but at times of national disasters we are just people.

This fire involves many persons who have nothing; many were not insured because they could not afford to pay the premium.

Let’s just on this forum take a second to think what that must be like to lose everything.
Let’s us just for a second think what it must be like to lose your kids, wife, father or mother and everything you own.

We have all gone through over the last few weeks the horror of terrorism; we cannot legislate against those events.

But this tower fire we could it appears have prevented, but not with the present central government where cost is weighed against people’s lives.

I for one, I am ashamed that my taxes are given to those who unashamedly become rich where, and we all know that, like bankers, hedge fund managers who do not like us pay there fair share of taxes to make this land better and fairer. perhaps to those people lives do not matter.

Why, for because we have been told so that austerity will make everything better, it has not and if we continue to believe that we are idiots

I have seen through the press and various other mediums the proof of greed recently and those who over the last ten years have shown they do not really give a fu*k about you and me no matter what colour religion or belief we are and today many have perished some horribly though that ethos.

Today the upsetting scenes on TV that I have witnessed show the true events on what in the past few years we have voted for

Shame on the councillor’s and the ruling MP’s, in fact the lot of them.

Sorry members for the above, I may be wrong in my beliefs that recent events have formed, but I have been very moved by today’s events, and tears have been in my eyes thinking about the little children, grandads, grandmothers, mums and dads and all the people who may have had dreams of bettering themselves who have perished in this fire, and all of those who have suffered, I cannot help that.. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #631461 14th Jun 2017 11:56pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
^ Horse apples. This has no more root cause in party politics than it does in the height of the tide! If it is not found to have been deliberately set and therefore have been preventable, then at some point in the management of the facility someone has neglected their duties either by not organising removal of combustible materials or by not ordering repairs and maintenance of fire suppression systems or in some other way not acting on on information about a potential problem. This will be investigated as to how and why in due course. However trying to turn it into political capital before such an investigation is complete leaves a lot to be desired. In my opinion. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #631466 15th Jun 2017 5:08am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
Post #631491 15th Jun 2017 9:13am
dorsetsmith

time for independent engineers to check site and have not party politics play
Post #631497 15th Jun 2017 9:29am
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
A tragedy.
There is a prophetic blog about this building, the concerns of the residents and the problems with the K&C Tenant Management Org, along with a chillingly accurate prediction on;

www.grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com

Scroll down to "KCTMO playing with fire"
Post #631544 15th Jun 2017 12:08pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The unfortunate thing is, it takes a tragedy before anything is changed.

Wooden escalators on the Tube, Wooden Stands in Football - Bradford. Everyone knew there was a problem but it all seemed to be ok until of course it goes wrong.

I work in building design (not carrying out curtain walling I might add) and I think this tragedy will make a lot of changes in building designs and construction.
Post #631560 15th Jun 2017 1:03pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
That is the problem with contingencies and emergencies - many people dont want to invest in these things, because they are either costly, boring, not a priority or "it will never happen"

Plan for the worse, hope for the best Mike
Post #631585 15th Jun 2017 2:24pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
A long way from us in Aussie, but no less shocking.
This SHOULD be a wake up call to authorities to check builders/developers who take shortcuts in design/materials etc. This was a modern day "Towering Inferno" (ya've seen the Movie?).
And Whilst I'm no builder/architect etc, I'd be pretty confident that unfortunately, there would be buildings all over the world that are, "an accident waiting to happen".
I pass on my respects to anyone that has been affected.
Pickles.
Post #631742 16th Jun 2017 12:25am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I think possibly a lot of people are missing the point here about lack of investment and politics.

the politics may well have come into play but lets not forget many millions of pounds have been invested in this building so to my mind investment is not the issue. where the money was spent might be.

it would appear if £6M was invested that's approx. £50k per apartment - how much would it cost to have built a new budget home on cheap land somewhere else?

Add to that what that land is worth and maybe there might have been a better way to spend they money.
Post #631807 16th Jun 2017 1:07pm
mse

I dont know the specifics...however,

The block is probably owned by some form of tenant company or private company - i personally think all these companies should be back as local authority homes managed for the residents not the profit line

Central government has nothing to do with local government other than yet another set of cuts which screw everyone locally. Unfortunately the cuts that dont grab the headlines, that you dont see are things that dont help situations like this (eg putting blocking into private hands, having less money for rennovation or repairs etc).

There are a few simple answers to a lot of these things, but unfortunately, we have to change our collective outlook especially on whats important...people, not money. Mike
Post #631819 16th Jun 2017 2:34pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

"The tower was managed by Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO), the largest tenant management organisation (TMO) in England, on behalf of Kensington & Chelsea Council. The TMO has a board comprising eight residents, four Council-appointed members, and three independent members."
Post #631821 16th Jun 2017 2:41pm
mse

That sounds like one of the arms length companies - so not direct council affairs which is what im on about, its bad that councils havent been able to invest, build etc council housing because of restricted central government rules. Mike
Post #631827 16th Jun 2017 3:32pm
Lightningtweeds

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
This horror should have been avoided and should never happen again. Pull them all down Britain has the space there is no need for these towering crematoriums then or now.
Post #631829 16th Jun 2017 3:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>