↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Dreadful Situation in West London
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
You say Britain has the space, unfortunately people want to live in the city. Which has no space.
Post #631844 16th Jun 2017 5:07pm
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Like everything else, all's well when everything is going fine. When something like this happens though, it merely proves that the "method statements". the "risk analysis" documents, the public liability, the certificates of compliance and the rest of the mountains of paperwork are worth sweet f-all in the middle of the night when the building's well on.
Predictable and depressing media-friendly soundbites from the politicians, especially Khan, opportunistic TV appearances and tears from celebs, justifiable anger from those affected and some candlelit vigils.
The bottom line is, the place was a death trap and it's not the only one. What'll be done? An inquiry that makes a fortune for some legal firm or consultancy but accomplishes nothing but paper shuffling and elicits a few "here heres" from Westminster.

Odds on there'll be a new building, with apartments for sale from £1m, on the site in a few years.
Post #631850 16th Jun 2017 6:05pm
Lightningtweeds

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey

Click image to enlarge
Post #631919 17th Jun 2017 11:10am
David T

A shame that the protests have now been hi-jacked by Corbynites and the Momentum activists, dishing out Labour leaflets and canvassing for members at the gatherings. Naturally they hate the Tory landlords, and the recent blanket Tory vote against the changes to rental laws may come back to haunt them, but the far left conveniently ignore the fact that many Labour MP's draw large incomes from rental (except for Blair, who they hate almost as much as Tories, and his £27million property portfolio)
Sadiq Khan is'nt above receiving donations from large scale Social Housing concerns and I think, over the next few weeks, the lefty and righty press will be outing quite a few London landlord MP's
I hope that Theresa finally realises that she desperately needs to win back some public support. She can do that by quickly firing millions of £'s into the police force, counter terrorism and the fire&emergency services. Sacking Hunt and handing his successor a big cheque for the NHS would have been a smart move too. We'll see.

I see Lily Allen has now gone hi-profile with her outrage, she must have a new album due out. Next to start pushing to the front will be the likes of Izzard (new TV prog) Rylance (new play in the West End) and Bragg (going on tour)
Post #631934 17th Jun 2017 2:22pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
This whole sorry affair has been hijacked by the Loony Left, Momentum and all the other idiots who support Corbyn. It is a shame that May has not risen to the occasion , but is giving the left more propaganda, which will, if we are not careful, come back to bite us in the rear end.
The whole sorry mess has left the unfortunate people who were in the tower block being used as political pawns and they do not even see it.I have enormous empathy with those affected, but that does not help with the greater problems of fire regulations and red tape that drag these matters on for years
This administration, yet to be a representative government, in serious trouble and must not let us all down by not stepping up to the plate, showing some humanity and joining the rest of us in the real world. It is their last chance before we embark upon the downward spiral to total disaster that is Corbynism, from which I doubt that we would ever fully recover.
Thank God I am in my 70's, I would hate to be 30 today with all that entails, but vote for the devil and do not be surprised at what you get. Big Cry
Swine 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #631937 17th Jun 2017 3:26pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Not to distract anything away from the absolute disaster and tragedy that this fire has been, but why oh why do all of these 'famous people' suddenly appear giving their opinions, free issue to the press when, say, Miss Alan, is only famous for her Dad and a few rather unmemorable pop songs. I prefer opinions from fire experts, building experts etc.etc.etc.not an opinionated pop star who is getting over emotional. And why do the press listen to them?

Maybe some of these 'famous' people could house some of the homeless people in their multi level multi million pads which they own in London and never live in - not that that will ever happen. Thank goodness Ed Sheeran sent a tweet telling everyone to give money. I expect he has bit more than the rest of us to give. Most of these luvvies will probably either live abroad and / or have an expensive accountant employed so they don't have to pay much income tax, the same income tax that could be used to improve social housing, help the NHS, provide help to the third world, the same things they bleed on about at every opportunity.

Sorry, rant over - for now. My only get rich quick, tax saving scheme I operate is PAYE. Don't get me wrong, if I could pay less in some way, I would, but then I won't be preaching on TV, Twitter and Facebook telling the rest of you to give your money to the needy and desperate of this world.
Post #631954 17th Jun 2017 5:53pm
David T

Just seen this on Twitter

Click image to enlarge
Post #631957 17th Jun 2017 6:21pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Whenever I see Corbyn or any shadow Minister on the TV I sense a nasty smell around and am overcome with a compunction to keep on checking the soles of my shoes. Is this a natural reaction , it is often accompanied by a need to rush into the toilet and vomit. I think I may suffering from something called foresight, Oh Dear is it terminal? Question 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #631959 17th Jun 2017 6:30pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
David T wrote:
Just seen this on Twitter

Click image to enlarge

What a Surprise !!!!! Laughing 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #631960 17th Jun 2017 6:31pm
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:
Not to distract anything away from the absolute disaster and tragedy that this fire has been, but why oh why do all of these 'famous people' suddenly appear giving their opinions, free issue to the press when, say, Miss Alan, ..............

Amen to this!!
Post #631982 17th Jun 2017 8:13pm
David T

Seem to me that politics and politicians have dumbed-down to game show standards and that Simon Cowell could probably do a better job of running the country with Will-i-am as Chan-sellah of da X-Chekka 🤘🏾
Post #631996 17th Jun 2017 9:45pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Our country does indeed seem to be going that way David T

What we need is a good leader and not just either 1) the person the journalists decide is who they want 2) a leader who is good at one liners, baby kissing and photo opportunities or 3) both items 1 and 2 Shocked

We also need to take a minute to think about the grim job of searching that blackened shell for the remains of the deceased and the people carrying that search out. A horrible job compounded I expect by the extreme heat of this weekend.
Post #631999 17th Jun 2017 9:59pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
You need our Macron but you cant have him coz we like him. He makes us laugh Thumbs Up
Post #632017 18th Jun 2017 12:00am
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I do not think that Macron or anybody else could sort out some of the mess the UK seems to have keeping put itself into at the moments. Many people now looking at the place and feel confused to what is happening and why.
Post #632023 18th Jun 2017 1:05am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
The UK isnt so bad, but there are some deep issues that have been trundling away for 10 or 20 years - unfortunately no one is willing, or motivated to stop it. Its a big list at the heart of it, but not with an easy answer.

This is then compounded in the last few years by poor leadership, financial stress and cuts, consequences of individual agendas and the crazy position where vast chunks of people seem to believe a position which just doesnt exist (no matter how much is said over and over). Finally by a few forgetting morals and whats important in life, people... Mike
Post #632060 18th Jun 2017 10:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>