↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Help me find my perfect Series!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Spectre

United Kingdom 
Help me find my perfect Series!
Hi guys!

Not too knowledgeable on the Series, yet!

I want one of the early Series I, maybe a 48, 49. 80"?

Or is it worth going for a later 86"?

Looking for a non-restored. Something that runs, solid underneath and some patina.

Where do I find my dream Series!? What should I budget and why is it not in my garage?

Looking forward to comments and advice.
Post #616655 13th Apr 2017 9:22pm
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
If you want an original early Series 1, then you need to budget £15k plus for one in rough condition but on the road. At the other end of the spectrum, a fully restored 1948 models are reaching £45k and over in some cases.

80"ers are good for pottering around in, but if you want to use one a little more regularly, a later 86" or 88" model are a lot more comfortable, cheaper and easier to find parts and just a little more 'usable' with the extra power of the 2l engine and 'red lever' transfer box. The values are far less than the early stuff and you get a lot more for your money, with pretty much the same character and enjoyment level. Thumbs Up Expect to budget between £10 - 15k for a good, original spec vehicle ready to go. Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #616661 13th Apr 2017 9:35pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Top tip, join the LRSOC
Get to know a few people who have them, talk to them, look at them to get a feel what's good and bad.
There are plenty out there, try to drive one, you may not even like it!!!

I would say most decent series 1s get sold through enthusiasts, EBay is awash with Censored buyer beware!

prices are very high for good ones at the moment, so expect to pay top dollar on a decent one.

Good luck, if I hear anything I will let you know..... Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #616667 13th Apr 2017 9:52pm
Spectre

United Kingdom 
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info.

It has to be an early one and the 80". The rarer the better, and the more simple the better, i.e. no indicators or sidelights, the below would be ideal!

Not too fused about comfort, power or driveability!

I want something rare that I can pass down to my children and drive from time to time (albeit short journeys).

Will join LRSOC now.

Ian - please do keep me posted.

Post #616674 13th Apr 2017 10:31pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I have promised myself a patinated 80" for my 40th next year. No fancy sports cars Mr. Green Mr. Green Rolling with laughter

The club site is good but as previously mentioned, the members hold the knowledge of what is selling and what's not. That one in the picture looks well. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #616696 14th Apr 2017 7:06am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Spectre, the photo of the 80in TFF250 was the one I had up to about 3 years ago. The most original Series 1 I have ever owned, everything was matching numbers. I'm sort of sorry I sold it but to be honest it never really got used; they are not very practical and only suitable for bumbling around in and I have my original 86in for that. I think you would need a lot of money to buy that vehicle today Shocked
Post #616750 14th Apr 2017 10:38am
defender9

By the way Spectre, they all had side lights just that the earlier 80in had them in the bulkhead rather than the wings Thumbs Up
Post #616752 14th Apr 2017 10:42am
Spectre

United Kingdom 
Thanks, you're right, after quite a few hours of research, scanning through photos and watching some videos on youtube I have gained a bit more knowledge.

So it has to be one the early Series I, 48-50. Has to be original, non-restored and numbers matching

Where do I find my Series!
Post #616771 14th Apr 2017 12:42pm
Spectre

United Kingdom 
Oh and to add, has to have lights behind the grille!
Post #616772 14th Apr 2017 12:42pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
PCA42 wrote:
If you want an original early Series 1, then you need to budget £15k plus for one in rough condition but on the road. At the other end of the spectrum, a fully restored 1948 models are reaching £45k and over in some cases.

80"ers are good for pottering around in, but if you want to use one a little more regularly, a later 86" or 88" model are a lot more comfortable, cheaper and easier to find parts and just a little more 'usable' with the extra power of the 2l engine and 'red lever' transfer box. The values are far less than the early stuff and you get a lot more for your money, with pretty much the same character and enjoyment level. Thumbs Up Expect to budget between £10 - 15k for a good, original spec vehicle ready to go.

