↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Help me find my perfect Series!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I would have to think very hard (read as someone with a gun to my head) to part with that.

Really good looking Landy and you know so much of its history. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #617078 15th Apr 2017 8:29pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Hi chaps
Very interesting reading your exchanges. My wife has a 1950,headlamps through the grill, registerd on 3/1/51, that was featured in the Haynes Restoration manual, and done by the writer of the book , Lindsay Porter. It is unusual ,in that it has a factory fitted hard top, but this could always be exchanged for a soft top.The
She uses it infrequently these days ,especially since the arrival of the 90. The vehicle spent about 10 years in a museum prior to being fully recommissioned and our purchase. Would be interested in an offer to purchase, but I do not need the money so l am not giving it away.
Like most of the vehicles of this type it is fitted with a 2 litre spread bore. Matching numbers is a falicy on Series One, as you end up with a unusable vehicle in today's traffic, and take my word for it an upgrade like ours does not make you Jensen Button. Do not buy the 2 litre sizes bore!!
Regards
Swine 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #617087 15th Apr 2017 9:03pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
@slideywindows
How I read the forum, scrolling down with an iPad, the first picture of the 80 was just so fab, the fact that the situation was deemed photo worthy in the 70's was awesome.

Then came the second photo, sat where every body would love to discover them. I go shooting a lot on farm land and always roll slowly through the yards...just in case ( you know the story of Kev from MUD? ).
So to see it sat there (who's it's friend and where is that now?) unused, but kept, mixed emotions!

Then the 'money' shot. The missus took the iPad off me to see, and simply said 'he can't sell it'!

It's value will of course be a LOT of money and surely could be put to use, but I'm sure, as an enthusiast (isn't that why you're reading this......) you'll regret it forever.
Post #617137 16th Apr 2017 6:13am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
This is the big problem now!

All of a sudden that old Land Rover you've had kicking about is now a life changing prospect?
My friend did a 49, it sold last year at the NEC for £40k...

Now he has no mortgage, paid off debts, and had enough to left to build his next project,
He is a diehard enthusiast, but that little LandRover has given him a better quality of life, he was, and still is gutted to have sold it.

He told me to never sell my restored 80" but where do you draw the line?
I'm lucky in the fact I have no mortgage, but to put 40k back in the bank is tempting....

Like I said values will have to even out at some point?
They just can't keep going up? It's the same with every classic at the moment.

Watch the interest rates eventually change, then the classic car market will fold like a pack of cards again,
I just don't want to be thinking in a few years, "should have sold it back then"... Rolling Eyes 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #617143 16th Apr 2017 6:40am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I wish just £40k would pay my mortgage off Big Cry 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #617154 16th Apr 2017 7:25am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Its a shame the way things have gone with old car values. It was a much nicer hobby when you could buy a Series 1 for a couple of hundred pounds, any parts that you wanted were relatively cheap ex MOD stuff or you swapped , bartered parts with other like minded enthusiasts. Now every single nut and bolt is seen as a money making exercise for the Ebay chancers. If you want a Series vehicle I would say buy into Series 2 / 3 for just as much fun for much less layout and hope that they don't go the same way as Series 1's.

Personally I would like to get myself an early 90 coiler in Bronze Green which has been kept in original well maintained condition, the search is on Smile
Post #617202 16th Apr 2017 10:47am
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I must say that I am in total agreement with Defender9. But everything that looks to be of interest is hijacked my the money boys these days. My Traveller was £30 30 years ago. I am sorry to say this but do want to be at the showroom window looking in or looking out ?
Anything that looks as if it can make a profit on Evil bay, will be bought up, tarted up and the sold on to the next chancer, who will both same as long as people can easily relieved of their cash.
It never ceases to amaze me how some of these auction sites are ramping up prices across the board, they only have to describe a piece of junk as sort after or trendy and then some bankers wife with her husband's cheque book is immediately switched into must have at any price mode,,and some 1960's Lada is fetching £30,000
Buy something that nobody wants and never will, (including yourself), and you can be relatively assured that the price will only go down, as will your investment
Happy Days
Swine
Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down ££££ 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #617204 16th Apr 2017 11:13am
Slideywindows

England 
Very sensible comments on here. Thumbs Up

My quandary is that I don't need the money at my time of life, but I could do with the space and lack of responsibilty for its maintenance. If my sons were LR enthusiasts it would be different, but they are not. I think I shall sleep on it for a while longer.....

