Home > Pictures & Video > G4 TDCI anyone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Glynparry25 wrote:
mse wrote:
But actually camel trophy weren't standard cars...land rover did a lot to upgrade them mechanically and in design. Something the did ot do in g4 as the wanted STD saleable cars (which is fine) camel was about showing what the can do.

News to me.

Engine was a 200Tdi followed by 300Tdi..., (They weren't modified in any way)
Mantec snorkel (As on G4)
Mantec Steering guard (As on G4)
Roof rack (as on G4)
Expedition gear (as on G4)
Winch (as on G4)
Mantec load area cage (as on G4)

Mantec Tank guard (Not needed on Defender as much as Discovery)
Twin shock setup on rear (Not needed on Defender as it has a higher losd rating)
Bull bar (Not alowed to fit them on new vehicles)

Safety Devices roll cage.... Probably the only big difference.

The publicity was that they were 'Standard' vehicles, look what they can do.... not here are 'extensivly modified' vehicles, look what they can do after you have spent another small fortune on it.

Rover Group Marketing Director Martin Runnacles wrote:
"We have enjoyed a unique relationship with the Camel Trophy event over almost two decades and it has played a major role in sustaining the image of Land Rover as the manufacturer of the best 4x4's in the world. However, with the changing character of the event it will no longer provide us with an active demonstration of Land Rover's brand essence - limitless capability. We wish Camel Trophy every success with their new format. As for Land Rover, future activities will concentrate on our customer base with the emphasis very much on rugged off-road adventure."

I agree, the end of Camel trophy was because of links to tobaco etc, but Land Rover had already pulled out a year before any of that happened...

Glyn Sheep

They had many standard and customised items either made by SVO, mantec or other suppliers that you wouldnt get on G4.

I wasnt refering to the engine specifically (eg modified power outputs) but even that had little customised bits to deal with punishment - either a friend at LRE (who was an SVO engineer) or one of my camel videos even says the vehicles were not standard - they did however, say this is what and LR can do.

I remember going into SVO and seening them prep them up - they would almost fully break them down (from the ones i saw) and rebuild them. HD suspension (which was custom made) other components were upgraded. Roll cage was not standard or an option and was made - as was the roof rack which in earlier events was bolted onto the roll cage.

The Freelander even had no production special kit put on...one easy example was the front and rear winch and steering/skid guard.

As for pulling it...they new years in advance (and plan that far), but there were other reasons, corporate image, environmental, cost of the scheme, new owners that were as (if not more important) than the tobaco advertising ban

One of the design priniciples of the G4 was that the event had to inspire and show capability and responsbility but that you needed to be able to go in and buy all the parts used from an LR dealer and have fitted...this was not possible in the camel days. Mike
Post #53172 15th Jan 2011 7:29pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
mse wrote:

I remember going into SVO and seening them prep them up - they would almost fully break them down (from the ones i saw) and rebuild them. HD suspension (which was custom made) other components were upgraded. Roll cage was not standard or an option and was made - as was the roof rack which in earlier events was bolted onto the roll cage.

The 'HD' Suspension consisted of the Range Rover HD springs (as used by police etc) and they welded another axle shock moun to the rear of the axle and another upper mount to the rear of the chassis- this allowed a twin (standard shocks) setup.

Roll cage was Standard from Safety devices.....along with the roof rack to fit to it. Tou can still buy all these parts from SD.

mse wrote:
The Freelander even had no production special kit put on...one easy example was the front and rear winch and steering/skid guard.

Skid plates were manufactured (and are still available) by Mantec The winch attached to the Mantec nudge bar.

mse wrote:
As for pulling it...they new years in advance (and plan that far), but there were other reasons, corporate image, environmental, cost of the scheme, new owners that were as (if not more important) than the tobaco advertising ban

Corporate image..... If you watch them all you can see why LR gave up and stopped supplying vehicles.
Enviromental..... Complete rubbish- They barely broke the grass/ snow in the last 2 events.
Cost of the scheme....... Irrelevant when you have vehicles given to you and huge sponsors like Camel.
New owners were WBI, producers of Camel Trophy clothing and watches, their parent company was a tobacco manufacturer, so couldn't continue the sponsorship.

[quote="mse2]One of the design priniciples of the G4 was that the event had to inspire and show capability and responsbility but that you needed to be able to go in and buy all the parts used from an LR dealer and have fitted...this was not possible in the camel days.[/quote]

Yes and no. If you walk into your Land Rover dealership and ask for them to source and fit a Safety Devices roll cage.... they would. I know because I did this and they would have done it.... I didn't take them up on the offer as they wanted 4 times more than I could get the work done elsewhere.

Camel Trophy was one of the main reasons I got so enthusiastic about Land Rovers, and when I wanted a Camel Discovery I realised I wouldn't be able to afford one so started looking into upgrading my Discovery to the same spec. I spent months on end reserching the vehicles, talking to people on the origional events, people who own Camel Discoverys and even spent hours looking over them. I prety much know them inside out..... never got round to making mine into one in the end as buying a cage and fitting it would have cost 4 times more than I bought the Discovery for in the first place.

