↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Paint sprayer-domestic/professional- any experience?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Paint sprayer-domestic/professional- any experience?
Hi
I am looking for a paint sprayer. Each year we have a lot of painting to do here.
Some of it is creosote type of painting ( some are water based & some oil based) in areas without any power.
I intend to use a Honda inverter generator as my power supply.
I also need to paint our house with an external type of masonry paint.

Budget is probably around £200-£300 for the sprayer.
Any ideas as to what works & what to avoid?

On the generator front ;Honda do two small generators ; a 1kw or a 2kw - any views on these or an alternative?
TIA
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #836931 13th Jun 2020 7:58am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
We have a Graco Ultramax cordless, A Graco 495 and a Graco Turboforce and all of these are specific for certain jobs except the ultramax which is, if i'm honest, abit of an odd one out as you never really want to use it unless you really have to.

Above all of those expensive sprayers, the Wagner Project Pro 119 is the most versatile, hard working sprayer we've still got. We've used it for everything and it still keeps going. It's sprayed out huge areas of wall with every conceivable paint you can throw at it, however be careful with masonary paint in any sprayer as it can be a bitch to the internals. Keeping everything clean and using diluted coats is key with Masonary paints. Different spray tips give different results, so do your homework, but if you get stuck, just holler me.

You can pick up second hand Wagner's for well within your budget and don't be sucked into buying something from B&Q, it really isn't worth it.
Very Happy
Post #836945 13th Jun 2020 9:14am
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
http://www.wagnerprojectpro.co.uk/wagner-h...unted.html

What about the Wagner Pro at £399 inc vat ( I am vat rated) OR am I better in getting a Pro119 ?

Still learning about the different features Rolling Eyes

I see what you mean about Masonry paint but until you actually use one it is difficult to know which can handle that paint and those which really can't.
Post #836961 13th Jun 2020 11:18am
Badger110

That one is the updated version of the Project Pro.

Assisted airless is the daddy on all air sprayers ( using compressors ) and Wagner have got halfway there with their HEA system by using less air to atomise the paint.

I've never used their HEA system as we tend to stick with Graco ( we got a deal with them ) but if it's an advancement on the project pro, you will get good results Thumbs Up

Any professional sprayer will handle masonary or thicker paints, it is just down to working out the best mix to use.

Masonary can be a pain when mixed with water as it seperates in your bucket and needs constant mixing to keep it together, but it's certainly workable.
Post #836965 13th Jun 2020 11:48am
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Badger;My Wagner 250M arrived today & l actually read the manual a number of times before trying to spray my new workshop with a white Matt emulsion which l had already done a coat with using a roller.
Some bits have worked out fairly ok & others not so good.
I am rapidly learning that there is a bit more to spraying than meets the eye.
Any suggested videos to watch to help me learn a bit more?
Cheers
Post #837886 17th Jun 2020 8:05pm
Badger110

Good news on your new kit!

A tip I would give you is to practice with just water on scrap cardboard. Set up your sprayer with a bucket of clean water instead of paint and test your spray patterns & methods of working on this. You;ll see how the gun reacts to the way in which you hold and move it as well get used to the feel of using the sprayer with a hose attached without worrying about wasting paint or learning the hard way.

I don’t have any particular videos to recommend as there are so many of them telling you the same thing, but if you have a specific area you want some advice I can try and help Very Happy
Post #837949 17th Jun 2020 11:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1