↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > the mother of all bombs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
G'Day Brendan, from Aussie.
The problem is, not what N. Korea has NOW, but what it will have in the future, if it's not stopped now.
And what it will have in the future is intercontinental nuclear missiles which can threaten all of the world.
It can't do so now, 'cause it ain't got the capacity, and Trump doesn't want 'em to get it, neither does China, so hopefully China can intervene.
Like I said, I don't like ANY Wars etc,...my parents were in England during WW11, so I was brought up with the horrors of war.
However, if there is going to be some drama between the U.S. and N.Korea, I'd rather it happen now, rather than when N.Korea has the ability to start sending nuclear missiles everywhere.
Pickles.
Post #616891 14th Apr 2017 10:43pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Pickles, yes I understand your concerns about N Korea.

I am not sure if the 'best' solution is for the US to take action against N Korea or if China should take action.

Now if US takes action will N Korea retaliate against say S Korea or send missiles Japan or Australia way?

Will China still support N Korea in the event of an attack or will they respond against US facilities in that area?

I can see China militarising the S China Sea in the event of an attack on N Korea which will raise tensions even higher with Vietnam, Philippines and other countries in the region.

Biggest problem I think is how weak and ineffective the UN is with a single member of the security council able to block any action. Think of Russia and Syria.

What will be the solution I do not know!

Brendan
Post #616921 15th Apr 2017 8:35am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
shaggydog wrote:
It is quite a bit of kit.

I love military kit, it is by far the coolest stuff on the planet in terms of capability.

This weapon is amazing, not the most powerful (the Russians have a bigger one Whistle) But surely we could have put that much thought into something more helpful?

I just wish that we had better uses for it, Imagine the military hardware but used for humanitarian work? More like Thunderbirds than political point scoring at the cost of human and animal life.

Everyone always forgets about animals caught up in conflict, makes me sad.

Shaggy -
the media always make mistakes and build up the event to make a major news article ...
the bomb used in this conflict was not a big as the ones used in 1945 during WW2 by 617 squadron - called the 'Grand Slam' - ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(bomb) Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #616925 15th Apr 2017 9:12am
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
I used to think Randy Newman's "Drop The Big One" was funny but, if you listen to the lyrics now, it might just be President Trump's fave tune.
Post #616946 15th Apr 2017 10:47am
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Re: the mother of all bombs
gilarion wrote:
The MOAB falls from the aircraft on a pallet, which is then tugged aside by a parachute allowing the weapon to glide down, stabilised and directed by four grid-like fins.

Sounds dangerous, having a pallet free falling to the ground. You don't know who it might hurt. Rolling Eyes

Seems to me that Trump is on a steep learning curve in the intricacies of foreign affairs. I hope the world can be patient while he figures it out.
Post #617001 15th Apr 2017 3:19pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
/\ you're right the pallet could do some real damage but imagine if the bomb failed to detonate, at 10,000 Ibs if that landed on you it would probably do more damage than the pallet.

it's a dangerous world out there.

Sheep
Post #617056 15th Apr 2017 8:11pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
[quote="leeds"]Hi Pickles, yes I understand your concerns about N Korea.

I am not sure if the 'best' solution is for the US to take action against N Korea or if China should take action.

Now if US takes action will N Korea retaliate against say S Korea or send missiles Japan or Australia way?

Will China still support N Korea in the event of an attack or will they respond against US facilities in that area?

I can see China militarising the S China Sea in the event of an attack on N Korea which will raise tensions even higher with Vietnam, Philippines and other countries in the region.

Biggest problem I think is how weak and ineffective the UN is with a single member of the security council able to block any action. Think of Russia and Syria.

What will be the solution I do not know!

Brendan[/quote
]Agree with you 100%,....particularly with respect to the U.N......"Toothless Tiger", IMHO. Prime example was last week when it was proposed that a formal U.N. investigation be conducted on the Syrian gas issue,...vetoed by Russia (I wonder why?!) so no action!...can't see the U.N. being of any use in anything while that Veto rule is in place.
Regards, Pickles.
Post #617089 15th Apr 2017 10:20pm
Blfarrar

United Kingdom 
New on here...
I saw the link to the detail of the MOAB some time back
It isn't the let go & it goes where it wants...
It's guided.
http://www.chonday.com/Videos/mother-of-all-bombs
Post #617128 16th Apr 2017 4:38am
IanW

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Regarding the lack of civilian casualties - hopefully accurate, but I remember the apocryphal US comment from Vietnam - 'If they're dead they must be Cong'. One wife - livid
Post #617175 16th Apr 2017 9:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12