↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Where to mount a second spare wheel on a TDCi 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Where to mount a second spare wheel on a TDCi 110
Thinking about where to put a second spare wheel and tyre on my 110 USW - wondered if anyone had some ideas

I've thought about a double wheel carrier - but this means moving lights number plates etc and would make moving about in the under tent awning space dificult

I don't want to have more weight on the roof rack than I need to - what with a RTT already planned
Not legal to put another wheel in the bonnet - and being a TDCi I'm not sure I could see over it any way!
Thought about taking just a spare tyre - no wheel, to cut down on weight and have more useable space

Don't want to do what the army boys do and mount on the side of the truck

Seems options come back to mounting it inside the utility - but with no bulkhead to mount against. Or underneath?? Or front??

PS - need also to consider how it would fit with a cargo/dog guard

PPS - for overland use I may well end up taking 1 or 2 of the second row seats out

Wheel/tyre will be 285/75 x8" x16"

Ideas anyone?
Post #51895 8th Jan 2011 11:58pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
i used the second row space. In my case all seats folded. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #51908 9th Jan 2011 1:30am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Are you going to be installing a storage draw in the back? A tyre might fit between the back of the draw and the load guard. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #51927 9th Jan 2011 10:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Not a help, but I was wondering few days ago if a thinner tires (like 7.50x16) would fit onto the bonnet? Would be cool to go back on this. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #51932 9th Jan 2011 10:57am
daviec1

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
Ref second spare on the rear wheel carrier. Having looked at my own carrier (Sonic / Alisport), it would appear possible to have longer mounting bolts for the wheel, fix first in place, then mount second wheel "piggybacked" on first.

The kit certainly looks strong enough to cope with the extra weight, although maybe Sonic could clarify.

Maybe want to fit reversing sensors onto finished article though!!
Post #51946 9th Jan 2011 12:13pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Thanks for the ideas - keep them coming

In terms of the questions raised:
not sure if I will fit a storage drawer - the thought appeals but I wonder about the lack of flexibility that will bring to the back of the truck. But I will measure up to see if that space is long enough. If I do go with a storage drawer I had in mind to install a short chest in that area but I could do without. Also water/fuel would be good to go in the centre of the vehicle - suppose I could get a rack for the fuel and modify it to hold the spare......there's an idea

Wheel in the second row where the folded up 60% seat would have gone sounds sensible

If I were to take a spare tyre but not wheel for #6 how easy would it be for a puny office boy like me to change my own tyre in the field?

If I were to mount the wheel against the utility side panel (inside) do you think the panel would eventually shake itself to bits? Feels like it would need a strengthening frame.

Thanks for the posts so far
Post #52281 10th Jan 2011 10:40pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Changing a tyre in the field is not too difficult in the case of a steel rim designed for use with an inner tube (done it many times!) but is, I am reliably informed, well-nigh impossible with tubeless tyres, or wheels intended for tubeless tyres, due to the fact that the bead is a much tighter fit on the rim.

It may be that there are tools or techniques to allow it to be done; hopefully someone here will know.
Post #52309 11th Jan 2011 12:35am
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
SteveS wrote:

If I were to take a spare tyre but not wheel for #6 how easy would it be for a puny office boy like me to change my own tyre in the field?

Changing a tyre is very easy, just make sure you practice and if you have alloys you will probably damage them using tyre levers though it is possible to do it ( i use bits of old tractor inner tube to protect the alloy if it really has to be done).

The only problem with taking just a tyre is if you damage a wheel as well as the tyre. i know this will be very unlikely with you carrying another wheel and tyre that you can use but its something to think about. If you think you need 2 spares then i would be thinking about it anyway.

How about just carrying a emergency repair can of stuff (holts makes one i think) and a good compressor. One spare, a good compressor and a emergency tyre repair kit will normally get you to somewhere where you can source a new tyre/wheel. Would take up far less space and you can always get somebody else home in a emergency too with it or a trailer.

Just a thought anyway, would save a little space.

Pete.
Post #52310 11th Jan 2011 12:43am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Its easy to change tyres if you have the kit. I have one of these it will even shift 19" MTR's of a D3 rim.

Bead Cheater 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #52314 11th Jan 2011 1:05am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
you can also do it with a hi lift jack. you place the wheel with the tyre to come off it on the ground just under the heaviest point of the vehicle, chock opposing wheels, then you put the foot of the jack on the tyre next to the rim. jack the vehicle up and the weight of it breaks the bead. goes without saying really that you have to be careful doing this, but it does work. I've done it twice with a land cruiser with no drama.

i was at BOAB recently and they have "tyre pliers" which look like they'd work well.
Post #52334 11th Jan 2011 11:47am
rick

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Put it on your roof (using a roof tray) and secure it with a ratchet strap. The roof tray is extremely useful for other things as well. Standing on the roof, use a piece of rope to lift up/down the second tyre (if you ever need it - should be a rare event).
Cheers,
Rick. 1998 RR HSE
2007 RRS TDV6
2008 Defender 110
2015 Discovery Sport
Post #52519 12th Jan 2011 10:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1