↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > How many vintage tractor owners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
That is one serious project vehicle. Hat is off to you for even considering it Bow down 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #607766 8th Mar 2017 9:35am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Wow Shocked I honestly didn't expect it to be one of those or one that big. I'm very impressed but I've got to ask - where do you store such a thing?!

I've got a real thing for breakdown cranes and am just starting to read volume 1 of Peter Tatlows tome on the subject. I was also lucky enough to see the 45t R&R crane in operation at Ropley a few weeks ago, which was pretty cool.

Good man! Peter's book is excellent and Vol 1 has a chapter devoted to my crane and its impact on subsequent developments. Have you visited the Breakdown Crane Association website, a veritable goldmine of fascinating information?

My crane is kept at an heritage railway (obvious, I suppose).

The Mid-Hants crane, Ds1580, was the last steam breakdown crane built for a UK railway by Ransomes & Rapier (1945) and owes its design to my 1908 pioneer. Which day were you at Ropley? If it was Friday there is a good chance I was driving the crane when you saw it - since that is another of my eccentricities.

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Sorry, the Iron Fairy is fantastic too, and I can see why you'd want to own such a thing Smile

The Fairy came about because if you are trying to restore a very big crane you need another crane to lift the bits of the very big one.

300TDi CSW Phil wrote:
That is one serious project vehicle. Hat is off to you for even considering it Bow down

Actually, when considered objectively, it is probably the most stupid decision of my life sofar, but on the whole I don't regret it! It is a bottomless money pit, and will never be worth in financial terms what it will cost to restore. It is however very important from an historic perspective and needed to be saved (or so I keep telling myself).
Post #607778 8th Mar 2017 10:25am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
You save away! Laughing
So many like these have been lost/scrapped, even if they get into the hands of someone who simply can't do much with it, other than store it?

It's another one saved, which isn't a bad thing.
I wish I could go back in time to Barry when BR sent all the steam trains down there.... Big Cry 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #607783 8th Mar 2017 10:56am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Where we live each year there is a run of old tractors, great watching them all drive past...

I keep spotting an old ford tractor in a barn that is falling apart around it... maybe I should offer to rescue it Smile

I'm also keen on this, well one like this that a guy I know's has and still uses it... could be handy around the garden and take it to shows..

Click image to enlarge

Its not that one but looks similar... I'm tempted Smile
Post #607784 8th Mar 2017 11:14am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Does a Massey 135 count? It's older than me so surely that counts, right? In a bit of a sorry state right now as it's still used as a slurry scraper but is being retired this year and will be my first attempt at any kind of restoration. If anyone needs parts, I get all mine from Agrline - fairly cheap and you can rebuild pretty much any old tractor from their catalogue. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #607785 8th Mar 2017 11:19am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yup, I reckon a 135 counts now, great little tractor!
Post #607787 8th Mar 2017 11:21am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Farmerben wrote:
Does a Massey 135 count?
I used to drive one when they first came out.
Should have been painted grey. Wink 
Post #607790 8th Mar 2017 11:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
blackwolf wrote:
Good man! Peter's book is excellent and Vol 1 has a chapter devoted to my crane and its impact on subsequent developments. Have you visited the Breakdown Crane Association website, a veritable goldmine of fascinating information?

Oh yes Smile

blackwolf wrote:
My crane is kept at an heritage railway (obvious, I suppose).

Yeah, I suppose Laughing I did have visions of you being an eccentric with it in a barn somewhere, although I guess owning the thing in the first place is eccentric enough.

blackwolf wrote:
The Mid-Hants crane, Ds1580, was the last steam breakdown crane built for a UK railway by Ransomes & Rapier (1945) and owes its design to my 1908 pioneer. Which day were you at Ropley? If it was Friday there is a good chance I was driving the crane when you saw it - since that is another of my eccentricities.

I was there on Saturday. The chap driving seemed to be having trouble selecting the right gears and the banksman was getting a bit exasperated with how long it was taking to make anything happen Whistle All good fun though - it was the first time I've seen one in action and I got some nice pics and video. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #607794 8th Mar 2017 11:54am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
blackwolf wrote:

1908 Ransomes & Rapier steam crane, from an historic perspective this is probably the most important crane of its type to survive in the UK being the first truly modern such machine. Designed to lift 36 tons, actual capacity in excess of 50 tons, weight around 120 tons. Bought in a moment of utter madness by me after narrowly excaping the scrap man, and currently in the early stages of a depressingly expensive and extremely protracted restoration (it really is too big and too expensive a project for one person, sadly, but hopefully I'll get there one day). This is an archive photo from my collection taken probably in the 1950s, since currently the crane is partly dismantled and in dire need of paint - it doesn't look too good at the moment. Sad

Click image to enlarge

If there are any wealthy and generous forum members who'd like to donate maybe £10k to £20k towards its restoration, please feel free to get in touch!

Bow down Bow down

Is that the first one that Gresley tweaked ?

I don't think that 20K would buy the steel cables knowing how much it will cost to renew them on the P way crane at the N.Y.M.R. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #607796 8th Mar 2017 12:14pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
We were the second owner of this one before it was bought by Paul Rackham and fully restored to the condition you see here. At Rackham's auction last year the original owners son bought it, so it went back home.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #607797 8th Mar 2017 12:21pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That's interesting as Paul Rackham's place is just up the road from me. I didn't have time to attend the tractor sale but I did go to his horse drawn vehicles sale the year before. I kicked myself at the time for not buying his show condition harvest wagon but managed to buy it off the high bidder a few months ago.

I only have classic tractors at the mo. '74 Ford 4000 and a Hydrashift DB 1490 with loader. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #607833 8th Mar 2017 2:38pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
The auction was very impressive. I'm not particularly into vintage tractors but I was truly impressed with the extent of the collection and the standard of refurbishment on each and every vehicle. I unfortunately missed the MF collection auction which I would have liked to seen, which included this beauty. I know he was hoping to keep the MF collection complete but not sure if that happened, I think it got split up?

James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #607840 8th Mar 2017 3:26pm
Farmerben

blackwolf wrote:
Yup, I reckon a 135 counts now, great little tractor!

She's had a hell of a lot of stick over the last god-knows-how-many-years (my grandfather bought it new) but still runs great. Going to be a bit like Trigger's broom when it's finished though. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #607842 8th Mar 2017 3:31pm
Farmerben

Laurie wrote:
Farmerben wrote:
Does a Massey 135 count?
I used to drive one when they first came out.
Should have been painted grey. Wink

35 - yeah. 135 looks WAAAAY better red. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #607843 8th Mar 2017 3:32pm
Farmerben

JOW240725 wrote:
We were the second owner of this one before it was bought by Paul Rackham and fully restored to the condition you see here. At Rackham's auction last year the original owners son bought it, so it went back home.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

That is a beaut! Thumbs Up https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #607845 8th Mar 2017 3:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>