↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > the mother of all bombs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
the mother of all bombs
Tonight 14/04/17 America has used this weapon it is hard to get a head round why they should do so. I.S is evil we know this, but the blast range must mean many innocent people were caught up in it.

'The mother of all bombs', the largest non-nuclear bomb ever used.
It is a huge weapon - a 30ft (9m), 21,600lb (9,800kg), GPS-guided munition that is dropped from the cargo doors of an MC-130 transport plane and detonates shortly before it hits the ground.

The MOAB falls from the aircraft on a pallet, which is then tugged aside by a parachute allowing the weapon to glide down, stabilised and directed by four grid-like fins.

Its principle effect is a massive blast wave - said to stretch for a mile in every direction - created by 18,000lb of TNT.

The bomb's thin aluminium casing was designed specifically to maximise the blast radius.

Oh dear and this is Easter, the time when we should contemplate and wonder what man can do and has done and think how we can make things better.

As the saying goes we live in difficult times. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #616689 14th Apr 2017 12:53am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
It seems to be a very small and easily rationalised step from there to something more vigorous. Not cool. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #616697 14th Apr 2017 7:21am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
It's the same as a daisy cutter which they used in Vietnam and Iraq, it's a psychological weapon more than anything. Didn't win them Vietnam, won't win them Afghanistan.

I think it's posturing more than anything, beating their chest at Russia/China/North Korea. 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top

Last edited by Kit on 14th Apr 2017 7:48am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #616702 14th Apr 2017 7:45am
dioliahary

Scotland 
Not to be the merchant of doom, but the path the world is taking is not good, we are capable of destroying mankind and we may prove that. Crying shame.
Post #616703 14th Apr 2017 7:47am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Mankind has been perfectly capable of destroying itself for a long time, I think the tipping balance will be once one side feels capable of defending itself against a massive missile strike retaliation. 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #616704 14th Apr 2017 7:50am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Well I'm off green laning with my phone switched off...ignorance is bliss! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #616713 14th Apr 2017 8:30am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Aggression/Wars,....of any kind are not good.
If the World had acted against Hitler prior to 1939(and there were plenty that wanted to), perhaps WW11 may have been averted,....who knows.
Today, whether you like it or not, there is a MASSIVE threat frrom N. Korea. If the lunatic in charge of that Country gets the ability to launch nukes at the U.S., or indeed anywere else in the World, He might just be the guy to do it,....a frightening thought.....I wouldn't wanna see that.
Even this guy's' major ally China is telling him to back off. Problem is, all that He's got, to talk to his "desciples" about is Bombs & Missiles,.....if He hasn't got that, then He's got nothing,.....so to save face, He may just keep going,..."all or nothing" sort of thing.
I don't care how N. Korea is stopped, I just want the threat gone,...preferably of course by peaceful means, but if N.Korea keeps going with its testing & tests another Nuke, then I reckon the U.S. will do something.....I don't want it to happen, but if N.Korea gets the right technology, none of us will be safe.
And guys, no need for any "aggro" in this thread, as can sometimes happen with this sort of topic. This is simply my opinion on a very important issue, so I welcome anybody's opinion, no matter how opposite it may be to mine, providing all are, as mine is, of a respectful nature.
Pickles.
Post #616716 14th Apr 2017 8:34am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
Let's hope we get to drive the new defender before the end of the world! 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #616723 14th Apr 2017 8:55am
Pickles

I reckon the North Korea "ïssue" will be "resolved" (I don't know how!) well before that.
Pickles.
Post #616735 14th Apr 2017 9:51am
leeds

United Kingdom 
There are many different things going on here.

A leader which is having issues/problems/lack of support from their followers/citizens then one 'solution' is to 'distract/unify' your supporters/citizens. This can be done by trying to solve a problem/issue outside the leaders group/country which will unify your supporters against the external enemy.

Now big boys like to play with their 'toys' now are the military any different from other boys who have not played with their 'toys'?

Now the USA since WW2 has considered themselves the policeman of the world.

Now throw an erratic US president who is losing support in the US, with the need to unify the citizens of the US against external enemies, the concept that he is the worlds top policeman, has a desire to play with the 'toys' at his disposal with minimal risk to US service personnel then the world is entering a new 'interesting' times.

Brendan
Post #616753 14th Apr 2017 10:45am
Pickles

G'Day Brendan, & I remember my comment, "respect", so you have mine.
Ërratic'?...yep, I know what you mean......but IMHO, that ain't the most important issue facing the WORLD.
On the one hand, ya've got a loose canon in N. Korea threatening the western world, & all that that means (to me anyway), and on the other hand ya've got yes, another loose cannon, promising to protect those values (my values) in the world that I'm lucky enough to live in.
If N.Korea launches another missile or detonates another nuke,& a conflict ensues, I know whose side I'm on, ..if Trump decides to act.
Pickles.
Post #616759 14th Apr 2017 11:11am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
As far as I read it was a good move. Did what it had to do, blow more than 90 of those ISIS disease out of their tunnels and caves, and apparently no civilians were hit. About time that someone would try to really erradicate that misery from this globe, until now not enough is being done against those b@st@rds beheading innocent people and terrorizing Europe, N.Africa/Near-East. My wife was at Brussels airport when the bombs exploded there little more than a year ago exactly one floor higher than where she was walking at that very moment. During the evacuation she has seen the damage to innocent people that that tug is inflicting. You guys in the UK still had a most recent event, more are to come if nothing is done more drastically. So I am in favor of hitting them as hard as we can, and being Easter is a totally irrelevant consideration actually.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw

Last edited by ericvv on 15th Apr 2017 7:57am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #616803 14th Apr 2017 5:39pm
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have been to a visit in North Korea. I only saw things that they wanted me to see but at the same time I saw that they are very strange but also polite people who imagine that American citizens are oppressed by ruthless leaders and they would like to help free the Americans. It was clear for me that they have no opportunity to win in a war with any another country. I hope there are no bombs.

Léo
Post #616812 14th Apr 2017 6:43pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
It is quite a bit of kit.

I love military kit, it is by far the coolest stuff on the planet in terms of capability.

This weapon is amazing, not the most powerful (the Russians have a bigger one Whistle) But surely we could have put that much thought into something more helpful?

I just wish that we had better uses for it, Imagine the military hardware but used for humanitarian work? More like Thunderbirds than political point scoring at the cost of human and animal life.

Everyone always forgets about animals caught up in conflict, makes me sad. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #616815 14th Apr 2017 6:54pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Pickles, I am no fan of the I S. and if they are eliminated so be it.

Now the IS have not carried out major attacks in the US, they may claim that actions by single individuals in the US is down to their 'soldiers' but that would be open to question.

Now will the dropping of the MOAB in Afghanistan result in major attacks on U.S soil by I. S. Or will they claim any violent offence in the US as being one of their 'soldiers'

US fired 5 cruise misses at Syria. Will Syria take military action against the U S? In my many NCAA doubtful.

Now the if the US takes military action against North Korea, could North Korea take effective military action against US soil? In my opinion doubtful. Against the US navy? Possibly however that fleet is likely to be well prepared.

Most likely response is an attack on South Korea which means innocent citizens will suffer.

Response by China???

Now another big potential flashpoint is the China South Seas.

Brendan
Post #616885 14th Apr 2017 10:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>