100% agree with this 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #616776 14th Apr 2017 1:22pm
defender9

There are quite a few that have been repatriated from Australia by a few companies, see Ebay, virtually all of them need significant work but generally they have good bulkheads and chassis, which is a key factor. Some may be matching numbers but I think many will have had some major mechanical component/s changed. Finding all the correct bits can be an interesting challenge and quite expensive. Original unmolested early 80's are very thin on the ground and even in rough condition will command a high price these days. If you know little about Series 1's especially the early versions I would try to enlist the help of someone who is more knowledgeable. Good luck with your search. Thumbs Up
Post #616807 14th Apr 2017 6:30pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Mirroring the above comment ^^^^

All those flooding the market on EBay are not that great, I know a few people who have gone to look at them and they are simply not cost effective to put right,

There are a few chancers (like the diesel truck cab on EBay) who think a quick blow over, painted cappings to tidy it up make a £45k motor!
They don't....

As said the EBay Imports have solid chassis and bulkheads but that's about it!
Most Australian motors had their engines swapped with different ones, and all have had a very hard life!
Loosing many of their original parts along the way.

I can honestly say I've not seen a good honest genuine series 1 on EBay for a while now?

Personally I wouldn't go chasing 48s now, these change Hands in the cover of darkness using a special hand shake, with eye watering price tags.
Even diehard enthusiasts wait an awful long time for one to come along, generally when they do they can't afford it Shocked
I know someone who has just brought a 48 that's been used for trials, he is planning on a resto, it's going to take very deep pockets, and quite a few years of part searching, I told him I don't envy him one bit!

What is your budget? That would help to give you a rough idea of what to look for.

You need to find one with a good chassis, chassis are N/A this is a hurdle many people fall at.
The club were reproducing them until recently, but that's all come to a sticky end over drawings/legal issues,
This story is heard so many times, where people find one get all excited only to find it needs chassis and bulkhead!
If you can't weld, or can't find someone who can, then it's a non starter.

Budget £2500 for a decent bulkhead, there are cheaper ones but you get what you pay for!
My advise is not to buy a wreck! Parts are getting tricky to obtain, and the cost has taken the fun away somewhat.

If your budget is healthy there are some nice 49ers changing hands behind the scenes,
Seriously if your looking, take someone that knows the 80" inside out, there were so many changes in the early years,
i still think the best production year was 52/53 they had got everything just right on them, this then went on to make way for the 86" which are a joy to drive.

I am actually seriously thinking of letting one of mine go at the moment, just purely for the money they are fetching,
I brought my 52 80" a few years ago just before the values started climbing, It would break my heart to let it go, but when you think of the money that's involved, it could be one of the best financial moves I've ever made!
I don't like thinking like that, because I'm passionate about them, but sometimes you have to do the sensible thing?...
I don't think they can keep going up like they have been?

The words "1990s E Type price crash" springs to mind.......... Whistle

Good luck with the search, I will look forward to seeing what you find.

(There was a nice 80" lights behind fire truck for sale in the club recently)
It was up for a very realistic price too..... 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #616845 14th Apr 2017 8:15pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Great post 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #616937 15th Apr 2017 10:23am
defender9

I agree wholeheartedly with Ian's comments above. The Australian ones would be ok at a little over half the price they are advertised at IMO given the price of second hand parts. I value the 80in ones (as parts) for sale thus -

Good second hand bulkhead and chassis £3K - £3.5K
Two axles in unknown condition £500
Engine in unknown condition £500 - £750
Gearbox unknown condition £300
Steering box, props and other mics parts in unknown condition £400
Some bashed about bodywork £500

There was a dealer recently who had a matching numbers 1953 80in on Ebay at no reserve which looked pretty complete which made just over £5K which I thought was pretty good but it still needed a full rebuild.

The Australian ones will have had shipping and import costs added so add that plus original purchase cost in Australia and a profit for the dealer then you may well be up to close on £9-10K asking price.
Post #616956 15th Apr 2017 11:26am
Slideywindows

England 
There are clearly one or two on here who know their stuff - and should be listened to.

Here's how I used my 1948, back in 1973:

Click image to enlarge

A pile of sand, a bag of cement and Maudie the baby Labrador.

All matching numbers etc, but of course, it is not always right to leave a vehicle as old as this "unmolested".

Here's how it was in 1995:

Click image to enlarge

Should I have left it like that, or is it better as it is now?

Click image to enlarge

Reading Ian's post, I am seriously wondering whether now is the time to sell, as I don't use it much these days.

But can money compensate for 44 years of personal history?

Not an easy decision, so I'll probably fudge it - again.
Post #617076 15th Apr 2017 9:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>