↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Microsoft Rant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Gonarezhou

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alaska White
Microsoft Rant
If anyone can complain about something being completely useless at a critical moment it has to be the C%*p produced by Microsoft! Nothing on the Landy touches the rubbish we have from them! ... "Sorry an unexpected error has occurred which has caused the program to shut down " ...... more like.... it was an expected error because Microsoft has no computing software skills!!

Apologies for the rant! Perhaps some will understand.
Post #623014 9th May 2017 10:16pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Yep, with you with that one. Took all my Microsoft products to the tip a long time ago and bought Apple.
Post #623018 9th May 2017 10:24pm
Gonarezhou

Oh I am on Apple (for a long time) but the Microsoft Dictatorship is powerful! We still need the Bill Gates software for business .... quite frankly he has us "by the short and curlies"!!!
Post #623024 9th May 2017 10:32pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
I'm totally Apple Mac in my company, instant boot up, few crashes, lightweight and battery lasts for over a day.

But 2 of my clients insist on me using their mircrodoft laptops, shoulder braking weight, battery life measured in minutes not days, boot up time is just longer than the time it takes to make a good mug of strong tea and 2 slices of toast, crashes 3 times per day with 10minutes reboot .... but I don't care I am hourly paid it's no problem I'm quite relaxed about watching their blue screens wilst I fill in my time sheet on my Apple Mac.

Windows computing is very like cars in the late 70's unreliable, poorly designed and sold by spotty kids or Spivs, but we still buy them!!!! 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #623028 9th May 2017 10:37pm
Gonarezhou

So the other day a mate of mine shows me his super fast Windows system...... I was asleep by the time it had finished its booting up and of course virus updates Rolling with laughter
Post #623032 9th May 2017 10:48pm
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I totally agree!
I have to use a Microsoft surface pro4 for work, sometimes I have to print documents and it never connects with my printer telling me that my printer is offline, so I have to email the document to myself on my own email address to my iPad and what do you think? Yup prints straight away, no problem 😈 The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Solihull, 1948 - "If we paint the chassis, it will last for years"
Solihull, 2015 - "If we paint the chassis.............................
Post #623038 9th May 2017 11:31pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
While windows often takes longer to shut down than Apple takes to boot up, I still think Apple design is on a very similar trajectory to M$ (has been for a while). Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #623057 10th May 2017 5:19am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #623058 10th May 2017 5:34am
Buz

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Barolo Black
I too have a MACBook Pro, special offer from work, download Microsoft Office for a tenner....seemed reasonable....until i swapped hard drive to a SSD, now it keeps asking me to activate Microsoft Office.....and as it was a special offer it loaded itself with no code to input!!
Funny thing is, all the Apple Software I had loaded on the old HD just 'works' now its on the SSD!
Post #623078 10th May 2017 8:37am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
OpenOffice is a good option, it's free and can read and write MS office formats.

I don't own a Windows computer anymore, use exclusively Apple Macs. Anything I have to use Windows for is done in a Virtualbox VM. Mainly that's for outdated car diagnostic software, parts catalogue software and one of the programming languages I use occasionally.

A lot of people don't like to use Macs because they can't mess with the hardware, the main advantage of Macs is that nobody can mess with the hardware ! You never get issues with incompatible drivers etc... due to incompatible hardware. The operating system boots quicker and runs quicker primarily because it doesn't have to try and cope with billions of possible hardware configurations.

There is a story that Steve Jobs once calculated that with 5 million users, shaving 10 seconds of the boot time would save 50 million seconds per day for their users which equated to several lifetimes per year. As a result, he tasked the engineering team to "make it happen". They managed to save 20 seconds off the boot time and it's been part of the Apple philosophy/culture ever since. Just think what that 10 seconds equates to in hours per day now that there are billions of computer users...