The "neighbour" in the barn, I regret to say went on the TV, got over-restored and sold at auction for an unprecedented (at the time) price to Mr Khan the Defender blinger.

I regret it because it seems to have been the catalyst for every rich collector in the country wanting a Series One and paying stupid prices to get one.

In retrospect (always a good thing!) I think I'd rather have given it away to a young impecunious true enthusiast who might have kept it for life - but there you go....
Post #617207 16th Apr 2017 11:21am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I'm glad that I bought my Series 1 27 years ago when prices were still sensible. It was a £150 car and the then farmer owner had been struggling to sell it. Trailered home and a guy offered me £100 for the hardtop which I was happy to take as it was completely straight and uncut and I wanted a canvas top. I think it cost me around £2K in genuine ex MOD parts to rebuild all the mechanical bits, the bulkhead and chassis were both excellent. If prices do eventually tank for whatever reason it wont worry me as fortunately I have little money invested.

I feel sorry for the young lad/lass with little spare cash who wants to own a Series one who would become the next generation of enthusiasts. When I was 20 my 1953 80in which I had bought for £250 and spent another £500 to get it on the road was my only means of transport and was only sold when my son was born. Happy Days back then.
Post #617216 16th Apr 2017 12:09pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Here is a classic example of someone making a few quid out of a series motor!

Quick blow over and bobs your uncle Rolling Eyes

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C844411 This sold not that long ago for 12k.....

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C858777 And now 24k...... 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #617258 16th Apr 2017 5:17pm
orkneydave

United Kingdom 
I think I prefered that one in red with actual "patina" rather than blown over in green!
Post #617620 18th Apr 2017 9:27am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Slideywindows wrote:
My quandary is that I don't need the money at my time of life, but I could do with the space and lack of responsibilty for its maintenance.

You must be able to find a local farmer/young enthusiast with barn space. I know I'd happily store and maintain a beautiful Land Rover like this Whistle

However, if your sons really do have no interest in it why not sell and enjoy the money now, even if you just blow it on a once in a life time holiday or experience!

Fascinating thread! Thumbs Up Bow down James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #617628 18th Apr 2017 9:45am
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Slideywindows wrote:
The "neighbour" in the barn, I regret to say went on the TV, got over-restored and sold at auction for an unprecedented (at the time) price to Mr Khan the Defender blinger.

The wife and I both had a good shout at the telly when they obliterated the history of it.

If I was fortunate enough to have acquired a Series 1 when it was still feasible to fix them up and they were not prohibitively expensive to use just for fun, I'd be hanging on to it. If only to annoy the speculators looking at them purely in terms of an investment. I would only sell if I really needed the money and could not obtain it through other means.

I was lucky to find my Series 2. It was straightforward to get all the parts I needed to recomission it and it is not so valuable that I worry too much about leaving it in a public place, loading it full of garden waste or being burdened with the cost of concourse restoration costs. It drives well and apart from being slow is very usable. I wouldn't be looking to buy something as volatile in price as a Series 1 nowadays but look for an early Series 2 before they go the same way.

Last edited by milesr3 on 18th Apr 2017 3:47pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #617643 18th Apr 2017 10:23am
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
They don't "feel" slow though do they?

Always amazes me when I look down and I'm doing 25... "I could have sworn I was doing at least 50" Rolling with laughter
Post #617646 18th Apr 2017 10:28am
Slideywindows

England 
Agreed. Thumbs Up

I became fond of SIIs a few years ago and if I was advising the OP, I would say that a SII/IIA is the way to go.

Good ones are getting more expensive but not too expensive to use, and they won't lose value if you don't modify them.

I have two which I'm halfway through rebuilding (very slowly) and went out yesterday in an old IIA diesel, greenlaning with friends from the Series Two Club.

If all you really want to do is "invest", then buy an album and collect stamps?
Post #617648 18th Apr 2017 10:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>