Glyn Sheep
Post #53183 15th Jan 2011 8:23pm
mse

I think you have started to prove my point on the modified vehicles...all of this (and more) was a developement of SVO and in no way standard etc etc.

As for safety Devices - that came about because SVO contracted them (as they still do have the ability to instruct companies to make kit for special vehicles)

As for the environmental impact - only the last possbily two event werent as agressive (but still were and carried the image before) - but that was for environmental and image reasons and to show the freelander. Dont underestimate this - im sorry if you think rubbish, but you couldnt be further from the mark

Cost of the Scheme to Land Rover was HUGE - as was G4 which is why it was stopped. I think you underestimate this element and the cost born by Land Rover - whilst sponsorship helped - this was to some extent a loss leading marketing thing to improve the brand and get people in.

There was a lot of other media pressure around the Rover Group and LR at the time lots of changes in mentality etc...its difficult to remember all that now - but a more hippy approach was going mainstream

The new owners - were Land Rovers new owners!! not Camel - who didnt dictate LR's policy

And you miss the point on equipment - Land Rover wanted the G4 equipment to be direct LR approved kit so it could be aspirational and achievable for G4 from new and whilst within the warranty life of the car (eg the time you go to the dealer). Its all about lifestyle choice.Whatever you say Camel was not.
Yes some kit you could get in the catalogue (although not always identical) - the majority you couldnt. Yes you could then ask a dealer to source it (which most would probably) but that wasnt a Land Rover thing, didnt carry any of the warranties etc and was adhoc and bespoke and only if you knew could you get it. You highlight this on things like the suspension.

Camel Trophy did its job and was great - it pushed brand image, highlighted capability and increased a following on a global scale
G4 was a marketing tool - with lesser impact but pushed a corporate responsbility (another reason to move from CT) message whilst showing the aspirational bit of the brand to prospective purchasers - served its purpose.

There is lots here and more detail to keep out.

But i suppose i was fortunate that at the time of Camel I knew a lot of people directly involved in it and the spin off links and was very fortunate to play around with some stuff not 3rd hand - but actually first hand inside Land Rover, certainly more family and friend connections than i have now!...i even actually have the t-shirts!

I suppose your final point about researching spec of Camel (which to a degree you can do) to make yours to it is exactly the reason it went for G4 - you could go into a dealer a buy it as it was much more standard...no roll cage, no special suspension, or axel improvements (yes there were on some) or body configurations or equipment or 3rd parities...bar the colour, everything on a G4 car you can source from and LR Dealer at sale.

On an aside...i also heard of another reason why G4 was ditched, but i probably shouldnt repeat it openly

Both events were good for everything, company, capability and following - both had their time and purpose. Mike
Post #53220 16th Jan 2011 1:37am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
mse wrote:
I think you have started to prove my point on the modified vehicles...all of this (and more) was a developement of SVO and in no way standard etc etc.

Why would Land Rover provide vehicles for an event when their vehicles aren't actualy able to do it as standard?.... Would also come down to false advertising (Land Rover did use it as a marketing tool).

mse wrote:
As for safety Devices - that came about because SVO contracted them (as they still do have the ability to instruct companies to make kit for special vehicles)

They wouldn't have contracted them... They would have put out specifications to any company who wanted the job with the promise of a certain number of units to be sold with the first order...... then for the following 9 years they didn't need to change it at all.

mse wrote:
As for the environmental impact - only the last possbily two event werent as agressive (but still were and carried the image before) - but that was for environmental and image reasons and to show the freelander. Dont underestimate this - im sorry if you think rubbish, but you couldnt be further from the mark

If this was so, how come so many events such as Paris-Dakar, Rainforest Challenge, Outback Challenge are still running year after year after year?

mse wrote:
Cost of the Scheme to Land Rover was HUGE - as was G4 which is why it was stopped. I think you underestimate this element and the cost born by Land Rover - whilst sponsorship helped - this was to some extent a loss leading marketing thing to improve the brand and get people in.

Let me get this right.... 2009 Land Rover pull out (not because of why they say they did) but because they couldn't afford to sponsor it...... Then 3 years later they start up an event with no other sponsors (so they are paying out even more than CT) and provid not just the 'base' vehicles, but Discovery HSE, Range Rover HSE, Defender XS and Range Rover Sport HSE....... To me that is going out to buy and 1 bedroom flat, because a 2 bedroom house is too expensive and then setteling on a Mansion.