At the time it was probably more than that as those early Macs needed to be rebooted at least 3-4 times a day ! Nowadays my Macs only get rebooted once every couple of weeks although one of my Mac Minis hasn't been rebooted for 3 years Smile http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #623096 10th May 2017 11:41am
Procta

United Kingdom 
I think they really have changed their game since windows XP days, They are now starting to bully you now into switching to windows 10. Which is wrong in my eyes, when I studied windows XP and the server counter part, there was no forcing you into changing over from windows 98 to windows XP. Now they are just updating your systems with out you asking!
So I am not surprised a lot of people are getting errors now with windows stuff now. They have even made it harder now for windows 7/ Windows 8 users for getting updates, by disabling the links on their site for these operating systems. Service pack 1 for windows 7 took some looking for I tell you!
My Microsoft lecture said that the windows update is your friend, that's the only thing I disagree with him on, Ever installation I have done, I have disabled this feature, and guess what, no troubles at all. I have sorted out systems before and its all been to do with the updates causing trouble!
If you want windows 10 to work spot on, then you really need a heavy system to run it, something with 8 gig of ram min and bin off their last internet explorer too, that's just a major memory leak.
Also you can switch off the windows update feature too, even though a few people say you cannot.
To me now, I think Microsoft are very, very worried now that they are losing the war with apple, after all most stuff is now apple, where 10 years ago it was practically Microsoft.
For the note, I still love windows XP, its just sad that everyone now has stopped supporting it for use, just like they did with windows 2000 and NT4. So sometimes I do think that some of their early and older stuff was the best. Bar windows 98/ME, Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #623131 10th May 2017 1:32pm
Gonarezhou

I like your last point on Windows Millenium edition ...... I have a whole heap of photographs that I cannot access because ME changed the Jpeg format to a ME format and nothing can read it! At the time I had no idea it was doing it Shocked
Post #623163 10th May 2017 4:23pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
For work I use a tiny, high spec Windows 10 HP laptop, light as a feather, bulletproof OS and I can't fault it. It gets worked hard too. I think many people compare cheap windows laptops with significantly more expensive apple products and expect the same levels of reliability and performance. Outside work I use Acer chromebooks (one big, one little) which are brilliantly cheap, reliable and instantly boot. They also last 12 hours on a charge.

I wouldn't touch another apple product if you paid me, not phones, laptops or desktops. Had a Powerbook a decade ago and regretted it almost immediately. I don't like single source suppliers.
Post #623250 10th May 2017 9:49pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Gonarezhou wrote:
I like your last point on Windows Millenium edition ...... I have a whole heap of photographs that I cannot access because ME changed the Jpeg format to a ME format and nothing can read it! At the time I had no idea it was doing it Shocked

When I used to fix systems, and Windows ME was about, I wouldn't touch it. One lass I used to work with had nothing but bother with it getting it to link to the internet. I said would you like me to just upgrade it to windows XP. Sure enough all was well with the world after wards. They said it was the best thing I had done and their computers were more faster than before!
What my Microsoft lecture told me about Windows ME, it was a substitute until windows 2000 was ready for launch, and I think that's what they did with windows Vista until windows 7 was ready. In the class we watched a preview of windows Vista before it came out, and I tell you lads to this day, I recon it was windows 8.
I know they went back to the drawing board again with windows Vista, hence windows 7. Which I think was based on the original idea, ( built on the windows XP platform). Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #623299 10th May 2017 11:55pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Thon wrote:
For work I use a tiny, high spec Windows 10 HP laptop, light as a feather, bulletproof OS and I can't fault it. It gets worked hard too. I think many people compare cheap windows laptops with significantly more expensive apple products and expect the same levels of reliability and performance. Outside work I use Acer chromebooks (one big, one little) which are brilliantly cheap, reliable and instantly boot. They also last 12 hours on a charge.

I wouldn't touch another apple product if you paid me, not phones, laptops or desktops. Had a Powerbook a decade ago and regretted it almost immediately. I don't like single source suppliers.

It is a strong Operating system, I agree with you on that one and even windows 8 wasn't bad at all. I think the key is, people didn't like change, it happened with windows 3.x to windows 95, then windows 2000 to windows XP.
Another bomb proof OS is windows 2000, and windows XP after you installed service pack 3 on it. I found Windows NT4 just worked for me, it was the 1st operating system that I got managed to network on my own! That was with out the college at the time! Smile reason I played with the older stuff at the time, was in case I came across it, but sadly I never could get into the field. I still do enjoy tinkering on with the old stuff Wink Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #623300 11th May 2017 12:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>