↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Microsoft Rant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Procta wrote:
ARC99 they said the same thing about Linux based servers, that cannot be hacked that easy etc, but if you get someone who knows Linux then its just a matter of a few commands and that's it the full lot goes down, where at least with Microsoft stuff it will at least give a bit of a fight. [...]

Sorry but that sentence about Linux servers being so easy to defeat is complete nonsense.

Linux is notoriously way more secure and robust than windows due to its design, but obviously sysadmins need to know their stuff and keep the systems they're in charge up to date with security fixes. That holds true with any operating system. “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #626214 23rd May 2017 8:09am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Procta wrote:
... best firewall is not to be plugged in ...

Hmm, that didn't stop Stuxnet.

All systems are vulnerable, some more so than others. No different to Defender security really. Whilst I broadly agree with the statement that the end user is the weak point, in my experience ignorant system admin (particularly by people who are convinced with an almost religious fervour that they know more than anyone else) is often a bigger vulnerability.

As an example. I have come across many organisations which enforce a password policy which is so complex that users are compelled to write down their passwords, the result being a system less secure than would be achieved by a more appropriate password policy.
Post #626215 23rd May 2017 8:13am
Procta

United Kingdom 
o4dn wrote:
Procta wrote:
ARC99 they said the same thing about Linux based servers, that cannot be hacked that easy etc, but if you get someone who knows Linux then its just a matter of a few commands and that's it the full lot goes down, where at least with Microsoft stuff it will at least give a bit of a fight. [...]

Sorry but that sentence about Linux servers being so easy to defeat is complete nonsense.

Linux is notoriously way more secure and robust than windows due to its design, but obviously sysadmins need to know their stuff and keep the systems they're in charge up to date with security fixes. That holds true with any operating system.

Yeah Linux is more secure, but like I said if you get someone who knows their stuff with it, but then again there are a far few versions out there. Also there is another question how often does it get hacked? and how many cooperate companies use it to get targeted?
When I was doing the A+ for computers, Windows 2000 was on the ball then, one of the lads had his own server that he would remote log into at college. God knows what that lad used to read, because he used to try it out on the windows 2000 based network we had at the time. Which caused some right old problems to the point where they suspended his account and kicked him off the course.

UNIX I know is used in our university, Also I think asda might have used a version of Novel netware too.
your correct about that mind, if the administrators don't lock down and keep stuff up to scratch then your asking for trouble. I was told once in my Microsoft class that some companies do bring back older versions of Operating systems for some tasks due to the age of it and no one really writing hacks for it. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!

Last edited by Procta on 24th May 2017 12:16am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #626501 24th May 2017 12:03am
Procta

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Procta wrote:
... best firewall is not to be plugged in ...

Hmm, that didn't stop Stuxnet.

All systems are vulnerable, some more so than others. No different to Defender security really. Whilst I broadly agree with the statement that the end user is the weak point, in my experience ignorant system admin (particularly by people who are convinced with an almost religious fervour that they know more than anyone else) is often a bigger vulnerability.

As an example. I have come across many organisations which enforce a password policy which is so complex that users are compelled to write down their passwords, the result being a system less secure than would be achieved by a more appropriate password policy.

Yeah it does get silly mind with the password side of things, it was like that with my Microsoft courses, all down to the policy in place. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #626502 24th May 2017 12:14am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
People take the wonderfully secure Linux OS - then they install Wordpress Whistle
Post #626521 24th May 2017 7:30am
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Procta wrote:
Yeah Linux is more secure, but like I said if you get someone who knows their stuff with it, but then again there are a far few versions out there.

Far fewer versions of... Linux? There are thousands, Linux is everywhere, in your dashcam, in your phone, in your TV, in your internet router, everywhere... Not to mention the hundreds of Linux distributions that you can chose from if you want to try Linux on your computer (distrowatch)

Procta wrote:
Also there is another question how often does it get hacked? and how many cooperate companies use it to get targeted?

Linux is said (PCnet) to be more secure because of its development model, Open Source, where a lot of different people can check and review the code, the more eyes the better.

Linux is widely adopted by large companies all around the world to run their infrastructures (that includes Banks or even NYSE), I do not think these guys would take security lightly...

Sure, Linux is far from being widely adopted on the consumer desktop (wikipedia) where the market is pretty much locked up by Microsoft and Apple (yet, let's not forget that Chromebooks run Linux and all Android devices) but it's commonly found in the Enterprise IT and is growing faster than Windows in the cloud (zdnet) and is running more than 99% of super computers in the world.

Companies such as IBM, Intel, Oracle, Samsung, etc. all invest in Linux and Open Source (they all are members of the Linux Foundation, even Microsoft is a member of the Linux Foundation and is now advocating for Open Source, who would have thought...)

BTW, ever wondered what this site here is running? Hint, ask netcraft ... Smile

(Disclaimer, I've been running Linux as my only OS on all my computers since 1994, I might be slightly biased...) “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #626532 24th May 2017 8:29am
Procta

United Kingdom 
That was a miss type on my part, it should have said for more lol, I was typed something else, but changed it.

Never knew it had reached this far, I thought everything was practically apple based rather than Linux based.
I know IBM switched to a version called Red Hat. After the days of OS2 and I think sun systems use a version or even unix?

My Microsoft lecture told me, when was teaching windows 2000, and a two bank system administrators were in his class. They said the policies are very strict, if you had to create a user account, it had be done a certain way, IE using the command prompt. But that was 10 years ago now, so it will have changed no doubt.

I don't think your biased at all, in fact I think its great to hear someone using Linux instead of the mighty windows stuff.
Only thing that bites me with it is the support for the desktop side of things, that might explain the lock out for it.
But i think it will only be a matter of time really, before that changes. I cannot really see how far Microsoft can go now, Apple i recon has beaten them now. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #626575 24th May 2017 12:52pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Exactly....

I think he said " there are a far few versions...." meaning there are lots and he is correct.

However, on the whole, Linux and UNIX sysadmins are generally security savvy and it's accepted practice to only use the root account for those tasks that need it. In fact in some cases you can't login as root by default and have to su to root in order to get elevated privileges. Nothing to stop you staying there but generally it's not the done thing.

Compare that to the number of people that run Windows machines with admin rights all the time and the numbers are massively different.

Most of the world runs its web servers on Linux with Apache so there is plenty to go at and have a big impact....

Edit: My post was in response to O4dn but I wasn't quick enough Smile
Post #626581 24th May 2017 1:20pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Procta wrote:
That was a miss type on my part, it should have said for more lol, I was typed something else, but changed it.

Never knew it had reached this far, I thought everything was practically apple based rather than Linux based.
I know IBM switched to a version called Red Hat. After the days of OS2 and I think sun systems use a version or even unix?

My Microsoft lecture told me, when was teaching windows 2000, and a two bank system administrators were in his class. They said the policies are very strict, if you had to create a user account, it had be done a certain way, IE using the command prompt. But that was 10 years ago now, so it will have changed no doubt.

I don't think your biased at all, in fact I think its great to hear someone using Linux instead of the mighty windows stuff.
Only thing that bites me with it is the support for the desktop side of things, that might explain the lock out for it.
But i think it will only be a matter of time really, before that changes. I cannot really see how far Microsoft can go now, Apple i recon has beaten them now.

I'm not trying to be funny but I think your previous comments about Linux and its security is clearly coming from a point of very little knowledge...
Post #626584 24th May 2017 1:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123