↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Grease with ease.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Just reading though various threads and see I obviously didn't make a bad choice choosing the Castrol LM in the end.
I never read this before but chose it anyway and lo and behold most of you use the same one too. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #710526 2nd Jun 2018 11:37pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
blackwolf wrote:
There are only six, assuming that your vehicle has all the nipples it should. Many vehicles left the factory with fewer than 6 nipples, and there have been various service actions about replacing propshafts if your vehicle is deficient in the nipple department, but it is doubtful anything will have been done unless you've asked.

Each propshaft should have three nipples, one on each UJ and one on the splined extensible coupling (this is the one most commonly not fitted).

The correct way to grease them is:-

1. Disconnect propshaft flanges from gearbox/axle (or at least one end of propshaft)
  2. Clean nipples
  3. For each nipple in turn, inject a couple of shots of grease with greasegun whilst articulating the joint to distribute lubricant
  4. Wipe off any surplus grease
  5. Reattach propshaft

It is easier if you raise one wheel of each axle in turn very slightly off the ground so that you can rotate the propshaft when either greasing or unbolting it.

Emboldened by the valuable information above, I decided I’d have a go at doing mine today. It was a bit tricky dealing with the fasteners even with the special prop shaft tool but with a little patience and perseverance I got there.

Coincidentally, I’m slightly puzzled by the 3 handed grease gun references? Unless the nozzle of the guns used are not the collet type? My grease gun is a normal standard size cartridge gun. With these, before first use, you just need to experiment with the nozzle setting, screwing it in or out until the tension is set. Then with slight downward pressure, the nozzle clicks onto the nipple and happily remains there as grease is pumped. A gentle pull at an angle and the gun nozzle detaches from the nipple. Job done and with only 2 hands Laughing

Anyway, I’m indebted to Blackwolf and many others here who take the time and trouble to pass on advice and guidance on so many aspects of Land Rover ownership and maintenance . Thank you all. Thumbs Up
Post #750108 8th Jan 2019 11:57pm
MC84

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Chawton White
If I'm going to replace blocked nipples, without going to look now (At work and its dark!) should I be ordering long or short ones?

Thanks Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Mike

Hard Top 90 TD5 2001
Ford 100e 1959
www.youtube.com/mikemakesit
Post #751322 14th Jan 2019 11:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234