MSE wrote:
There was a lot of other media pressure around the Rover Group and LR at the time lots of changes in mentality etc...its difficult to remember all that now - but a more hippy approach was going mainstream

They didn't want to upset the sector in the market that wouldn't even consider buying one?

mse wrote:
The new owners - were Land Rovers new owners!! not Camel - who didnt dictate LR's policy

Not too sure what you mean, but if you mean that it was Land Rovers new owners that declaired that they were pulling out of CT it doesn't make sense. Ford didn't take ownership of Land Rover until March 2000.... which means BMW would have said no to taking part in CT 2000 afte rowning it for 6 years.

mse wrote:
And you miss the point on equipment - Land Rover wanted the G4 equipment to be direct LR approved kit so it could be aspirational and achievable for G4 from new and whilst within the warranty life of the car (eg the time you go to the dealer). Its all about lifestyle choice.Whatever you say Camel was not.
Yes some kit you could get in the catalogue (although not always identical) - the majority you couldnt. Yes you could then ask a dealer to source it (which most would probably) but that wasnt a Land Rover thing, didnt carry any of the warranties etc and was adhoc and bespoke and only if you knew could you get it. You highlight this on things like the suspension.

Back when Camel Trophy was running 'extras' went as far as light guards, winch, alloy wheels etc. You couldn't add much of the G4 kit to a vehicle through LR back then...... The reason you can buy all the G4 kit now is because there is a market.

Think about it.... when people buy Land Rovers, they will tend to go out and buy a snorkel, winch, light guards, steering guard.... so Land Rover offer them as standard.... if everyone who bought a Land Rover then went and bought a roll cage... guess what- Land Rover would start offering it a standard option- it is simple marketing.

mse wrote:

But i suppose i was fortunate that at the time of Camel I knew a lot of people directly involved in it and the spin off links and was very fortunate to play around with some stuff not 3rd hand - but actually first hand inside Land Rover, certainly more family and friend connections than i have now!...i even actually have the t-shirts!

I was given a Camel Trophy t-shirt from one of the competitors from the event... who better to pass on the experiences of the vehicle than the person who spent days sweating and bleeding on it? Or will it be the guy who gets paid to fit parts? Also, I belive that getitng in and around a vehicle that is the same as it was back then is still 1st hand.

As a note... When people get a special project in work they will tend to exagerate it.... What will they say...

"I am working on next years CT Land Rovers... they are just the same as normal ones"
or
"I am working on next years CT Land Rovers... They are awesome, we are upgrading EVERYTHING!"

I know people who's family think they are fighting Taliban on the front line every day they are away, but realistically they are in a ISO container out of harms way in camp Bastion.

Fact of life is that many people exagerate to make themselves look and feel good around friends and family- no one wants to be Mr no-one (Little cog in the big machine).

Glyn Sheep
Post #53311 16th Jan 2011 7:00pm
mse

Wow where to start.

I think this is one where unfortuantely the forum method is causing you to miss some of the points, or linking a couple of points together where the association isnt.

Land Rover used them as a marketing tool yes...but they needed to make the vehicles actually do the job and they did that and they did. Im sure the definition of standard is something for seperate debate...but you own ommision highlights the none standard elements - things you couldnt order from the factory, parts book or the accessory catalogue.

SVO did contract with them - its similar to mantec and others. SVO have a special contracting rules outside of the main LR processes

The environmental impact was very important and the brand image - im not talking about Camel's image Exclamation im talking land rovers Thumbs Up Whatever you think Camel was a very extreeme event with many environmental elements good and bad (they did try some to do some good) - but this was a big deal and the global market was changing for a global car brand

again i think you miss the point i make on funding and confuse CT and G4. Camel Trophey had its reasons for stopping, funding wasnt really one of them, although the cost was huge and so did G4. G4 was more one of funding - this was more the Camel Trophey to Land Rover, and it was to that event i refer - thats well out there and why economic times stopped the G4 event.

Again the hard core image off roading was the media/metal pressures - it needed to move more mainstream (hence the start with Freelander) and as such capability was important but so was the need to link that back to making LR appeal to wide worldwide audience on every level.

Im talking BMW and Ford and the ownership transfer to BMW (who had a very different "more anti") owner mentality than ford - who recognised the LR following - but all about sales of the cars and company

I seem to think you make my point on accessories and mainstreaming it and possibly confuse the two events.
CT - Very little on offer, was my point. After Market - you could get loads of it.
G4 - was about making everyone have access to it and everything on the car and used in the event purchasable from the dealers (one reason you can get bikes etc)

The roll cage arguement you make doesnt stack and certainly isnt the point. THe point about mainstreaming underwrites all my points, making it appealing and a lifestyle choice. That is where the sector is thats what CT wasnt and thats where the company moved - Luxury and capable 4x4's that fitted a lifestyle choice - G4 captured that than thus why you can buy the kit.

If you are going to invest in an event for marketing it has to fit - the mentalities changed and thus the needs from the event and thus flying the LR product image. G4 was LR's event and was about appealing to a range of people and pushing the products image - making sure you could get the kit from a dealer was also good business - getting the interest was good marketing!

Links were a little closer than man and his dog knew someone

I think thats about it! Mike
Post #53329 16th Jan 2011 7:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123